“Sub-par for Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
“Sub-par for Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed two nights. There was previous occupants trash under the bed skirt, the AC was very loud and rattled when it turned on and ran. The exercise room was not stocked with towels and treadmills were needing service. The breakfast service was lacking variety in options and at 7 am, already ran out of milk. There was an industrial size air freshner hooked to the AC unit which made the room smell like a truckers restroom. Pillows and beds were sub-standard.
Certainly not what I have come to expect at a HIE. Although I want to get my points, my next visit to this area will be with a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank RobtKruger
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is very important to me to always get guest feedback, whether it be good or bad. We pride ourselves on having clean rooms and I am very sad to hear that we have disappointed you in both room cleanliness and condition. I have addressed all of your concerns with the appropriate staff members and we are all working to ensure that these issues do not happen again.

I would love the opportunity to prove to you that we are much better than what you have experienced. If you contact me directly I would love to have you back to the hotel the next time you are in the area. Thank you again for your feedback and happy travels to you!

Regards,
Katie Dinkens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Terrible. It is like staying in a scam hotel where the employees & their friends watch you from holes in the wall or from the boiler room access area. Be prepared to be stolen from and violated. This hotel has no privacy when it comes to being alone in your room.

Room Tip: If you look like a loving couple or interesting beware to be spyed on by holes from ceiling/everywhe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Genesis805
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Genesis805,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Davenport, FL
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We needed a hotel that was relatively close to Midway airport near Chicago for our Sunday morning flight. We decided on the Holiday Inn Express in Downers Grove. It was about a 20 minute drive to the airport. The hotel is located in a good area, with shopping and restaurants very close. There is a Red Lobster right next door and several other restaurants just across the street. The rooms were nice, clean and quiet, even though the hotel is on a main road. I liked the fact that the rooms had balconies, not many hotels do anymore. The lobby is large, but welcoming. It is "separated" from the front desk with a low wall, which gives it a cozy feeling. There are two computers/printers for guest to use, as well as free wi-fi in the rooms. They offer free continental breakfast and the breakfast area is large enough to accommodate guest without feeling crowded. Add friendly staff to the mixture and you have a hotel that we would stay in again if we are ever in the Chicago area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback! I am super excited to hear that you had a good experience while staying with us. We do have a convenient location with TONS of great restaurants very nearby! We look forward to having you again in the future!

Happy Travels!
Katie Dinkens
Pueblo West, Colorado
Reviewed July 11, 2012

For the Chicago suburbs...the price was right. The room was a little dated...glad we brought our own pillows. Stayed 3 nights and gave us an opportunity to explore the area I grew up in (Downers Grove and Chicago). The room was clean and the breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express. The desk clerk was absolutely clueless about anything and could not assist in booking reservations down the road. Not priority club service. The business center computers (two) were accessible...printer was poor quality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lanark, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We are often in the Chicago western suburbs for an overnight. This was our first stay at this Holiday Inn Express. The room was clean and comfortable, large with a king size bed, small sofa and desk. Decent breakfast included featuring make-your-own-pancakes which we had never seen. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Why is it that hotels seem to love to install overly complicated showers? It doesn't need to be that difficult. On/off, hot/cold -- how hard is that? After 10 minutes of fiddling, I noticed (after putting my glasses back on) that you needed to not only turn the dial, put pull it out to get any water pressure. Frustrating. Other than that, no complaints. Hot breakfast was laid out in a very appealing way. Booked for $49 via Priceline. Red Lobster (yuck) and Fuddruckers (double yuck) are on either side of the hotel. Beyond Fuddruckers is the Rockwood Tap and Grill which I visited and enjoyed. Do like me: stay away from chain restaurants when you travel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Great hotel to stay when coming to the area. I travel to this location about 4 times a year and I will not stay anywhere else. It is not only my only choice but it really is the "ONLY" choice. I look forward to my return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!