“Delicious Food”

Gigio's Pizzeria & Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 186 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have had the Italian Beef (which they roast and slice on premisis!), the Italian Sausage and the pizza. Everything served here is way above par and it has a quiet location with decent parking. A great place for delicious, casual ding or take it home.

1  Thank R S
There are newer reviews for Gigio's Pizzeria & Restaurant

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The owners here have run this pizzeria for many years. I was lucky to finally find the place in my child home town of Niles but not til 2001. They moved to Des Plaines in roughly 2006. I'm surprised it took me so long because members of my family went to school with the owners' kids/grandkids and I know them as acquaintances at best. I'm sure there are other pizza places as good as this somewhere in the Chicagoland area, but you would spend a very long time and a small fortune of money trying to locate them. The pizza here is extremely handmade and homemade. What makes this place different is that every bite of this pizza is packed with an astounding amount of freshness and flavor. When I grade pizzas, I now get them with the same ingredients...spinach, sausage and garlic. If it's good, I'll visit again and add more meat, more veggies. With family visiting from Anaheim, California, I had a pan pizza and some other items delivered. They mentioned they didn't really want pizza, just the Italian beef sandwiches. I told them just try the pizza. After one bite, their look was like "Wow. Hmm..wow. It's as if I've never tasted pizza before." I figured it was the chunks of garlic. They just don't skimp on pizza toppings here. Too many places will say garlic, but use garlic powder. They'll say sausage and it's all Chef Boyardee-like. They'll say spinach and there will be a few dry uncooked leaves that just fall off the slice. Simply put, not here. I recommend anyone trying Chicago pizza for the first time to add at least spinach and sausage. Here you should try the pan pizza with that and your other favorite toppings. If pan isn't your style, the thin crust still has the same punch of flavor.
As far as how they do business, they are cash only and they don't serve alcohol on location. They deliver to a rather large region, as I have them deliver a couple miles away in Park Ridge. I don't know what it is, or how they do it exactly, but after 30 years of pizza eating all over the US and Italy, nearly 50 pizzas alone just from this place, Giggio's aka Mama Nitti's...this is my favorite.

1  Thank illiniruss
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This pizza is the best I've had in the US. Honest. As good if not better than the home made pizza made by my Italian immigrant grandmother. In Italy you can pick up a pizza at any corner place and it's good. In the US, not so. Gigio's must be run by real Italians or maybe they have their grandma's recipe... somehow they know the importance of fresh, good quality ingredients...quality cheese, real tomatoes etc etc. It's so good. And if you happen to pass by on a Wednesday after work, pick up the veal parmigiana... one order for $9 will serve two people and it's delicious. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

1  Thank WhirrledTraveler
Reviewed October 4, 2009

One of my favorite places in Des Plaines. Reliably good pizza, very nice people. No credit cards, bottled soda, etc., but really, really good pizza.

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I'm going to make a bold statement here....this is the best pizza I've ever had! Visit the restaurant with it's comfy spotless dining room and outdoor dining area then pick a slice of amazing pizza. Whether it's spinach and ricotta, sausage pepperoni and bacon, or tomato and mushroom...you can't miss! The homemade soup is also outstanding, especially the sausage! They also have Italian Dinners, daily specials, panzerotti, sandwiches too! ALL homemade! The family owned & operated restaurant is super friendly. Conveniently located on Oakton Street between Mannheim Road and Des Plaines/River Road. Near the Allstate Arena and major expressways too. I've visted 3 times this past week and I'm still in awe of the food! Do NOT eat pizza anywhere else until you've tried Gigio's!!!!

1  Thank mpaine1985