“Visit this unique restaurant on a nice warm day”
Review of Lemon Tree Grocer - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lemon Tree Grocer
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I titled my review "visit this unique restaurant on a nice warm day" because the establishment is small on the inside. They have a lovely patio area out front that would be a much better place to enjoy their menu than inside. My best friend and I went to this restaurant on a cold snowy March Sunday afternoon. The seating area is small and got quite loud the more people that came in to dine. The menu is unique and we both enjoyed what we had (I had the potato leek soup w/ a high-end grilled cheese sandwich and my friend had the lobster roll). The food was fresh, well done, and tasty. Service was a little slow but we were in no hurry. The grocery area does resemble a teeny "whole foods" grocery store but it was nice to see what 'hard-to-find' things they have on stock (foodies would appreciate it). I would definitely go back on a warmer day to enjoy the menu outside and the unique grocery store/wine selection makes this place worth stopping by.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Before our food arrived at the table at Zest Bistro, I did a little shopping at Lemon Tree. I purchased an Amish turkey and organic pork chops for my husband. I also purchased some black Arkansas apples and red delicious organic apples. While the apples were very good (I have yet to cook the turkey and just finished cooking the pork chops for my husband's lunch tomorrow), the grocery store is very small and has a very limited selection of food. It is on par with Whole Foods, but 10 times smaller. We will still visit again, as we will visit Zest Bistro, which is inside of the grocery story. Sonja L. Marshall

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Lemon Tree has gourmet items, a small restaurant and a delightful wine and beer selection. The staff is very welcoming and you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I go here for the bento box lunch all the time. They are very friendly and the place is always spotless.
I was very happy to see them open as a half resterant / grocer. The food is wonderful, but we go here to eat.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

From the outside looking in, you probably wouldn't expect much of Lemon Tree Grocer. And truth be told, this is not the place to go for your weekly grocery shopping. You won't find a pharmacy section, or a health food aisle, dietary supplements or a vast array of jarred Ragu and Prego.
What you WILL find however, is a friendly and knowledgeable staff, ready to help you navigate Downers Grove's best selection per square foot of craft beers, premium wines, artisanal cheeses, whole bean coffees roasted just days earlier from Intelligentsia, Stumptown and more, as well as other premium gourmet food items you would be hard-pressed to find en-masse anywhere else.
The best part is that you can purchase your items and enjoy them right there, at either an indoor or outdoor table.
There's also a small coffee shop/bar offering draught beers, coffee and espresso drinks (both hot and cold), pastries and more.
The selection of premium items is fantastic, but what really makes an experience at Lemon Tree great is the colorful, knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Don't be afraid to take a chance on anything unfamiliar. In fact, go out of your way to find something you've never had before. Odds are you'll be happy you did!
And make this a regular stop. These are great people doing what they do extremely well.