“Still a gem in Downers Grove”

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Minnesota
“Still a gem in Downers Grove”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I used to stay here frequently but as my family grew it didn't always work out. I wanted to give the Marriott another try because I always used to like it here. And this stay did not disappoint.

I was checked in by a very pleasant man who worked hard to get me connecting rooms. He was successful and got me two very nice suites up on the sixth floor. Other staff members I came into contact with were very sweet and pleasant. Smiles were all around and everyone was happy to help with anything you need.

The rooms are small suites. Plenty big for 2. Cozy for 4. The beds are very soft and comfortable. I prefer more firmness in the mattress but that is just me. These beds were very nice and if you love it soft you'll really enjoy them. The main bedroom is a little cramped to move around but you can always spread out into the other room in the suite.

Some downsides are the pocket door into the bathroom. This is a rather old design and the pocket doors are very noisy when you open and close them. It's easy to wake others in the suite. Lighting in the bathoom is dim - especially near the tub/shower. The tub drain didn't hold water very well so it was tough to take a bath. The shower worked just fine.

The hotel restaurant was not to my liking. We went to a breakfast buffet there but much of the food was cold. Made to order omelets were better but I expected more for the high price they charge. Service was poor here with nobody at the entrance to seat you even though there was a digital sign asking people to wait to be seated. After waiting and looking around for somebody to get their attention we finally just seated ourselves. The one waiter I saw looked very harried. Perhaps they were short staffed that day or something but it left a bad impression. We didn't return to the restaurant after that.

There is a half indoors half outside pool that you can swim between the two sections. My kids loved that. The hot tub was very nice too. Everything was very clean, plenty of towels and chairs were available.

All in all it was a very nice stay. If they would improve the restaurant this would be worth 5 stars for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank avman67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for the Memorial Day weekend. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The front desk personnel were polite and accommodating, especially Bruce. I would recommend this hotel to anyone in the area who is looking for a quality experience.

• Stayed May 2012
Salem, MA
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We booked this room as a stopping point between Chicago and the Quad Cities. Check in was quick. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We got a room on the top floor. The room was large. I wasn't a fan of the two doors into the bathroom. Two doors into the bathroom is probably a good idea for one person using this room while here on business. But the two doors (one sliding pocket door) lacked the privacy that one might want while in the bathroom. The lighting in the room wasn't amazing, and we never did figure out how to use the climate control. The controls seemed pretty straight forward, but never did what we anticipated.

The bathroom was adequate. Maybe slightly dated, but for the price it was better than what we expected.

The location was great. Right off the highway and close to lots of shops and restaurants.

Would highly recommend this hotel for a good night sleep in a convenient location. Wouldn't necessarily agree that this hotel makes a good spot to stay for spending time in Chicago, but it was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Clean rooms - friendly staff and nicest most comfortable bed i have ever slept on in a hotel! This hotel was close to everything we needed. Was in town for a hockey tournament for my son. Tournament spanned three rinks in neighboring towns - this hotel was central to all, VERY PLEASED we stayed here. Cheaper than other trips we have made ($99 per night - GREAT room for the price). The indoor/outdoor poor was a big hit with my son and his teammates. Loved the layout of the room. Kingsize bed and pullout couch suited us just fine. Really a nice plus having a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. Our favorite Portillo's basically right across the street. Clost to shopping and movies if we wanted to do that, as well. Will definitely look for other Marriott Suites when staying in other cities.

Room Tip: Only reason i put average for breakfast was that we didnt eat at the hotel due to the times of the g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

A very brusque, obnoxious Hispanic male checked me in. Failed to acknowledge gold status. Took initiative to remove my Marriott rewards number so I would not earn points.

The room was fine. Was not interested in restaurant after check in experience.

Check out was fine. That clerk was polite. She put my rewards number back in.

• Stayed May 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The hotel is easy to find, it is large and fairly well cared for. We checked in about 2 yesterday afternoon and received a very nice welcome. Our room was on a high floor as always requested. Some of the furnishings in the room need replaced. The sofa is work with holes main the cushions. The chair in the living room is sort of worn too. But overall, the from is awesome. There are french doors to separate the living space from the sleeping space. There is an awesome indoor/outdoor pool. The staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Top floor, away from highway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I booked a suite for my business trip because I needed to attend a meeting in Downers Grove. Downers Grove was a very remoted area, and there was only a small train station nearby with very unfrequent timetable. It was really hard to see a person around this area, therefore, if you need a taxi, you must call in advance.

Speaking about the hotel, the suite I booked was very spacious and cozy. There was a separate living room with LCD TV, coffee table, sofa, desk, microwave and fridge. The bedroom is spacious with king sized bed + a smaller LCD TV + a small balcony. Bathroom is also big with a bath tub including shower facility.

There was only one restaurant which featured breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet in there was very nice, but did not have much choice for lunch and dinner a la carte menu.

One good thing of this hotel was the fitness centre, there was a heated swimming pool , a Whirlpool and a 24hrs gym room. Although all were quite small, it was better than nothing!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Lombard Oak Brook
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
#4 of 7 in Downers Grove

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!