“Special Staff”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
coppell, texas
“Special Staff”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had an extended stay at this hotel due to the hospitalization and passing of our Mother. The hotel was clean and well managed with the hospitality kitchen kept immaculate during the weekdays. The staff, especially Diane and Latrice, went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Their kindness and words of comfort helped ease some of the sadness. Every business should be lucky enough to have employees like these women.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fastcarCoppell_Texas
Katie D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Wow! Those are very kind words. I will surely celebrate your kind words with all of the staff, but especially Diana and Latrice. We are so blessed to have them and appreciate all that they do. Thank you for noticing their efforts and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This staff at this hotel is the nicest I've ever encountered. The front desk attendant over heard my sister and I saying the lobby coffee was lukewarm (in their defense, it was 7:00 pm and probably past peak coffee consumption), and she absolutely insisted in making us a fresh pot. She hand delivered us two cups of coffee to our room. The woman at breakfast, I believe it's Diana, is the sweetest, warmest woman. She runs that kitchen as if it were her own home, it's like mom bringing you out freshly cooked breakfast sausage and sweet rolls.
Yes, the beds are small. Yes, the hotel is slightly older. But it is clean, well cared for, and full of staff members that provide genuine service. My family and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words! Our guests are our number one priority and we want you to feels as though you are at home when you stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you again soon!
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I only stayed one night here for business. I needed a refrigerator which was promptly delivered to my room while I was out for dinner. Room was pleasant, bed was comfy and a good nights rest was had. Front desk manager was more than accomodating and very friendly checking in and after the refrigerator was delivered as I passed through the lobby she recognized me and called me by name sharing that the frig was delivered. Nice touch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tricia M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for review. On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise . Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes
that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide. Again, let me thank you for your kind words. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.
Regards
Tricia McCallum
Lanark, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel and we were once again very pleased. Although we prebooked (and prepaid), my husband's surgery was canceled, and the hotel was kind enough to allow us to change our stay to a different night which we greatly appreciated. We stayed Christmas Eve and they had a sign up that in order to allow their housekeeping staff to celebrate Christmas, if we needed towels, we should come get some. Since we were checking out Christmas morning, it didn't bother me that there wouldn't be housekeeping but if we were staying another night, to not have the bed made and bathroom tidied up would have been a bit of a sore spot. In addition, we requested a late checkout when we arrived back to the hotel about midnight Christmas Eve but were told that that could not be accomodated. This I didn't quite understand; since there wasn't going to be housekeeping cleaning the room anywhere, why would it matter if we stayed an hour or two later? Nobody was obviously going to be checking into it. Overall, though, a nice stay. And Diana, who worked the breakfast, was delightful! Very friendly, beautiful smile and just a lovely person that made everyone there feel so welcome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am thanking you for your comments. I am glad that we were able to accommodate the date change for you. I'm concerned about the issue you experienced with our hotel, and thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention. I want you to know that the concerns of our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. It will help us to avoid a similar situation in the future. A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Consequently, it was disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. I hope that you can give us another opportunity to make your stay a happy one next time.
Tricia McCallum
General Manager.
Mumbai
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week almost a year back but still cherish good memories. I have also stayed in regular HI but this HI express was equally good to an HI. The rooms were spacious and clean. Complementary Hot continental Breakfast was good but less variety. But that is fine few days. The best part is about the location of this hotel. There are many restaurants and casual dining options in the 5-10 mins walking distance –like a Red lobster, Subway, Burger king etc. being a hardcode vegetarian having a sub and BG was a great advantage for me. Staff at front desk was very nice and co-operative. Overall a great stay and would definitely recommend for not too lavish travelers. I will definitely stay here during mu next trip.

Room Tip: almost all rooms are good...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Arlington, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This property is a great example for other express hotels. While the facility is not the most modern, it has been updated and is very nice. The staff is amazing and very willing to meet any reasonable request. The breakfast is warm and the greeting from the staff is a great way to start the day. Everyone seems to really genuinely care about the guest experience. The house keeping staff is good as well. But the management and senior staff are what make this property a definite return for me.

I checked into this property after another hotel chain had not met my expectations, and I knew that my stay could turn into a longer trip that most. The check-in experience was easy and they offered me information and a bottle of water, which was not expected at 1:00 am. Over the course of 90+ days, I got to know each of the staff members and was able to stay in a couple of different rooms. The pictures are accurate, and while the property is not plush it is very nice for this level of hotel.

As for my story, a couple of days before checkout, there was an error in my billing. Simple fix and chalked up to just human error. I talked to a couple of the front desk associates about the error and each reviewed my folio and repeated that they were very sorry for my troubles and stated that it had been taken care of. But after a few days after my stay had ended, the error still had not been corrected. So, I contacted the hotel by phone and followed up with an email. It was less than 12 hours before I had been contacted by the general manager explaining her complete and sincere apologies and stated that it was not how she ran the hotel. I have stayed in many hotels in many cities, and the message I received was by the most honest representation of a manager who cares. The issue was resolved quickly, effectively, and they more than put me at ease. I would DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again….without a doubt after the conversation with the manager. This is property that will win awards in no time.

So while not every stay can offer perfection, this property hit a home run each and every day…even through an error.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Roselle, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Although I did not personally stay at the hotel, my mom & dad and sister & brothers came from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida and Michigan for my daughter's wedding and all stayed here.

Katie, the hotel manager helped me with the block of rooms for the family at a very nice rate; Andrea, the front desk supervisor answered questions and made everyone feel comfortable, welcome and at home.

My family made several comments about how nice the rooms were, how accommodating the staff was and how enjoyable the breakfasts were.
We all had a wonderful time visiting - the first time we have all been together in nearly 15 years.
Katie and her staff were instrumental in our lovely weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!