“Good deal for the money”
Review of Scarletti's Italian Kitchen - CLOSED

Scarletti's Italian Kitchen
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The first time I dined at Scarletti's (summer 2012) the owner came to our table and brought samples of their various sauces along with some crusty bread. Everything resembles "grandma's Italian cooking" at a reasonable price. The decor is classy and the location is ideal (downtown Downers Grove). I have dined at this restaurant three different times and my favorite dish is their lasagna. The last time I was there I tried a lemon gelato dessert that was heavenly. The wait staff have always been knowledgeable and friendly, but I prefer dining there on a Sunday afternoon when the owners are present. It is nice chatting with them and learning more about how the restaurant came to be. You can tell there is a lot of care and pride taken in how the restaurant runs.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went in on a Friday night after a movie at the Tivoli. It was about 9:30, and they close are 10 p.m. so I felt rushed a bit. Probably not them, more me.
(isn't this a bit early for a restaurant on a weekend?)
There were only 2 other tables of people there....it was a bit too quiet for a Friday night.
Since my hubby and I were both dieting, we each ordered a salad and split the entree.
I also got the feeling that they expect you to order wine with your meal, as the wine glasses are already there on the table when you sit down. When you don't order, the glasses are swept away.
We were served bread as we waited. I thought it odd that there was no parmesan for the oil and bread. But I guess this was good, for our diets, as it discouraged us from wanting more bread.
Our Caesar salads were good. The entree was the pesto stuffed chicken and fettucine with pesto special.
I was impressed that they plated it for us so we didn't have to make a mess at the table by splitting it ourselves...and NO fee to split it, as some restaurants do! The dishes were cute- a long rectangular dish, had never seen that.
Portions seemed small, but since we were dieting- I figured it was just as well. (Probably wouldn't have seemed small if we'd have seen it unsplit.)
Our entree was a bit heavy on the pesto. But other than that, I cannot complain.
Though I wasn't blown away by anything about the place, I will go back and give it another try.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stopped in without reservations w/ kids for an early weekend dinner. Seated immediately as weekend crowd hadn't kicked in yet. Wait person was helpful, attentive & patient with kids. Room had an open, elegantly casual type of vibe. Started w/minestrone soup (a welcome start on a cold March night) & house salad which was presented with light house dressing. Thumbs up on the soup as it had enough of a kick & plenty of vegetables in a great tasting broth. All entrees were served hot & hit the spot. Loved the sauce on all the pasta dishes as it struck the right balance of adding great flavor without drowning the pasta. Place was starting to fill up as we left as the restaurant is perfect location for pre-movie meal. Although the portions weren't huge, we each brought home a doggy bag. Will definitely be back to try other entrees.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Took our family last evening to this wonderful restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised with the food specials available this evening. Our party ordered both of the specials - the Scallop Risotto & the Steak Rollotini. Both dishes are outstanding!

Please leave room for dessert - our party had the Lemoncello (my wife's favorite) & the Cannoli Chip & Dip. Very tasty!

Everyone in our party had a great time & were provided with excellent service from their staff.

We will be back!

You've got to try this place - the best & most creative Italian food in this area.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went to this restaurant 3 times. The first time was because of its close location near the train station, the next two times because of their delicious food and good service. Their vegetarian pizza is very good and their stuffed mushroom is AMAZING, other things we tried (pasta) were also good. I would definitely eat there again if I went to the area in the future.