“no so great this time”

Parkers' Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Parkers' Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 173 Restaurants in Downers Grove
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highland Avenue
Description: Parkers' Restaurant & Bar is a chef-driven, full service, contemporary American restaurant and bar serving lunch, dinner, and private functions. The restaurant features fresh fish and seafood along with high quality meat and pasta preparations. The restaurant is housed in a transformed New England-style building on Highland Avenue at 31st, just north of I88 in Downers Grove, a western suburb of Chicago. The ambiance is casual-upscale with a mosaic tiled, open kitchen adjacent to a 150 seat dining room featuring a polished hardwood decor. The cozy, 50 seat bar and cocktail lounge area features a dramatic, wood vaulted ceiling and live piano entertainment, in the evening.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went to eat here again and this time no so happy. The service was outstanding as usual. The Salmon was good and also the lamb chops....BUT the roast chicken and veggies had no flavor of any kind.....since we were celebrating I didn't want to say anything and ruin the mood of our evening but I was really not happy with my dinner at all.....not sure we would go back if they are changing too many menu items...we also ordered the bruschetta and it was "okay"...not as good as it was when we ordered it in the past here....I would not order that again.....we also ordered the fritters and they were good. We are wondering if they have changed chefs or management....something has changed with the food.....the piano playing was a nice touch and we enjoyed that very much.

4  Thank Kylie K
ParkersRestaurant, Manager at Parkers' Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hi Kylie,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your last visit with us was not up to your expectations - although, we are pleased to hear that you hold us to a higher standard. It's wonderful to hear that you were pleased with the salmon, lamb and fritters.

I have alerted the Chef regarding the chicken, vegetables and bruschetta. I was disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your dinner and we did not have an opportunity to make sure you were satisfied with the entire experience prior to your departure. We are looking at the preparation of these dishes as the recipes have not changed - so we are looking at the training of our staff to ensure the products are coming out the way they are meant to.

It is alarming to hear that your recent experience with us was so vastly different from your prior visits, as our Chef and management team have been together for many years. We hope you change your mind and come back to visit us soon. I would like to ensure your next visit with us is reminiscent of your prior experiences, so please feel free to contact me directly.

-Heather Johnson, General Manager Parkers' Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We have driven past this restaurant many times and decided to finally stop. So glad! The food was great...followed by great service! We had the crab sandwich special for lunch - spicey and good. The tuna cheddar melt was perfect....and I am picked about these! Really good. The tuna tacquitos were good but tasted more like chicken than fish. Overall, we will stop again. We enjoyed the crisp c,ean restaurant look...food was great...and it is very convenient for us!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

First let me say our server, Patrick, was an absolute delight. Helpful, knowledgeable and really good fun.

The food was divine. King crab was about $10 less than city prices, all the seafood was great. I had the pork chop which was delicious and HUGE! My wife had the scallops which I think were inhaled rather than eaten.

There were eight of us and we sampled a bunch of different menu items and it was clear plates all around. Don't get me started about the deserts. The key lime and bread pudding are worth the sugar coma.

One thing that impressed us was that Patrick offered to have the bar tender make a special cocktail. Two of the ladies got a 'Tim special'. Last night, in a different restaurant, both ladies wondered if Tim would come make a cocktail again.

Good food, fantastic service.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Coulda gone anywhere but the environment is relaxed luxury, bar food happy hour a deal, and food taste presentation and texture a joy. Really solid and off the beaten path.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The food is good as are the drinks and service. Nice place for a date night. Near shopping and hotels.