“Not what I expected”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Bloomington, Illinois, USA
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked a room through priceline for $50. We called the hotel the night before our trip at about 8pm as the instructions said to call and let them know your room preference. When we spoke with them we requested a king size non smoking room, they said they couldn't guarentee anything but they didn't see any issue with our request as there were plenty of rooms available.
We arrived to check in at around 02:05 pm and the front desk told us that we would have to wait another 15-20 min for our room. Five minutes later, she told us our room was ready.
We ended up in a handicapped accesible room. I went back to the front desk to ask if we waited if we could be moved to a different rooom. They told us no and that all the rooms were booked.
The bathroom took up half of the size of the room. It is interesting because on the page when we booked it said that you could relax in your bath tub. Not ours....I think that should be taken down as false advertising. I understand that they can't guarntee what room we get, so they shouldn't list amenities on their page that we didn't have.
The beds here are extremly small and uncomfortable.My husband had back pains for two days after. A friend of ours stayed in a two queen room and their beds were just as small. Her room had a couch type chair where our room only had an office chair. They are more like the size of a double.
The air conditioning is located within arms reach and kicks on and off every five minutes. Maybe because the size of room was smaller since half of the space was taken up by the bathroom. The air conditioning wasn't really loud when it was on, but that constant kicking on and off woke me up throught the night, and I am normally a heavy sleeper.
Wi fi was awful, and we were on the ground floor by the front desk. Could not connect.
The breakfast was not stocked. This is the second holiday inn express I have stayed at with a malfunctioning pancake machine. I was asking my husband where the spoons were and the person working the breakfast area heard me and made a loud sigh as it looked like the spoons needed restocking. Apparantly this was too much work for her as it was never refilled.
I also noticed when checking out, the front desk asked how their stay was. When I checked out, they didn't ask me, maybe because they already knew I wasn't happy with my room and didn't try to make it better, or maybe because they just didn't care.
Thankful I only had to stay one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily S
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. The only true way we can improve is by hearing the feedback of our guests. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your room type request. We try so hard to accommodate all requests, but when rooms are booked through some channels it is not always possible to meet those requests. The rooms you received was a wheelchair accessible room and the bathroom is intentionally made larger to accommodate a wheelchair. It works very well for those persons that do use a wheelchair, but can feel like a large loss of room space and I can understand your frustration.

I am very disappointed in my staff and how breakfast was handled. I will be sure to investigate this and have the appropriate discussions with the staff members. We pride ourselves on our extensive breakfast that offers such a large variety and I apologize that we were unable to impress you with our breakfast.

I thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. I wish you happy travels and would love to have you back at our hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Finland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Checkin was fast and friendly. Hotel had missed my reservation and claimed hotel was full. Did afterall get a room without too much discussion.

Room was fairly large as well as good condition.

WIFI worked well being both stable and fairly fast.

Breakfast was ok being same level as Hampton.

Service attitude of hotel personnel was good.

All in all a ok stay and I probably would go here again if in the area. Or a Hampton as hotel is average.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that everything was good with your stay, but I am sorry that we were unable to really make an impression on you. I thank you for taking the time to post about your stay and we would love the opportunity to give you a "WOW" experience in the future!
McFarland, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hotel appears older, but inside they are remodeling all rooms. It was clean, AC worked awesome!, beds were comfy. We got a super deal for a quick trip to Chicago. Nice neighborhood and easy on/off the Interstate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hello! Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us. We are in the process of making improvements and I appreciate your recognition of our hard work! Happy travels and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Thank You!
Portage, MIchigan, USA
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Got three standard rooms on Hot Wire for $49. I wouldn't want to pay much more than that to stay here. Worst mattresses I've slept on in a while. Comments echoed by other family who also stayed. Breakfast was fine. Great cinammon rolls. That was their signature item, rest was standard fare for hotels of that type.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pevk
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback! We always appreciate guest feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a poor night’s sleep on our mattresses, as we strive to make all aspects of your stay comfortable. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast, particularly the cinnamon rolls. They are a big hit among all of our guests!

Thank you for staying with us and we greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed two nights. There was previous occupants trash under the bed skirt, the AC was very loud and rattled when it turned on and ran. The exercise room was not stocked with towels and treadmills were needing service. The breakfast service was lacking variety in options and at 7 am, already ran out of milk. There was an industrial size air freshner hooked to the AC unit which made the room smell like a truckers restroom. Pillows and beds were sub-standard.
Certainly not what I have come to expect at a HIE. Although I want to get my points, my next visit to this area will be with a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank RobtKruger
Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is very important to me to always get guest feedback, whether it be good or bad. We pride ourselves on having clean rooms and I am very sad to hear that we have disappointed you in both room cleanliness and condition. I have addressed all of your concerns with the appropriate staff members and we are all working to ensure that these issues do not happen again.

I would love the opportunity to prove to you that we are much better than what you have experienced. If you contact me directly I would love to have you back to the hotel the next time you are in the area. Thank you again for your feedback and happy travels to you!

Regards,
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Terrible. It is like staying in a scam hotel where the employees & their friends watch you from holes in the wall or from the boiler room access area. Be prepared to be stolen from and violated. This hotel has no privacy when it comes to being alone in your room.

Room Tip: If you look like a loving couple or interesting beware to be spyed on by holes from ceiling/everywhe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Genesis805
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Genesis805,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Davenport, FL
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We needed a hotel that was relatively close to Midway airport near Chicago for our Sunday morning flight. We decided on the Holiday Inn Express in Downers Grove. It was about a 20 minute drive to the airport. The hotel is located in a good area, with shopping and restaurants very close. There is a Red Lobster right next door and several other restaurants just across the street. The rooms were nice, clean and quiet, even though the hotel is on a main road. I liked the fact that the rooms had balconies, not many hotels do anymore. The lobby is large, but welcoming. It is "separated" from the front desk with a low wall, which gives it a cozy feeling. There are two computers/printers for guest to use, as well as free wi-fi in the rooms. They offer free continental breakfast and the breakfast area is large enough to accommodate guest without feeling crowded. Add friendly staff to the mixture and you have a hotel that we would stay in again if we are ever in the Chicago area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback! I am super excited to hear that you had a good experience while staying with us. We do have a convenient location with TONS of great restaurants very nearby! We look forward to having you again in the future!

Happy Travels!
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!