“Great staff…rooms a little worn out...”
Review of Comfort Inn O'Hare

Comfort Inn O'Hare
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Des Plaines
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Like a lot of others we were stranded overnight in Chicago due to the weather. US Airways kindly gave us a voucher to get a room at Comfort Inn at a reduced rate so we used it. Room was a good size but fairly dark inside. Beds were comfortable enough but the rooms have seen better years. The heater was very noisy - but we were too exhausted to care much - and it was working hard in those arctic temperatures. Staff at the desk were helpful and friendly.
One thing I did notice is their airport shuttle bus was too small. It was filled going both ways and left people waiting for the next trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Fran P, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

I would like to address the issues you had, while you were our guest..." the noisy heater and the small shuttle bus". The noisy heater has been repaired. The small shuttle bus, we can't repair, we can only add to our schedule, which of course we will do in the future.
We accommodate many guests each evening and we do our best to make everyone's stay a pleasant one. Our goal is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable rates.
The perspective of our guests are very important to us, and is a key component in helping us to improve.
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I lived in this area for more than 20 years when this hotel was built. It used to be a very nice hotel and since moving from the area I have enjoyed staying here when I work in Chicago. I have stayed here dozens of times and have noticed a steady decline. The tv system is weak and snowy in different parts of the hotel. It's old analog system and suffers from poor maintenance. The pictures will remind you of the old days with a crappy cable tv system. Nice flat screen tv in the room that shows crappy channels. The in-room channel guide is not correct.
The ceiling leaks terribly dripping water in the hallways and now THEY WANT TO CHARGE $5 for parking in their lot (how else do you get there, if not by car?). The restaurant (Tiffany's) sits across the lot from this place and has signs posted in the lot that the lot directly in front of the hotel is for restaurant parking only. I have always parked in the restaurant's lot because I occasionally eat in the restaurant. Sometimes I check in after the restaurant has closed (10 pm) and check out before it opens ( 9 am). The restaurant is never packed and I have never had a problem with parking in the restaurant's lot. It is WAY more convenient than the hotel's lot, which is a much farther distance. I asked the nice girls at the front desk why there was a $5 parking fee and she politely credited me the $5, because of my frequent stays.
The $5 is a complete rip off!! It is for NOTHING!! If I am ever charged the $5 to park in the restaurant's lot again, I will find another place to stay. Schiller Park is just down River Road a few miles. There are plenty of hotels there. A short drive down Manheim will take you past another dozen hotels. The Holiday Inn express a few blocks away does NOT charge for parking.
I have overlooked the crappy tv reception and leaky roof because the rooms are relatively clean and the front desk staff is service oriented, but I know when I'm being ripped off and this parking charge is just that.....a RIP OFF!!

Room Tip: Park in the restaurant lot and don't let them try and charge you a fee for parking your car in a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your dissatisfaction with our maintenance and our recent parking fee. We know you were upset about the parking fee and did waive it for your stay. To address the maintenance....we are constantly doing our best to update and repair any issues we may have...it is true we had ceiling leaks when we had flood conditions because of the nearby river, we have since had those repaired. To address the issue of the TV with a snowy reception, we are working with our service provider on that issue, and as for the channel selection, we have updated our inroom channel listings.
To address the issue of parking fee, that is just as simple as economics. Our rates are competitive and actually lower than surrounding hotels for rooms and for parking.
As to the restaurant parking issue, we actually own the restaurant and the parking lot in front of the hotel. Our guests have always been welcome to use that lot. The parking fee will not be waived if a guest chooses to park in the lot that has the signs "Tiffany's Restaurant" posted.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here on Jan. 1 due to the bad weather courtesy of American Airlines. Staff was friendly enough at check in and they were very busy. Rooms were tidy, but carpet was a bit dirty. Water pressure was terrible during the shower; the lever was partially blocked so that half the water was wasted straight down the drain. Walked around the room barefoot after and noticed that feet were dirty again. Better job of cleaning definitely could be done. Called the front and asked them to bring up a toothbrush & shaving kit, to which they responded "sorry we do not provide that service". But, you can pick it up at the front desk, so that's understandable. It's not a hotel after all.

The upsetting part is that I accidentally left my phone charger in the room, and had called back immediately after realizing this (only an hour after leaving) and asked them to check the room for it. The staff said they were too busy and would ask the cleaners to check. Fine, this was understandable too, but physically checking it would've taken maybe 2 minutes. After not hearing back from them in the afternoon I called again and asked another staff to check. She checked a lost & found box this time and said no dice, and repeated that if it turns up they'll contact me. 3 days later, no attempt at contact whatsoever.

2 out of 5 stars because the staff were professional and friendly enough, but don't expect them to put in any more effort than the minimal. The bed was still comfortable and breakfast edible.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Fran P, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel and staff for failing to meet your expectations on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with our General Manager and appropriate action has been taken.
We sincerely appreciate your comments as they do help us improve. We geneuinely hope that you would give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations any time in the future you may be in our area.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I got stranded in Chicago at O'Hare (thanks, United Airlines!) on New Year's Eve- so instead of partying with my friends at home in Los Angeles, I was stuck in a city where I don't know a single person to ring in 2014.

The good news is the staff at the Comfort Inn made things very easy for me. I called them to send a shuttle to the airport, and it was already there waiting. We left right away. The staff was friendly and helpful with food suggestions. They made sure to find out when I needed to leave the next day so I could get the shuttle back to the airport.

Clean room, comfortable bed, free wi-fi, stocked vending machines- again it all helped make the best of a bad situation. Sadly, I had to leave early before breakfast was served in the morning, so I can't comment on that.

One thing I might suggest is for the hotel to get HD programming to match their HD television sets. All available stations were analog.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Tripadvisor regarding your New Years Eve stay at our hotel. Good service depends on people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest takes the time to comment on enjoyable stay. Thank You!
It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest and we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service any time you might be in our area.
PS - We know that staying with us on New Years eve was not nearly as much fun as being with your friends in LA on New Years Eve. However, we are pleased to know that at least you were comfortable with us.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here to catch an early morning flight out of OHare. The shuttle was efficient without much waiting. The room was comfortable. The free breakfast was not till 6am, but earlier than that they had cold cereal, coffee and rolls available. The price was right!

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite the interstate!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Snowbirds2

On behalf of our hotel and staff I'd like to let you know how delighted we were to read your kind words here on Tripadvisor. What a nice gesture for you to take the time to say you were pleased.
We very much enjoyed having you as our guest and we would love to be your hotel of choice any time you happen to be in our area.

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is basic, but clean and has had recent renovations. Good free breakfast. Always great front desk staff. Quick reliable transport. We've stayed here often the past few years. Today we returned to Chi-town with temps in the teens and 6" of snow on the car. The shuttle driver swept off our car for us while I waited in the warm van. Then he loaded our luggage in our trunk. Where else could you find that type of service?

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We very much enjoyed having you as our guest and do hope you keep us in mind any time you happen to be in our area!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was here for a couple of days in November, and I should say that's the best Comfort Inn I've ever stayed at. Room was nice and clean, very quiet despite proximity to the airport. Staff is very friendly, they did great in helping me get directions to the nearby mall.
The restaurant onsite, Tiffany's is quite convenient to grab a bite for dinner - food is good too, and the hotel was serving free hot breakfast in the morning.
Will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan Z
Fran P, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell Tripadvisor online that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We do take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest and we would welcome the opportunity to have you as our guest again, any time you might be in our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Plaines
10 mi away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Schaumburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Chicago Schaumburg
Extended Stay America - Chicago O’Hare - Allstate Arena

Been to Comfort Inn O'Hare? Share your experiences!