“Unique lodging”

Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and I visited this hotel for a graduation at the naval training Command. The hotel rooms are like town homes and we loved it. Everyone had their own space and the complete kitchen was a winner. Breakfast was excellent as always for Marriott and the staff was friendly. My only complaint is not with the hotel itself, but the location of the hotel. The hotel is located inside a business park and it is kind of hard to find. Also there is almost no dining options in the immediate area which made our eating out kind of hard. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bakeme
Shane E, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great post about the hotel! It never gets old hearing that my staff was excellent and did a great job for you!!!

I do agree with you that we are tough to find. We have worked with Google maps to correct this issue but sometimes the satellites on some GPS systems do not find us as easy.

Thanks again for staying with us and for taking the time to post. We really appreciate it!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I traveled via Amtrak to Chiago from St. Louis for a short visit. We chose to stay outside of downtown to save a little money. After a rough trip into Chiago due to delays and crabby kids (ages 1 and 3) we finally stepped off the Metra at the Lake-Cook station at 9pm at night. I chose this hotel mainly b/c it was walking distance from the Metra and priced right. Google diretions failed me! After 30 mins of walking in a circle, I called the hotel who sent us a shuttle, thank goodness. They were even nice enough to show us how to get back to the Metra if walking. We had a 2 bed/2 bath room which was amazing. Super clean all around. No nasty stray hairs in the tub found while bathing the kids. Huge bath towels, every light worked, full kitchen with full size coffee pot, pack-in-play with a sheet for my 1yo, big breakfast in the morning (they even had highchairs available). The shuttle was available to take us to the Metra each morning with no wait. Staff was always helpful and plesent.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Shane E, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful post! I think one of the nicest things about the hotel is the fact that we are so convenient to the Metra station for trips back and forth to downtown!

Thank you also for the great comments in regards to our staff and our rooms. I think we have an amazing staff and I am glad that they our noticed for their hard work.

Thanks again for staying with us on your trip and we look forward to having you stay with us during your next trip to Chicago!

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

The room is nice. The appliances are not the cheap stuff, very nice. The best parts? Housekeeping does your dishes, thanks!!! And, I like being able to park right outside of my room instead of dealing with lobbies and crowds. Very nice to come back to after a long day working. Only con... It's time to upgrade the laundry room.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing about your stay. When I am traveling I always try and stay at a Residence Inn for the kitchens and the fact that the staff takes care of the dishes!

I do agree that we are in need of a guest laundry re-vamp. Right now we are working on replacing 2 pieces of equipment each year (new washing machines will be added by November) and will also be doing some touch ups to the room.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

As a solo business traveler, I had to take a last minute to trip to visit a few companies in Deerfield. It was recommend that I stay at this establishment as it is located in the same office park. While not normally enjoying the suite style hotel, I was pleasantly surprised at the service and the comfort of the room.

Check in was remarkably efficient and was given directions to my room. The hotel isn't one building but rather a "village" of townhouse looking structures that had four rooms each. My room was in a far back corner on the first floor. It was apparent walking in to the room, it had been recently remodeled. The room was bright with new furniture and appointments. The floorplan was open and reminded me of a studio apartment in NYC. The unit included a couch and easy chair, fireplace, good work station, king size bed and full kitchen.

While the hotel is located in a office park, it is conveniently located across a pretty major shopping district that includes a grocery store. This proved to be a god send as I was able to purchase groceries (i.e. fruits and vegetables) and cook in the room.

Stay away from the breakfasts. Underwhelming.

Overall, this facility was clean, convenient and value priced. Recommended to the business traveler or those with families.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KeithT879

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay. I am always very pleased when I see great comments about our recently renovated rooms and especially pleased when I see comments about our amazing staff!

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel has really good reviews on Trip Advisor - having just stayed there, I have to wonder why. We stayed one night as we were going to a wedding nearby and the rest of the wedding party were staying there. The $99 rate sounded great - but the experience was disappointing. Firstly, the room smelled odd. Almost as if someone had spilled milk in the carpet some time ago. The surround of the bath was cracked and dingy looking. It's impossible to use the bathroom sink without waking your room mate as there is no door to that part of the bathroom. On the plus side, the desk clerk was super friendly. The breakfast was okay - I would avoid the dried out sausage patties but people seemed to be enjoying the waffles.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shane E, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not the best for you. I will absolutely bring up your stay to my staff and make sure that these items are addressed. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your stay, please feel free to contact us directly.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I chose this property as my husband and daughter were joining me for this trip to the area. I normally stay at the Renaissance Northbrook, so I was aware that the style of hotel and amenities would be lesser but was looking for the additional space as a top priority.
The most unfortunate part of this property is that there are no one-bedroom suites as I would normally expect to find at a Residence Inn. Instead, there are studios or you have to upgrade to a two bedroom suite which is obviously more costly. I was hoping to get upgraded to one as a Platinum member, but this did not happen.
We stayed in building 4 which is at the far back corner of the property. It was very quiet. Had I been traveling alone, I would not have liked this location as it was not only in the back corner of the property, but I had to go around to the back side of the building to find my entrance - not the most safe feeling if I was coming in at night.
The property is laid out as individual buildings which feel more like a townhouse set-up and each unit has its own entrance from the outside directly into the room - not ideal in bad weather. This also means you have a bit of an outdoor walk to get to any of the amenities - breakfast, pool, exercise facility, etc - again, not ideal in bad weather. Parking is conveniently spread throughout the property and allows you to park very near your unit.
Check-in was quite easy and the staff were friendly. We requested a late check-out which they acted like would not be possible, but did go ahead and grant the extra 1 hr (to 1:00pm).
Breakfast was just ok, nothing great but enough to get by. It was a big bonus when one of the dining attendants saw our daughter and brought out crayons and a coloring page.
The pool was a huge hit. It was outdoor but clearly heated as it was very comfortable during the last week of August. Plenty of towels available at the pool and a restroom easily accessible right inside the building at the nearest entrance from the pool. It was closed promptly at dusk.
We did have a few spiders in our room which was not surprising considering the trees surrounding the back property line, but not something I was thrilled about considering there were multiple occurrences and they weren't small.
The hotel is just down the road from Northbrook Court which is a nice mall and has a really great restaurant - Di Pescara. There is also a Starbucks on Lake Cook Rd within 2 minutes of the hotel. There are not an abundance of sit-down, table service dining options in the immediate area.
The property is tucked back inside a corporate park area, so it's not an obvious location when driving down Lake Cook Rd. Look for the big "500 Corporate" sign at the light and you'll know to turn.

Room Tip: Don't plan on a separate bedroom from living area unless you book a 2-bedroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While it looks like we did not succeed this time in making it the best stay for you, our staff appreciate the feedback so that we can make our hotel better. Our hotel is unique in that we have the separate buildings and some are not as close to the gatehouse as we would like them to be. This can be a pest for our guests, and I do apologize. I hope that your next Marriott experience is a better fit for you and your family.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I usually stay at the Hyatt down the street, but for some reason I was unable to get a room there in July... This was a bad experience... Terrible location; there is literally no food options near this hotel (it is tucked away off the main road near office buildings)... The room was a nice size, but dirty and could use some updating... Staff seemed indifferent. Not somewhere I'd stay again for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry that you did not have the best experience. I am not sure if you were able to discuss dining options with our desk staff or not but there are some very nice restaurants in the area within a 1 mile radius and we would be happy to shuttle you to and from the hotel. If you decide to stay with us again in the future we would be delighted to assist. I know this doesn't make up for your bad experience but we can only learn from our mistakes and get better for our guests. Thanks again for your response.

Best Regards,

Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield? Share your experiences!