“Average BW”

Best Western Des Plaines Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Des Plaines
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The hotel has the typical "needs to be updated" feel to it. Front desk was helpful and expedient, although not overly friendly. The room was clean and comfortable, nothing broken, no bugs, and no smells, as stated in some other reviews.

I slept through the night, which is an anomally for me. Typically, the bed is not comfortable, the air conditioner/ fridge is noisy, elevator noise, road noise, slamming doors, etc keeps me up. No complaints on this go round. The hotel is a couple hundred meters South of E Algonquin, which is a very busy road and I had no issues with traffic noise. O'Hare is about 10 km away and I do not recall hearing jet engines overhead. Located about 2 km West of the Tri-state and 2 km North of the Dan Ryan. This means I was close to the interstates, but could not hear them.

The pool (indoor) was clean and a good size for doing laps, long but not wide. I do not recall furniture and it did not have the "Let's hang out by the pool" feel. The pool room could use a redo. The drop ceiling was a little delapidated and the windows need to be replaced. It reminded me of an old inner city YMCA. The windows are the old slide single pane which were icy and cold given it was around 20 degrees. I spent time in the lobby on my laptop and was able to get some work done. Wi-Fi worked well throughout the hotel and I was able to linc to my car as well with no issues.

Breakfast was the typical fare for BW. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. Fruit was good.

The hotel was comfortable and really gave me nothing to complain about. It was cheap, clean, and served its purpose. If in Des Plaines again, I would book another stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
manojmahapatra, General Manager at Best Western Des Plaines Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We are very thankful for your reviews. We strive to exceed every expectation for all our guests and look forward to using these comments to improve for future reservations. I assure you that we are upgrading and updating constantly and would love another chance to accommodate you. I thank you personally for taking the time and effort to let us know your experience.

Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

I called ahead to make sure we took the right exit. The clerk answers "hello" I'm thinking oh no I called someone's house by accident. He could have said best western somewhere in his hello. When we arrive he said we didn't have a reservation once we offered our conformation number he replies oh here it is. the third floor smells moldy and the room smelled like it used to be a smoking room, but was never cleaned to remove the odors. The sinks were set very high anyone shorter than an average person would need a step stool. The toilets would not flush on the first try. The water was hot, but the shower had no pressure, you might as well splash around in the sink and get the same results! There were people slamming doors and talking loudly at two am, and the location was right by loud train tracks. Breakfast was cramped with all the people trying to eat. Nothing was stocked, but when we asked for plates and napkins the guy got on it right away. Waffles did not cook properly in the automatic iron. We called the front desk to ask about getting change for the toll roads and she was unhelpful. So we pried to see if there was a nearby bank, her response... There is one down the street. Wow! Thanks! Maybe a direction, left or right? Or maybe the name of the bank? Jeeze! We went to use the bathroom on the first floor and waited for the single bathroom to be available after 15 minutes we opted to go find a gas station on the way out of this hell hole. Never again would I stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your business and I personally apologize on behalf of my team for not exceeding your expectations. We are remodeling the entire hotel including all rooms and the hotel exterior to make sure our guests have a more enjoyable and comfortable stay. We thank you for choosing best western and we look forward to making your next reservation a better stay.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks while we found a place to stay after just moving here from out of town. They were helpful in getting us a good room at a reasonable price for the duration of our stay. Friendly and helpful employees. Room was clean and everything was in working order. TV quality not so good, color was off and power button on TV didn't work. Remote worked perfectly, however. Very quiet, we had no problem with noise disturbances. GREAT location, right by downtown. Everything you need is here. We enjoyed our stay here very much and definitely recommend staying here =)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review. We are glad to hear that your stay was pleasant and we look forward to your next one being even better. I wanna personally let you know that we have recently ordered brand new flat screen TV's for all the rooms and they will be installed by next week. We thank you for your business and look forward to accommodating you again in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

What a wonderful hotel to stay in. Rooms are very clean. Everyone is more than hopeful. And it is such a relaxing atmosphere. I couldn't be happier.

• Stayed: April 2012

We appreciate the good review and look to continue on positive feedback. We are glad to hear your were satisfied with your stay and we thank you once again for letting us know.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

The toilet was not working and there were visible bedbugs on the pillow. A horrible filthy hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We arrived late at night to find our room had a broken toilet with a hole in the basin and water on the bathroom floor. No other rooms were available, and as it was late we stayed anyway, being told we would get a discount in the morning. Upon waking up, found a bed bug on the pillow. Took the bug to the front desk, to be told that since we had prebooked via Hotels.com we would have to deal with Hotels.com for a refund. I was also told that no one else had complained of bed bugs in that room (implying that there was not a problem, perhaps?). When Hotels.com called the front desk, the person at the desk said there were no bed bugs in the room. Very disappointing to be called a liar. I have a picture of the toilet and bed bug that I will be sending to Hotels.com as proof. Breakfast was just Ok. The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is there was heat in the room and there was hot water. Overall, a very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I booked this hotel, for a Valentines Day trip, through a package deal on Delta Vacations. This hotel was probably chic in the 80s, but sure is dated. Room was a decent size with a lumpy king bed. The area the hotel is located in is on the border of shady and good. The real kicker is the airport shuttle: It is a cab service that took, a number of phone calls and over an hour to pick us up from the airport. Thank God, I have a patient, understanding wife. If you are looking for peace of mind, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are currently doing upgrading and remodeling for the entire hotel and looking forward to showing you a better stay in the future. We have increased in the amount of drivers, so that it is more efficient and much faster then before. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Plaines
Edward Hotel Chicago
Edward Hotel Chicago
#17 of 18 in Rosemont
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare Northwest

Been to Best Western Des Plaines Inn? Share your experiences!