“Absolutely Fantastic!”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Des Plaines
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

It's rare that you can stay at a hotel and not have one complaint. That was the case here! Just stayed 3 days at HGICO for the cardinals cubs series and it was great! The entire staff is A1! Shuttle service,rooms,bar,food. All was great! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012
Alex B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear mandell74,

We hope you had a great time at the Cardinals vs. Cubs series. Thank you for sharing your comments with us on TripAdisor. Our shuttle bus provides excellent service to and from Chicago's CTA Blue Line, which offers a variety of ways to travel to Wrigley Field without the hassle of parking in the city.

Best Regards,

Hilton Garden Inn O’Hare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice, once in mid 2011 and again in mid 2012. Both times I bought it on Hotwire for a ridiculous under $80 price. Hotwire shows it as a 3-star, which seems wrong to me, since so much is so right about this place. I took a chance partly because of the (then) 100% satisfaction rating on Hotwire, something I had only seen twice before.

But maybe that's the way it is with these newer, keenly focused, research-driven inns which, like competitor Hyatt Place (or Marriott Courtyard, once upon a time), give you everything you need and none of what you don't need. By and large, Hilton Garden Inns successfully straddle the span between the needs of traveling families and jaded business travelers. And this one is the jewel in the crown.

First off, free parking reduces the effective price of the room, compared to a downtown Chicago hotel, by $45-$50 a night. That's not chump change. And hotel prices are always cheaper by O'Hare than downtown. Not the case near Midway, BTW.

True, when you stay in the burbs, you don't have walking-distance or short cab proximity to Chicago's downtown attractions. But its location also makes northerly areas, like Evanston and Northwestern, or Highland Park and the Sheridan Drive lakefronts, or Rogers Park, much more accessible. And being pretty much right on I-294, this property has clean access to the Western and Southwestern burbs, like Oak Park, Downer's Grove and even Naperville. In fact, I chose this location because my business required that I hit both Evanston and Naperville on consecutive days, so this place was a good midway point. And this place is like 1/2 mile from a fun (if you like that sort of thing), busy casino. But I digress.

The desk staff is particularly helpful and pleasant (one guy actually remembered me from my first visit). The lobby sundry shop is a little sparse, but not overpriced and better equipped than properties that only have vending machines. The restaurant doesn't offer a deep menu, but is still handy and more than suitable. The property is new (or new-ish), very clean, super tight and reassuringly together. Common areas area spacious and inviting, if not particularly lavish. I did not use the pool or spa (never do) so I did not rate them.

For me, though, a hotel is all about its beds and baths, full stop. Rooms are spacious, the beds comfy as can be and the bathrooms modern and clean. I stayed in a ground floor room both times (my personal preference) and four the experience quiet and restful. Flat-screen TVs increase both the quality of viewing and the sense of spaciousness. The desk has sufficient power outlets for a business traveler or a family with multiple computers and phones.

Hard to imagine a downside, except maybe that their rack rates are not exactly cheap, though this is a growing trend with other props that used top be considered bargain (Hampton Inn and Courtyard come to mind). It's hard to find anything nice under $100 these, which is why I use Hotwire so much. Still, even at rack rate, the features are strong enough to be considered good value, IMHO.

When I booked the second visit, when I saw an "O'Hare North" 3-star property with 100% satisfaction rating, I was pretty sure it was this property, and I was (thankfully) right. Prices are roughly the same in the McCormick Place are, just south of the Loop, but I like this area better, and it allows for painless access to O'Hare.

The "3" rating for location is simply because it's not downtown or in the Lincoln Park area. If your needs allow for some distance from downtown, the location might just be ideal for you.

Room Tip: If you're hungry late, hit the casino 1/2 mile down the street, which is jumping at all hours.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Alex B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear jodada,

Thank you for continuing to choose our hotel when you visit Chicagoland. Our property is perfect for the traveler wanting convenient access to the city and surrounding suburbs. We're glad you found our property to be the perfect choice as you travel for business. Thank you for staying with us.

