“Kind of disappointing”

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed June 23, 2013

After staying in an amazing Marriott Suites near O'Hare some time ago, I had high expectations for this hotel located in Downers Grove. This is a typical, business-oriented hotel. Because it is "all-suites", the rooms are very generously sized. The layout of the hotel itself, however, requires guests to wander the corridors turning this-way-and-that to find their rooms. No big deal, though; I've certainly been in far worse.

The fitness center was a bit strange, as it was divided by the center hallway that led to the pool. If you were using only the cardio equipment and treadmills, that was just fine. However, mixing in some strength training meant crossing the hall to the gym's other half. Weirdest, though, was that the restroom facilities for both the pool and fitness center were located inside the door of the fitness center itself (the cardio half). That meant a steady audience of children and families watching you exercise while they waited for the bathroom.

Getting to the hotel required a bit of exploration. Located in a little triangle of land between Butterfield Rd, I-355 and I-88, the signage helping guests to find the hotel is very poor. The hotel is physically located behind a multi-story parking structure, office buildings and large trees. The entrance is off a street called "Opus Place", which isn't well marked; and the street sign is partially hidden by bushes as you approach by car.

I would probably stay here again since the hotel is only a few miles from several of my clients. However, with the exception of the very helpful and courteous hotel staff, and a great breakfast buffet, it's not a great place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Vincent H, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly will take your comments about the layout of our fitness center into consideration. While most guests enjoy the separation of the two areas, we understand that it was an inconvenience for you and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We have a great partnership with XSport Fitness Center across the street from the hotel if this helps meet your fitness needs. We look forward to hosting you in the future! Thank you for your business.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here last month when I was in town for the MS Walk in downtown Chicago. Stayed here in the suburbs to be close to family. Only a 30 minute drive into the city. Great location close to shopping, malls, restaurants. Accessible to several different highways.

Parking was free and so was wifi. Room was clean but not very spacious (at the same time not smaller than I expected it to be). Definitely need a vehicle to get around as its located off the main road where all the restaurants and shopping are. Given that it located in a great spot to reduce noise for a peaceful nights sleep.

Can't say how the food was in the hotel was as we did not eat here. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
John L, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel. As well as for your review. Hope that we see you again!

enjoy

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The front desk staff was always cordial, respectful, friendly, and professional. However, I had a problem with management and/or housekeeping. I am a fan of Marriott and all my travels are with Marriott 90% of the time. I now know that all Marriott's are not treated equally, nor do they treat you equally. Yet, this is not a reflection on Marriott as a whole, just one location or affiliate.

Due to the nature of my profession, I am always very observant and detail oriented. I noticed my shoes were not where I left them and all of my other things were exactly where I put them except one. That was my bag was neatly moved more than likely to make the bed. When I reported my shoes missing, after scouring the entire room, I feel as if they took my claim as a joke. Then the back and forth phone calls made it even worse. I'll spare you of all the details.

Somehow they retrieved the shoes and told me I left them under the same bed I slept in and search under all morning. HMMMMMMMM!! I am sure they were removed from my room while I was away 12pm - 12am and I noticed it as I preparing to leave at 3am. I felt I was mocked and no one would take responsibility.

I received my shoes a few days ago via fed ex. Thank you! They originally wanted me to pay to ship my shoes, which I would not have had a problem with doing if I truly left my shoes. All I am saying is that I appreciate honesty. I'd give my shoes off my feet or in a new box to anyone in need. Even if they did cost over $125, just ask for them.

Overall, I was there for two nights. I liked the area because it was a good location between Dekalb and O’Hare. Honestly, I've had better stays at the Residence Inn in which this hotel reminded me of. The staff I interacted with was very nice and the hotel was secure. Had it not been for this mishap with the shoes that walked away, I probably would not even be writing.

Stay here! It could happen anywhere. In the in I got what I needed and my property was returned to me. I'd return if I had to.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are pretty good in this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DSW2
Vincent H, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication or delay in receiving your lost and found item. We are happy to hear that your item was found and returned to you. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was my 2nd visit to this hotel. It was not as good as last year as it showed the hotel is very dated.

However, staff were still very helpful and they gave me a lift to the closest shopping mall which was quite nice of them. They also drove me to my office which was around 8 minutes walk from the hotel.

I hope this hotel will have a refurbishment soon so that I will consider to come here agin.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ccesther
John L, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. We are just completing a re fresh of our lobby and public space. I hope this helps your feeling about our dated look.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nicely located for anyone visiting or doing business in the Western Suburbs. Check in was efficient, the room was very accommodating - there is a fridge, coffee maker, microwave. Seating area was very comfy with french doors to close it off from the bedroom. The hotel is quiet - some hotels in this area seem to be riddled with screaming children running up and down the hallways dripping wet from the pool - this property seems to attract more of a grown up crowd (although there is a very nice pool and jacuzzi!). Ample parking close by in a busy, safe area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your comments!

Enjoy

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed one night in Downers Grove on business trip.
The front desk staff was super friendly both on check in and departure.
The workout room was large - plenty of treadmills to walk on.
I ordered room service, which was pretty good. Nice that the room has a mini-refrigerator.
There was plenty of parking, which made for an easy in and out.

There were a couple of things that kept me from rating this hotel as a 5:
Traffic noise - maybe I was in a bad room, but I heard traffic noise in the evening and morning. It was so loud that I thought the window of the room had been left open.
Bed felt kind of lumpy...didn't keep me awake for long, but wasn't very comfortable.
Room layout was a little odd. There is a separate sitting room with a TV...but the TV is pretty far away from the sofa.

All and all, would probabaly return when visiting Downers Grove again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I was told that rooms are pre-assigned, so not having my Marriott reward numbe...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Marriot property is located in a business park not far from Yorktown Shopping Center and Oakbrook Center. It is conveniently located off I-88 and about a 20 mile drive to downtown Chicago.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was prepared for my special requests. The beds are heavenly and the bedroom is separated from the living room with French doors. The property is a little old, but well maintained. Parking is free.

I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review as well and staying at our hotel.

Enjoy!

#3 of 7 in Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Chicago Marriott Oak Brook

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!