“Better Places to Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Better Places to Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I used to work in this neighborhood, so like to stay in the area when traveling between Wisconsin and Michigan.
My wife and 9 month old son stayed here the summer of 2012.
Simply put, the place is dated/dingy, a little spooky, and there are better options just down the street, if they're available.
I say spooky because my wife was a bit spooked out by the people she saw wandering about the place. I have to agree it was a bit odd, but I didn't feel uncomfortable.
However, this hotel is really nothing more than a place to crash, and much better alternatives are just a few blocks away for about twenty bucks more.
If you're cheap, or single, or everything else is booked, this is the place to stay; otherwise, drive on.

Room Tip: Try to get first floor, as elevator is slow, and the stairs are dingy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nathan L
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn Chicago Northbrook/Deerfield during your stay this past summer. I am sorry to hear you found it spooky. If there is ever a concern with respect to guests wandering around the hotel or any other concern that may make you feel uneasy, please call the front desk and we will address the issue immediately. Again, thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn and we hope that you visit us again in the future.

Nathan Gavzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Queens Village, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Red Roof Inn, Northbrook, IL.
We had the most pleasant stay. The staff was kind and efficient. Yes, the room was small, but it was clean. No, we didn't have enough towels or toilet paper, but the second I asked, before I hung up the phone, maintenance was at my door. They gave me whatever we wanted. Parking and access to the room was wonderful. I needed a printer and the lobby printer was out of ink, the main desk without any questions asked let me use their printer.
No complaints whatsoever. For the money we paid, we stayed at much worse places for more money. Thank you to the staff of the Red Roof Inn. The washer and dryer are easy access. TV is old but ample.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! I am glad to hear that we were able to meet your needs and that you found our staff helpful. Our goal is to make every guest's stay a great one and it sounds like we accomplished this goal with you.

Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is fine for short stays but the regular rooms are tiny and they are very stingy with the towels pillows and soap.

Staff is friendly but a little hard to understand on the phone.

Will try the King. Size room when I return next year.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your response. While we do try to accommodate all of our guests needs, we may, on occasion run short on supplies. Please accept my apologies for this. We look forward to seeing you next year.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

WONDER! is the first thought that comes to mind when visiting this fine establishment. A short walk across the highway to the joy of Nickel CIty will have your fears of Rm. 217 melting away.
Upon experiencing the tearful bliss that only 1004 tickets can bring I purchased the Wizard's Brew with my earnings and used it to create a magical Russian Fantasy.
My morning walks to the conveniently located Starbucks were carefree.

Shopping carts races you might ask?

Yes, they were abundant and terrifying.

I recommend this Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with 217.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ravinia217
Northbrook
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had a reservation for a king bed, non smoking. They put me in a smoking with a double bed. Room odor from spray to compensate for smokers was overwhelmingly irritating. General condition of room was a c-. I was compensated for one nights stay due to screw-up, but this did not make my stay there acceptable. I learned that in future only book directly with the hotel. Booking through Hotels. com or similiar agency does not guarantee that if you have booked a non-smoking room, you will, in fact, receive a non-smoking room-- and then having them make an adjustment to your bill at the hotel is impossible--you will need to contact booking agency and they will inform you of the fine print which you undoubtedly did not read which says--they really don't guarantee any of your requests--just too bad for you. I will say the manger of the Deerfield Red Roof was helpful and courteous l in resolving our difficulty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank chuck s
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Please again accept my apologies for not having the room type you booked available at check in. We strive to please every guest, but sometimes do fall short. When we do fall short, we try to make things right and I am glad that you found us helpful and courteous when we resolved the situation for you.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, weeknight, solo, in a ground floor room. This was a hotel of last resort - had a power outage during a heat wave.

Most of the hotels in the area range from $100-$200 a night, but this one hovers around $60 a night. So its basically the cheap hotel in the area, its a one start property, so set your expectations at that level to start with.

Location-wise, its right next to the Edens Spur (I-94), close to shopping and some businesses, but difficult to find (it is back behind some commercial stuff, on a small access road near the highway ramp).

The building is older, it is an outside hallway hotel that is in mediocre shape. Not horrible, but could use some work. Very few common ammenities - ice machine, some vending machines, coin-fed washer/dryer, free coffee in the lobby.

First room I got, looked OK at first glance... until I saw the dozen or so dead bugs all over the floor, mostly in the bathroom. Then I saw the diner - a large wolf spider, who I squished. Then I killed another bug, and another spider. At this point, it was obvious no one had been in this room in a long time, so I called the Front Desk, and they moved me to the room next door.

Second room was bug-free. Decor is very basic and mostly outdated, room is smallish, but it seemed clean. Bed was OK, pillows were lousy. Carpet was coming up a bit in some places, shower area of bathroom needed some work. A/C is a loud under-window unit.

They do have free Wi-Fi, so that was nice. And the Front Desk guy was nice, quick to change my room, so that was fine too.

Basically, unless that $40 difference per night or a bit of a drive to a different area are dealbreakers, I'd stay somewhere else. As an emergency place or on a budget, it will do, but walk around your room and check it before getting settled.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Migizi
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am sorry to hear about the issue with your first room, but I am glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to provide a viable solution for you. With respect to the condition of the room, I am glad to hear you found it clean. We do our best to keep our rooms as clean as possible. Thank you for your comments.
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Older inn, with exterior entrances. Very clean, good facilities, and a really helpful staff. Great location, near I-94 and Chicago's northern suburbs. Good beds, but pillows need replacement. Easy access to several affordable and reliable restaurants.

Room Tip: May have to pay a bit more for room with coffee maker, though coffee in office is (weak but) free.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheDane_10
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! We are in the process of replacing some of our soft goods and pillows are definitely on the list. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
4.0 of 5 stars 403 reviews
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!