Best Regards,

tustin
Reviewed July 30, 2012

What a surprise to find such a well run and well appointed hotel at theO'Hare airport area. We were put up there by an airline because of a missed departure so were not expecting much. We were greeted warmly by the shuttle driver, offered a bottle of water and told to sit back and relax. Great after 13 hrs of flying! The front desk staff and in fact every employee we encountered greeted us with a friendly hello. The room was tastefully appointed, quiet, with a mini food prep area for coffee, microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens. To top it off we had a wonderful breakfast with made to order items as well as a buffet of fresh fruits and pastry. We will look for another Hilton Garden Inn when we travel to other locales. This is a well run organization.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sheila h,

We're glad you had a chance to catch up on some rest and relaxation after a long day of traveling. Our team is very pleased to have exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff and property. Have a wonderful week.

KC
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stay at "Hilton" hotels often and really enjoy the Hilton Garden's because the are a "mini" full service hotel. Bar and Grill on site. This is without the "full service" price, although not inexpensive either. This location meets expectations on service, cleaniness, and the bar and grill area, which they just have upgraded. They are also close to some of the famous Chicago pizza places.I will return as I frequent the Chicago area on business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dpingle,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand of hotels. When you return to the area, be sure and ask our front desk team for additional restaurant recommendations featuring some of Chicago's finest pizza. Thank you for staying with us. Have a great week!

Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nice, had a very good time. Loved the shuttle, only minutes away from downtown. The breakfast staff was just awesome, we will be back.

Room Tip: This hotel should set the bar for all
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear dgray8152,

Welcome to our TripAdvisor page! Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I'm glad you were able to use our shuttle. Our drivers provide efficient service to and from the airport as well as to Chicago's CTA blue line and some local restaurants. We hope you had a chance to explore our wonderful city. Have a great week.

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago-O’Hare
Phoenix
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Look no further than this fine hotel. The only thing more wonderful than their recent renovation is their incredible level of customer service and highly trained employees.

Brief Review

Late Check in at 1:00AM everything was ready for me when I arrived by TWO front desk staff. They even asked how my flight was.

Room was great and clean.

Breakfast was perfect and the service was great. Very friendly.

Front desk staff was incredible and very helpful.

Every employee and I mean every employee you come in contact with greets you and asks how things are going and if you need anything. HOW REFRESHING!

I requested a late checkout of 6pm which was literally 17 hours after I had arrived and was granted a very fair pro-rated amount as I had a late flight out at 8pm of O'Hare. Dan Garcia was very helpful during the afternoon shift once I had returned from my morning of business. I had returned around 2pm and found my key not to be working. I made my way back to the front desk and explained the situation. Dan explained to me what had happened and apologized for someone else’s mistake but still didn’t try to pass the buck and did not speak negative about the other persons mistake. He even offered me a free cocktail in the lounge but I passed. I just thought the whole encounter was great. When I walked down to the front desk, I was not happy and when I came back to my room I felt wonderful having been the recipient of such wonderful customer service.

If you are looking for a place to stay around O'Hare with 5 Diamond/Star Service, look no further and say hey to Dan for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the casino next door for all you gamblers.

I will say this once again, if you have a complaint about this property, you are either ignorant or a miserable person or maybe even both Thank you Hilton Garden Inn Des Plaines for a wonderful stay. I will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David R
Daniel_L_Garcia, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear dxrobe2,

It was a pleasure meeting you and being able to provide you with an exemplary experience. Thank you for sharing your kind words with us on tripadvisor and mentioning me by name.

We always strive to provide the ultimate service and your review is a fantastic example of the kind of experience our team provides to our guests. I look forward to seeing you again in our hotel and having you as our guest.

Thank you again for staying with us!

Dan Garcia
Hilton Garden Inn O'Hare
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went on business, very nice property and friendly staff. g
Good restaurant, pool, fitness center. Good location, would return when in area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Alex B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear jeffrey s,

Thank you for staying with us. We're glad you chose us for your buisness trip. Have a wonderful week.

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago-O’Hare
Hyatt Regency O'Hare
Hyatt Regency O'Hare
#8 of 18 in Rosemont
Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!