“Disappointing Food Served by Friendly People in a Beautiful Room”
Review of Cafe La Cave

Cafe La Cave
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe La Cave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 186 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Higgins and Touhy
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Granted, I went as part of a large group that reserved one of the ballrooms, so our experience may have been part of cooking for the masses. The room was very nice, and the bartender was wonderful, as was our large crew of waitstaff. They deserved praise and did a fine job of attending.

The problem was the food. Our first course was an off-smelling tomato soup that had tiny vegetables and tiny "chef boyardee spaghetti-o" pasta. Four our main courses we all felt underwhelmed. We had choices of dual breast of chicken, with competing sauces on each (Madeira with shiitake and a Sherry cream mushroom) -the sauces were good but had to top dry and flavorless tiny chicken breast medallions; filet mignon (my favorite meat) which tasted charred and un-aged even though perfectly cooked inside, and was accompanied by an off-tasting bordelaise sauce. The salad course was delicious with the basil cream vinaigrette- that was actually my favorite part of the meal. The vegetables which accompanied the main course were okay but commanded no attention and were mostly flavorless. Our dessert course was a cheesecake mousse with a crumbled cookie 'base' in a martini glass which was underwhelming.

Again, my thanks to the very kind and attentive bar and table staff; if the food improves we will be back.

2  Thank OKCChildpsych

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I eat here about 2 or 3 times a year. The food is a bit high priced but I do not mind paying for good food. Occasionally we'll get a great meal here and that makes it worthwhile. I see some complaints about the service but we ALWAYS find the service to be impeccable. The wait staff is knowledgeable and spot on. From our experiences i find it difficult to believe that anybody has trouble with the service (unless of course the diner may deserve it). I recommend Cafe La Cave as a romantic spot, a businees spot or just as a gathering place for a few friends. The staff are very accomodating.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Cafe la Cave has always enjoyed a very good reputation in the area and as result I've always wanted to eat there. But, it wasn't very good, it wasn't even good, it was poor. We ordered a very expensive entree in Chateaubriand. The meal started with bread and butter - and the butter had that funky taste when it has been in the refrigerator too long and absorbed the taste of other food items. Ick. Then the Chateaubriand came out. The meat was supposed to be "medium" and it was still that purple color (read raw) in the middle. And, the veggies had the funk taste that the butter had - they weren't even edible. So disappointing and so crazy expensive. Definitely didn't live up to the hype.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a trade show here. Facility was spotless and lay out was good. Dinner was excellent, only topped by the professional and efficient wait staff. Beautiful facility.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Celebrated our anniversay there this year. It was the first time I had been there since the 1970's. Food is still excellent and the atmosphere is exquisite. A wonderful romantic setting for a special dinner.

Been to Cafe La Cave? Share your experiences!