Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsroom was cleangreat customer servicefront desk staffice machineenjoyed my stayericajuliuschicagomoteldellilironlinensmall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Rarely have we encountered such a bad experience that it would cause us to seriously avoid an entire chain, but on our last trip, we had one. Without going into detail, let's just say that someone left a little (okay, a LARGE), uh, gift for us in the commode. We assume it was the last maid to have cleaned the room, though we don't know for sure. Why that person didn't report the clogged toilet to have it snaked is beyond comprehension. We didn't discover this frightening fact until after we had moved all our suitcases into the room and settled in for some TV. The less than personable desk clerk did move us to another room, but the entire experience put us off Red Roof Inns in general. We have heard that others have enjoyed positive experiences for reasonable rates, but it's hard not to associate this unbelievable experience with Red Roof Inns.

Room Tip: We learned the hard way to ask to be let into a room to look it over before saying "Yes, we'll take it."
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
i0087, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for bringing this horrific experience to my attention! On behalf of the staff involved, I accept personal responsibility that we did not provide you a stay that left you feeling confident, or delighted with either the room quality or level of service you were provided. I certainly understand how this instance may forever impact your decision to stay at another Red Roof Inn. Should any of your concerns still need to be properly addressed, then please feel free to call me at the hotel direct, and allow me the opportunity to do so. When making your future lodging decisions, I only ask that you at least keep in mind that you absolutely can enjoy positive experiences for reasonable rates at Red Roof Inns, as you kindly pointed out hearing from others, and that you allow us, or any other Red Roof Inn, the chance to "make it right" and have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I went here for my birthday and walked away very disappointed. The lady at the front desk, Dellar, could not have been more unpleasant or more unfriendly. She made zero eye contact, didn't smile, or make us feel welcome in the hotel at all. It was almost like we were bothering her by simply showing. Is that hard to smile, say hi, and look me in the eye? There's no excuse for treating me like trash. As far as the room itself, the bed is hard as a rock. I got no sleep this night, as I couldn't get comfortable on this stiff bed. It couldn't have been more uncomfortable. Upon checking out, we had to deal with Dellar, who kept us waiting for a half hour, to check out, as she took care of one customer, who she was also giving attitude to as well. I saw another worker there and he simply weaseled out the backdoor instead of taking my room key. Way to take care of the customers, Red Roof Inn, Downer's Grove. Once again, she took the key and didn't say a word, not a thank you, have a great day. Here is the kicker: I called the next week to talk about my experience, they took down my phone number and promised me I would hear from the manager. Well, guess what? He never called me either, which is why I'm telling others about my issue with them. I wanted to direct it to him, but he doesn't answer his phone apparently or care enough to call a customer, so I'm warning others to stay away from this hell hole of unfriendliness, rudeness, and lack of care.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
i0087, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

I am sorry to hear that neither the staff nor management has been responsive to your concerns. You certainly have every right to be upset given your experience. As the current acting manager, it would be my pleasure to assist you. Please feel free to contact the hotel at your convenience so that we may appropriately address the issues you experienced with us.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

First of all, the weekend I was looking to stay in the Chicago area must have been popular, because hotel prices were through the roof everywhere! I was lucky to find this hotel at $55/night. I definitely did not have high expectations, but I still feel that this experience fell short in a few areas, even given the low rate that I paid. When we arrived, the room was not stocked as it should be. There was only one bath towel, no washcloths, and no soap or toiletries. It was late and I didn't want to make a trip down to the lobby, so I waited until the next day to go get these necessary items, but it was still an inconvenience. I'm not sure why the room wasn't prepared.
The bed was comfortable enough, no complaints there. Three pillows were given for a king bed. The room was definitely clean, which I appreciated greatly!
Service was minimal and not the greatest quality. There was never more than one person working in the lobby and each time I was there they had a line of at least three people, resulting in long waits for assistance.
The outdoor appearance of the hotel isn't great, but is maintained well enough. Generally, if you're looking for a good value and want a clean room, this will suffice, but I would have preferred paying more for a nicer experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest opinion about your stay, including both the challenges and the positives. I am sorry to hear about your experiences with your guestroom and the overall service, and you are certainly correct about the provision of standard amenities such as the towels in the room. I appreciate your choosing this location, and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to "make it right" in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked my room online (Red Roof's own website) and when I checked in they didn't have a room with two double beds, despite the confirmation I had. They "upgraded" me to a room with one king size bed. That was great accept there were three people in my party. One of had to sleep on the floor. The service was less than stellar, but I guess how much can you ask for when you're paying $55 per night. If that wasn't enough, I turned the a/c unit on to drown out the loud people who were hanging out in the parking lot. The room itself, wasn't actually too bad and was clean. The clean room was the ONLY reason I didn't rate this hotel as terrible. However, I won't be staying the RRI in Downers Grove anytime in the next century.

Room Tip: Check in early!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

It appears that there were several issues happening all at once, and I am sorry that you had to experience them all. While I certainly can understand your reasoning as to why you may choose another lodging option in the future, I hope you will take into consideration that all of these events are out of the ordinary for Red Roof Inns. Please know that all correctable issues will be addressed.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We found ourselves without electricity at home due to a severe storm in Lombard IL, (5 miles away) and needed to find some relief. RRI, Downers Grove, provided just what we needed. The hotel was clean, comfortable and cool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay! While the the reason you had to stay with us was not pleasant, we are pleased that your experience with us was!