“Good value, but some issues.”

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Our stay in HIE Downers Grove started with some hiccups. We booked an rollaway bed, but, on arrival, I had been told that there're no rollaways available. However, after I made it known to the receptionist lady that it is, basically, her problem (we booked the bed, we paid for it and, if she is unable to provide a rollaway, she has an option of giving us an extra room for free), she said she was going to double-check, and a rollaway magically became available 3 minutes later.

That event basically set the tone for our stay in this HIE. OK place, good price, but you not without hiccups. On the positive side, this is decent place 30 minutes from downtown Chicago (I've checked). Breakfast features actual food, rooms are big and clean, A/C unit in the room is quiet. On the negative side, mattresses are too soft, lines are old (but clean) and breakfast items aren't replenished often enough. On our second day there, they ran out of bacon by 8:30 a.m. and out of scrambled eggs by 8:45, but breakfast is till 9 a.m. So, anyone coming to have a breakfast in last 15 minutes didn't have much choice of hot food (oats or bisquits with gravy). And they locked the door of food area in 8:59 sharp.

I would not mind to stay here again, but there's nothing to make me miss the place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CanRu

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Me and my family make a reservation in internet and we know the price already, its $89.00 and book 2 rms.we arrive there at i:30 pm the are not ready yet, which is ok because the check-in time is at 3:00 pm . we left and come back at 8:pm we are tired and they let my wife sign the paper works and my wife signed it. we ask the F.D. a baby crib and they want us to pay, but we argue that it should be free and finally they provide us free. when we are ready to check-out we foound out that they charge us $129.00 for each room so we complained and finally they agree to go down the price becau we show them the internet print out of our reservation. but still not right becuase it $99.00 each room they want. Now taht we just came back from vacation we complaint tour Credit Card Comp. not to pay the deffirence. I hope other guest to watch out what ever they sign b 4 check inn. especially these particular Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank junsosmena
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The family stayed in 2 adjoining rooms for one night. It was recommended by a frequent business traveler, and his recommendation was right on. This is a decent place with helpful staff. Good location right off of !-355 at Butterfield and near I-88. We worked with the front desk folks to get adjoining rooms and they were very attentive and helpful. Breakfast is included and has actual food! Pancakes, eggs and bacon were great. Plenty of restaurants nearby (try Portillo's across the street for hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches). My only gripe was our mattress. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. We found the same mattress issue in our second room, too. Overall, this is a good place for the money. I might look elsewhere if we were staying longer.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly and explain your needs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The room size was ok. not enough tv channel.light switchs dirty.food su-ked.Went to work one morning came back to take a shower,my shampoo was missing.Thank god i brought shampoo from another motel i stayed at. I will stay at another motel when i come back in May,June Auguest,September

Room Tip: I like hampton but thy changed hands in lombard.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank rcoldfeet
Reviewed March 3, 2011

The Rooms were clean, and the night staff and the morning staff made me feel like I was home!

Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife and teenage daughter stayed two nights this weekend. The room showed al ittle age however we enjoyed the cleanliness, comfortable bed, very quiet atmosphere and convenience to highways, restaurants and shopping. The room had an older TV (not a flat screen). The computer in the common area was very fst for internet and a typical Holiday Inn express breakfast with good coffee.
If you are looking for an inexpensive but convenient location I would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2010

The cleanliness of my room was average, probably even less than that. I would have two main complaints about my stay. One was the mattress, the best comparison I can make is to a bean bag chair. If you need a firm mattress, this wouldn't be for you. My other complaint would be that I saw the people at the front desk let some people just wander into the lounge area in the middle of the afternoon, apparently to use the hotel's internet access and have free coffee. That probably happens more than just here, but there also seemed to be too many people who were "hanging out" near the front door and in the parking lot. I didn't feel as safe as I would have liked knowing that there are obviously many more people around than just those paying for hotel rooms.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!