“We will be back tomorrow!!!”
Review of Via Roma

Via Roma
Ranked #3 of 184 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone number is 847-768-7461, zip code 60016
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“We will be back tomorrow!!!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is the best italian outside Chicago! We are foodies, and there are few italian places outside Chicago that are this good! We went on Friday at 745, and it was full, when we called they said 30 min but when we got there they had one 2 person table left, perfect! It is free corkage so we brought a wine which we love. The atmosphere is much like a true Italian restaurant, small and loud lol. The owner was there cooking which was nice to see! The menu is smaller, but once again that's how it is in Italy. Got bruschetta to start, highly recommend. My husband got the gnocchi, it was not quite as fluffy as some others I've tried before, but I prefer a heartier gnocchi anyways. I got rigatoni in a tomato broth with prosciutto, basil, mushrooms, and garlic. It was sooooo good! We split tiramisu, which is hard to find in the burbs made with real ladyfingers and espessro. We both got a cappaucino, which had the perfect portions of foam and espresso. Our waiter made them, and he made the most perfect microfoam, Chicago baristas could take a lesson from him! So excited such a good restaurant without having to go all the way downtown. We will be back next weekend! :)

• Visited October 2013

New Hartford, Connecticut
“Dinner”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the positive reviews I decided to try Via Roma. Ordered the pasta with clams, mussels and shrimp in spicy marinara sauce. Basically tasteless... No herbs, no garlic, no spice. I loaded it up with hot pepper flakes and some black pepper to help it out. Bottom line- the BYOB is a nice touch but the meal was just basic. The bread average.
On the bright side, the couple next to me ordered a mozzarella, prosciutto, olive appetizer- looked good.

1 Thank mrchicopee
Chicago, United States
“Authentic Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This restaurant is casual.But, the food is an authentic Italian cuisine.One of my favorite appetizers is the mozzarella. Weather permitting, the patio tables provide a relaxing change. Convenient location as well. The prices are reasonable. The service is very good. I strongly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank James W
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great Atmosphere and FANTASTIC food!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

After reading other reviews we decided to take my mother in law here for a birthday dinner. She flew in from Hong Kong to visit us and we drove 3 hrs to Chicago, so this dinner was a BIG deal. Via Roma was perfect! We got to sit out in the back patio (highly recommend it if the weather is nice, just be prepared for some occasional airplane noise at this is near O'Hare. Didn't bother us.). We had 2 older children with us (10 and 13) and my very picky mom in law. BYOB is great. I think more restaurants should do this. Things we loved:
1. Atmosphere: casual but classy...a great mix of the two which is rarely accomplished well. The owner even stopped and chatted with us not once, but THREE times!
2. BYOB- bring your own wine and no corking fee. Loved this idea. Just make sure you bring your own as they only serve sodas and waters otherwise.
3. Really, really good Italian food...fresh, authentic, original. The food was so stellar I can't adequately give it enough praise. My 10 year old ordered mushroom stuffed ravioli that was unbelievably good. The bread came out very quickly but we did not feel rushed with the rest of the food. All 5 of us ordered something different and were impressed by each dish. The sheer number of mussels in the seafood dish my older daughter ordered was what showcased a true quality meal. No skimping here. Hazelnut gelato was fought over at our table it was so good.

Fair warning they can get really busy past 7pm and only take reservations for parties of 6 or more.

If you like great Italian food, laughs, friends and a gathering around a glass of wine you'll love this place.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Oyejhun
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Today's Visit”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a small, intimate restaurant with excellent wait-staff and great authentic Italian food. When I visit a friend who lives at Heritage in Des Plaines, we always visit this restaurant and we enjoy our time there.

• Visited July 2013