“Unpleasant”

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I found my stay to be very unpleasant, I have done a lot of traveling in my day and have never had to pay any amount of money for wireless internet in my room they charge 13$ (usd) for every 24 hours. The spa was horrible it could use a facelift the paint was all flaked off in many areas it looked like you where sitting in a cement mixer more or less. The elevator had around 25 lights in it witch there where around 10 that did not work so poor lighting in them. The pool had some debre in it you could still swim in it but was there for 3 nights and it never was cleaned well there. The room it self did not have a decent layout I had a room with a balcony but to go outside onto it you need to move the fold out couch that blocks the door,also under the couch you have a outlet that 2 lamps where plug into I prayed these did not catch on fire well sleeping seeing there right under the couch.I know these review might sound a little like nit picking but if it was your money you might understand. The only good thing from this hotel is the pictures they took when it was first built to lure you in just rember when selecting a hotel a picture is worth a thousand words and one word that comes to my mind was deceived. I hope this was help full and happy hotel hunting to all and all a good night. ps. Also there was no breakfest included in your room rate and a omelette from room service was around 13$ so we went out to eat at Ihop and Dennys

Room Tip: Hopefully none at this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Vincent H, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We're sorry to hear of your concerns at our hotel. We will address the items that are within our control and apreciate your feedback. If you return to the area in the future, we would love the opportunity to host you again and potentially turn your experience into a better one.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, while playing in a hockey tournament in Darien. The hotel was very clean and quiet. The workers were very pleasant and helpful when we had questions. The outdoor pool was very nice and we spent a lot of time relaxing there. The hotel is very close to a lot of restaraunts as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank simhap

Thanks so much for your feedback and for bringing your hockey team to the hotel. We appreciate the business. We're glad you enjoyed the pool. Let us know if we can assist you in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was my second stay at this property. Rooms are comfortable with separate living and sleeping areas, The style is not too modern but also not outdated,

What makes a big difference is the staff at the hotel.The staff is very friendly and helpful. When I noticed that one of the tires of my rental car was low on air, the front desk called hotel maintenance to pump it up. That was exceptional customer service! Thanks again for going above and beyond.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying at our hotel. We appreciate your kinds words about our staff and we're glad that we were able to assist you with your tire. If you're in the area in the future, please stop by and see us.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The indoor/outdoor heated pool amazing!! The handicap access for wheelchair guest brought a tear to my eye. They check the pool/ fitness area frequently to make sure everything is in order.

We were greeted by and check-in w/ Lucy F.. She was absolutely wonderful and helpful. Called a few minutes later after we got to our room as promised. We highly recommend her as a superior staff member. She also checked us out a few days later. Our stay was wonderful n will stay here again when we come back to Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2013

We appreciate the love! Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you want are on a business trip and have to stay in DG have no fear and pick the Marriott suites. The hotel is well kept, clean and has a great staff. The location is ideal and access is real easy. Surrounded by a number if great restaurants and the convenience of a fitness chain right across from it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thanks so much for the recommendation! We appreciate the business. Yes, our partnership with XSport Fitness across the street certainly is a great treat for our guests. Thanks again for staying.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

What a great hotel this is! DH & I try to get away for a week-end monthly during the summer, somewhere close to home. We always want a hotel with an outside pool & living in the Chicago suburbs, those are hard to find. We usually stay at the Oak Brook Hills Marriott, as we love the pool area & the hotel in general. They were booked the week-end we wanted, so I Googled and found this Marriott in Downers Grove and what a find! Hotel is beautiful, very well kept, outside pool area is small but very nice! The service was exceptional, everyone was so helpful! The room was spectular for the price we paid! Two room suite, bed was heavenly, bathroom was large. All in all, we will definitely use this hotel from now on for our getaways!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for choosing our hotel for your weekend getaway. We pride ourselves on creating a personal experience, especially for our local area guests. Feel free to take a look at some of our weekend Oakbrook Shopping Mall or our Couples Getaway packages. Thank you again for staying.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel from August 8-12 2013. After five [5] key malfunctions over the course of two [2] days, both keys [2] finally worked properly. (Note: I've had hotel keys in my business card wallet that does contain a magnet flap. But these keys are extremely sensitive!)

2nd Issue: The weather in Chicago/Downers/Lombard for this time of year was extremely mild. Temperatures high range was 78/80 degrees. Coming from Texas, we were acclimated for 106/105/102 degrees. The hotel hallways were extremely cold. The room thermostat ALWAYS showed a temperature of 70 degrees regardless how we strived to bump it up. (We prefer a comfortable room temp of 76/78. However, even bumping it to 84 degrees -- AC unit would NOT kick OFF! We froze most of the night!)

When this issue was addressed to the front desk, they said they would send someone to check it. Needless to say, each and every subsequent night, the thermostat would NEVER kick off regardless if we raised it to 90 degrees?!?!?!! So -- we slept with the thermostat OFF! (I would suggest the installation of ceiling fans in the rooms might help in the future rather than running AC continuously!?!?!??)

The front desk attempted to explain to me (what I found very strange) that the system is geared toward the outside temps. The evening, late night, and morning temps were mid to high 60's. So I am still trying to figure out what the heck that had to do with setting a "normal" thermostat.

3rd Issue: We inquired if by chance the hotel has complimentary transportation to and from the Belmont train station just approx. 3-5 minutes away. To my surprise, "Blake" said they did. All we were required to do was to contact the front desk once we boarded the train at Chicago Union Station and advise them when it would arrive back at the Belmont station. At approx. 5:30 pm I called the hotel from Union Station and advised "Chris" that our train would arrive back at Belmont at appox. 6:00 p.m. He said he would have the courtesy van there around 6:15 pm.

6:15 pm, 6:25 pm, 6:35 pm., no courtesy van showed up. Placed a second call to the hotel and spoke with "Blake" would said he was enroute immediately. (Had to threaten a taxi ride back to the hotel and would submit the fare to front desk (Chris) if necessary. (Picked up by courtesy van at 6:50 pm) He apologized profusely about the issue.

3rd Issue: Found food coupon slide under my door for $20.00 as an apparent reimbursement for our troubles. However, the breakfast buffet is approx. $7.95 or $8.95 for my 12 year old, and $15.95ish for me. Needless to say, ONLY my daughter was fed on our last day at breakfast.

4th Issue: There is NO "free WIFI" in any of the rooms unless you are a VIP member of Marriott or pay an additional $12.00ish per day. Not very conducive for the business or vacation traveler wanting to check emails, etc., -- but it's free in the lobby. (Somehow my presence in the lobby in my pajamas at 1:00 am checking emails would not be met with the same humor)

5th Issue: Suggest memory foam or other type of padding to be used on the pull out hide away bedding. Even the 12 year old had issues with her back, and she normally can sleep anywhere.

Overall, this hotel apparently tries "hard," but falls way short. Prior to driving to the airport, we detoured to the Hyatt Place (behind the Webber Grill Restaurant) which will take all our future accommodations in the Lombard/Downers Grove area for the many years to come when visiting family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Lombard Oak Brook
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!