“Warning!!! Spiders and bugs everywhere at the "Resort"”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Dubuque
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Resort is not the right word for this run down,50 year old drive up motel. However,the biggest issue was the tremendous amount of spiders and bugs everywhere.....like one big spider web on the entire side of the motel. Of course, this translated to actual spider webs in my room!! When this was pointed out to the General Manager he acted like he had heard this complaint before. Run down and they try to get by 'on the cheap'. Simple regular bug spray/maint. would correct the problem. If this wasn't enough,this resort has the worst breakfast I've ever seen and I travel very frequently. Again, "on the cheap" Didn't touch the "breakfast" Stay away from motel!! Stay in Dubuque--on the Iowa side!!

Room Tip: There isn't one---don't stay there.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

Reviewed July 23, 2012

It's okay if you just want to stay away from home for a night and have a place to crash. We went gambling so we were only at the hotel for time to sleep. If you are looking for a "Resort".... Don't go here... Spend some money and go to the Julien.. It's more pricey, but the breakfast there is amazing, where Timmermans has.....barely anything..
The pool looks nice in the pictures, but it is very very dark and murky, not a pool I'd swim in again...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was probably a gem in it's hay day but that has long passed. The staff was friendly enough but the place is really dated. There were a lot of unsupervised kids everywhere so we could not enjoy the pool or hot tub. At one point I had to go in the hall and ask the kids to stop running up and down the halls and wrestling. The front desk staff was monitoring the situation and had been up several times but could not be the hall monitor all day and night.
The room was clean, poorly lit, the bed and pillows comfortable although the comforter was stained. Looks like it was painted recently. We did like the fridge in the room. Water pressure was really poor even in the sink. Window in our second floor room would not lock.
We passed on the breakfast, my husband went down and came back and told me not to bother. We checked out and went to Galena to eat
We did appreciate the shuttle to the casino and the front desk staff trying to keep control on all the rowdy kids.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbi R
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Cobwebs (tons) in corners and between heater and corner. Crumbs under desk, table, and under bed skirt. There are black hairs stuck into 2 pillow cases! Only the 3rd floor's ice machine works. Top of the toilet is dirty and another black hair is under the lid of the toilet.

