“Favorite hotel in Chicagoland western suburbs”

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed September 18, 2008

In 2007, we had to visit the Chicagoland area at least once a month due to a death in the family and each time we stayed at this hotel. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. The staff, the rooms, location...all perfect! It's close to everything you need. We're going to Chicago again this weekend and we've made reservations to stay here once again. Marriott should be proud of this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2008

We were there for the weekend taking in Chicago culture. The hotel was about thirty minutes from downtown on the express train and the shuttle delivered us to the station. The hotel itself was very pleasant with spacious and clean rooms, comfortable beds, a hot shower, and a yummy, affordable breakfast buffet. The gym and the indoor-outdoor pool and hot tub complete with big screen TV looked inviting. Too bad an evening movie was planned from 9-11 p.m. for children. That meant a relaxing evening in the pool for adults when children would ordinarily have been in bed was not an option. I still highly recommend this place, but I would call ahead and ask about scheduled late-night family events if you prefer quiet, romantic evenings.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed at this hotel form my mother's family reunion. I booked 13 rooms and each and every person had nothing but good thoughts about the hotel. Every room was clean and everything was maintained. There were no problems with check in and any problems noted were taken care of very quickly. We utilized the restaurant for our evening affair and the service was top notch. The waiters and service was great and the property manager was very personal. All the kids had a great time in the indoor/outdoor pool. I stayed in the Pierce Downer room on the 7th floor. The only downside of the room is that it doesn't have a let out couch. It's a nice size room but for a family it doesn't work. There were refrigerators and microwaves in every room, which was a plus for people with smail children. Not sure about other previous travelers and their experiences, the 13 rooms we utilized were perfect. There was additional people staying at the hotel the same time and none of our activities were ran together. Every wish was granted and all requests were served. I can't say enough for the staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We were looking for a hotel that was close to my husband's corporate office and this Marriott in Downers Grove was a great choice.

The lobby is nice, with a small welcoming area with cold water with orange slices and a plate of chocolate chip cookies. When we checked in, we mentioned that we'd need to look for the corporate office, and the clerk pleasantly googled a map for us. A plus!

But, she lost points when we asked if there was anything fun to do in the area that evening and she said, "No...but there's a lot of malls if you like to shop." Oddly enough, the hotel didn't have any tourist brochures or list of area attractions. We ended up watching a movie-on-demand in our room.

The suite was divided into two areas by pretty French doors: 1) a sofa bed with coffee table, desk, frig, TV and 2) the bedroom with king size bed, TV. Decorated in deep orange, rust and cream, the suite was very clean and looked almost new. The bed was incredibly soft & comfortable, with a fluffy mattress topper and goose-down pillows. The room was very quiet -- we never heard other guests or people in the hallways. We felt quite at-home and pampered.

Both TVs were very small. It was actually kind of hard to see them from across the room. And the air conditioner was very loud. We constantly had to adjust the TV volume each time it kicked on.

There is no mini-bar and the hotel gift shop didn't sell snacks, so be sure to take along your own late night munchies.

One thing did upset me:
We knew there was a charge for internet in the room, but I was told there was wireless access in the lounge. But after trotting all the way down and getting set up, I discovered that yes, there is wireless -- for a high fee. Come on, folks...coffeeshops, laundrymats and libraries offer free wireless. Why do hotels still insist on "selling" it? I felt mis-lead.

We did not eat at the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by literally hundreds of restaurants, so we went out instead.

I notice that some of the other reviewers stayed at this hotel for great prices. We obviously didn't get any deals. We booked thru the hotel and paid $169!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Despite the high gas prices and insanity of the long drive, I volunteered to drive my 16 year old son, his girlfriend and a guy friend to Minneapolis for a hip-hop festival Memorial Weekend. Coming from Nashville, Chicago was a great halfway point, but rooms in the city were terribly expensive. I booked a room on the way up and a room on the way back at The Marriott Suites in Downers Grove for $119 and $99 each night.

The Metra train into downtown Chicago is a two minute drive from the hotel and 25 minute ride, so my son drove the three teens to the train station and they jetted into the city for some deep dish pizza and wandering in the late afternoon/early evening. When they returned they had a blast swimming in the indoor pool (they even were able to hang out past the midnight closing time), then the two guys sat in the spacious comfortable lobby and chatted until the wee hours.

The girlfriend and I shared a double suite, while the guys had the option of a fold out sofa bed (an earlier review complained about a roll-out, but we were told they are against the fire laws), yet chose to rock-paper-scissors and put the loser on the floor.

The room had a nice size small fridge (we'd packed snacks), grocery and great wine store in close driving distance (the hotel is in a business park). Everything seemed clean, including the nice two-room workout facilities with every machine, weight and device you could hope for.

Room service was pretty lousy. In fact I had them remove a charge for a burned yet raw steak salad the first night. Tried a grilled chicken sandwich and fries the last night and wound up giving it to the kids.

It is highly unlikely I'll ever volunteer to road trip to Minnesota again, but if I do it is highly likely I'll return to the Marriott Suites.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank nashvillemom07
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel last weekend, and needless to say it has gone down hill! The room had wallpaper that was peeling around the ceiling, and a stained bedspread. only one remote for both tv's and the only channels were basic cable networks,cnn, fox, and hbo. There wasn't any music channels, food network etc. They closed the resturant on sunday only the bar and room service available, not what you would expect from a marriott. Front desk personnel professional in speech, conduct or in their ability to handle problems. Overall this hotel may be ok for a overnight stay, but not for more than that it just doesn't match typical marriott quality.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We booked a 1 bedroom suite for 3 days, flying into Chicago to help out with my cousin's wedding. We checked in 4:45 p.m. and left around 5 for downtown Chicago.

I advised the young man at the front desk that the pull out sofabed bedding was dirty (food stains) and that the bathroom door knob did not work. He was not apologetic and said that they'll look into it. We returned to our suite at 11 p.m. to find the bedding not replaced and a small mess of wood shavings on the bathroom floor.

I went to the same young man at the front desk to advise him the bedding had not been changed. Again, he was not apologetic and offered "I told housekeeping to look into it, I'm not sure why they didn't".

Since we were busy with the wedding, we didn't spend much time in the suite. On our last night, I noticed that under the sofa and behind it, housekeeping did not do a good cleaning job. I saw two coins, a small child's toy and a spilled small lotion bottle from the washroom. The area was quite dusty and looked like it was not vacuumed for a while.

The hotel lobby is quite nice. The restaurant is nice but the food is pricey (you would be better served driving 5 minutes to nearby Finley mall area where many restaurants are). The suite itself had a good sized bedroom and a comfy bed. Washroom was average sized. To fit 4 people in a 1 bedroom suite would be a very tight fit.

I completed a survey sent by e-mail from Marriott 2 days ago and have yet to receive any replies from the hotel. My suite was not in good condition, and the front staff gave an uncaring impression when presented with the issues in the suite.

I find it very difficult to understand and accept the fact that 3 problems occurred: a room that was not very clean, a room that had a functional problem (door knob that didn't work), and front staff that gave an uncaring attitude. Most people would normally brush off one but to experience three of these is just.....not right.

Under the circumstances, I cannot recommend this hotel. My family has travelled a bit this year for vacation and family events. We've stayed at hotels in San Diego, Anaheim, San Luis Obispo and Monterey. To date, this property is the worse hotel experience we've had.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!