“Great sushi, good prices”
Review of Kyoto Sushi

Kyoto Sushi
Ranked #24 of 169 Restaurants in Downers Grove
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, IL
“Great sushi, good prices”
Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

We sat at the sushi bar and enjoyed our very fresh, delicious sushi. It wasn't crowded, but it was lunchtime. While I don't love the strip mall effect, we had a good experience and will be back.

Everywhere
“Humble place and good food”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I went to this place with my wife, and from all places we've been this was where we found the best food. It was also one of the most expensives. For us both with beverages it cost almost 100 bucks.
My wife loved it. I think it was too expensive and I could find cheaper places.

• Visited September 2011
Pittstown, New Jersey
“Ok, Good Service”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

First time visit. Service is very good and attentive. Constantly asked if we needed anything. A minor irritation: we started eating with chop sticks, then the server came by and gave each of use beginner chop sticks - this annoyed me because all of us have been using chop sticks for years. Additionally, the server came by and asked me if I knew the different types of fish on my sashimi platter. I rattled off the names quickly.

Wide menu selection including Chinese dishes. Several specials, but I didn’t think the item I had was special. I am a big Japanese food eater in locations all over the world including Japan. I thought the sashimi I had was a bit watery (which implies that the fish was frozen).

Overall good, but there are better Japanese restaurant places in the area.

• Visited December 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent food. The decor is kind of sparse and not too intimate, except for the private rooms where you can remove...”
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Excellent food. The decor is kind of sparse and not too intimate, except for the private rooms where you can remove your shoes and sit on the floor to get the full traditional Japanese experience.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago
“Best Sushi in Chicagoland and the cheapest prices!”
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We have been going to Kyoto Sushi in Lombard for a few years now. When we travel, we always check out other city's sushi restaurants, but there are very few that we have come across anywhere that measure up to Kyoto. Sure, there are other sushi places with a more "trendy" or "moody" atmosphere, or fancier surroundings, but for the absolute most consistently great sushi, you cannot beat this place.

It is a family owned restaurant, and sometimes at peak times, the sushi chefs will get behind, but have a glass of wine or saki and kick back. It will be worth the wait.

All of the sushi, maki and sashimi is top grade and you will never, ever get gummy rice at Kyoto, which in my opinion separates the really good sushi places from the mediocre ones.

And the best part is, most rolls are $4.50 to $6.50! The caterpillar roll, which has everything in it and is about ten to 12 pieces, is the most expensive at about $12.

I have friends who ate here once and now simply cannot eat sushi anywhere else. Some rolls you have to try are the Tempura Scallop (I always get a hand roll) and the cruchy spicy tuna roll. They also have 2 original creations that are not rolls but you must try. They are called the Stuffed Tomato and the Dynamite. They are one-bite pieces but have such a great taste I always order at least a few and save one til the very end so I have that flavor with me for a long while after the meal.

Kyoto's owners are the nicest people, but don't expect a lot of conversation as the father (owner) speaks no english. His wife does and she seems to run the show behind the sushi bar. For the prices this place charges, I cannot believe there's not a line out the door every night.

Highly recommended!

Located on Butterfield Rd. near Finley, just east of the Best Buy.

3 Thank designillinois