Pictures make the place look nice. Shame on them! As soon as our pizza gets here and my husband gets back, we are OUT of here!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Denise Y
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel & resort while on a tournament weekend, and the place was awful. When my team pulled up there were no cars in the parking lot, it was completely deserted. Then when we finally got into our rooms, they were YELLOW. The lights were super dull, and everything looked old. Since my room was on the main floor, there is a patio door that leads out to another parking lot. I tried the door, and the heavy glass door was unlocked, and the screen was broken and wide open. Some members on my team, moved the table in the room in front of the door to feel more safe. In addition, the staff is not that pleasant. It was just my team (party of 21) and we were going from room to room, when the desk clerk starts yelling at other members to quiet down and that we would wake up the other guests (mind you, our four vans were the ONLY vehicles in the parking lot). The continental breakfast, was very poor. There was almost nothing refreshed, and it was not maintained. When my coach went to let the staff know, apparently it was the patron's responsibility to let a staff member know that something needed to be done. This hotel literally looked like a scene from Vacancy. I definitely would NOT recommend this place as somewhere reputable, or a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the main floor might be a little safer.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Timmerman's Resort during a 5 day seminar this past November and we were attracted by the better than average reviews. I was able to find a very competitive rate to stay here and wanted to avoid the lower priced and lower rated hotels & motels I found online as well as the super expensive ones that would have killed my budget.
When we arrived to check in the first thing we noticed was that the chlorine smell from the pool was overwhelmingly powerful... Thankfully we got a room on the second floor protected from the odor by a stairway and a fire door. I think this is an area for us where the location lost a lot of points since we were planning on using the jaccuzzi and pool, but stayed away from it since we did not want to inhale poisonous gas or over-bleach our hair and skin if in fact the pool had been over chlorinated! It made me wonder maybe they need to improve the ventilation system, or figure out how to use it if it is operable (or use less cholrine in the pool).
The "resort" itself was perfect for our needs since all we did was use it for sleeping and checking email (FREE WI-FI for your latop!!!), but if I had a family I'm not sure that I would have been completely satisfied. The hotel rooms were a little on the small side, and everything looks at least one to several decades out of style. The tap water had a "funkiness" to it and when we were there and we had to purchase bottled water in town since the vending machines we found were out. I would not have used the tap water I saw for anything other than washing hands or bathing. Thankfully the beds were comfortable with clean sheets and the room seemed well kept. There is a huge party room with a bar (no bartender) and big screen projection TV with cable or satellite TV. There is also a game room with some older arcade games and a pool table. They also have a workout room with some exercise equipment in it. This place would be even better if the owners could attract a bigger number of people to it so they could afford to update it, and if they had some fun activities for people and their families to participate in. I would say if you want to bring your family here, bring enough kids to keep them all entertained, or plan on coming up with something for them to do if they are not self-starters.
Another area that we were a little let down on was the complimentary breakfast. It sounded good online to have that as an additional perk, but it was mostly processed food and if you wanted a waffle, you had to make it yourself! I was a little surprised by the self-serve part, I have not ever seen that before with pancakes and waffles, but understadable with the fewer number of people staying there. They did have a decent variety of cold cereals if you are into that, as well as some instant hot oats available. I was glad that there were bagels, muffins and cream cheese, as well as some orange juice, coffee, tea, maple syrup, jam packets, butter and a microwave. We assumed there would be more hot foods and things like eggs, bacon, hash browns, and sausage links when its referred to as a Continental breakfast. I can understand that they do not provide those things considering that they seemed to be operating on a tight budget and there were few people staying at the "resort". One reason that the complimentary breakfast was not a bigger let down is that there was a refrigerator in the room! For us, this was scored a lot of points. Another thing that was really helpful for us, although not related to the hotel was that we ended up going into Dubuque (IA side) everyday and we were able to find a Co-op that sold organic foods (YAY!) Even if the breakfast options were not at our higher standards, one could purchase something that is easily prepared and store it in their room for the morning and make it themselves in the buffet area. Not enough places I have stayed at include a fridge in the room, forcing you to either consume what ever they have offered, or go into town and pay for some restaraunt food.
The staff was very nice and could hold a conversation, although there was an older woman there who no matter how much I tried to do something to get her to really smile, it was a very tough sell (maybe my charm was not at peak levels when I was there) She seemed pretty unfulfilled working there, and it showed a little too much when trying to interact with her.
Overall, I would say with some work and investment from the owners, this would be an excellent place to stay in the future if that happens.

In the meantime~
Pros:
Affordable, Good value for the price, Very close to Dubuque, No shortage of room availablity, There are extra amenities (FREE WI-Fi, pool, jaccuzi, game room, exercise equipment, bar), fridge in room, Breakfast pantry is stocked and available for your own use. Staff was pretty good, for the most part. Local, Family-owned business (Support family owned and local biz first when you can!)

Cons: Chlorine smell was too strong for us to venture into the pool room, dated decor, sometimes felt like we could be on the set of the movie "The Shining" since the hotel felt a little "too empty", "Continental" breakfast was overstated, we would call it "self-serve breakfast pantry available for your use", Needs "something" to bring it back to its former glory days, Seems like it had once been a hang out for the "good 'ol boys club" which has long since died out.

Final Thought: Could have been a little better, could have been much worse!
Grade: B-

Room Tip: Get a room well away from the pool if you are sensitive to chlorine, or, if you would rather not fin...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2011

we paid only $54 a night through Orbitz and were resigned to the idea that it might not be the best experience due to other reviews we read. The hotel was updated, clean, comfortable, and pleasant. We didn't use the pool but scoped it out and it was really nice and clean. If I was SEARCHING for something to complain about it would be that the continental breakfast was finished by 9 a.m. and isn't worth waking up for, and the cleaning staff wanted to get into our room so badly to finish up for the day we had an awkward moment where she literally came in while we were still getting ready to leave, and cleaned around us while I was blow-drying my hair. This doesn't change the fact that I'd give our overall experience an 8 out of 10 for what we expected. It's not a fancy place, not a resort, but definately a Holiday Inn level experience for a lot less cash and a great location - just far enough away from Galena to save a heap of cash, but close enough to come back to the hotel and go out again later multiple times.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the elevations, Mississippi river. I'd recommend asking for a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Dubuque
Hampton Inn Dubuque
#1 of 17 in Dubuque

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!