“Good but you get what you pay for”

Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is fine for short stays but the regular rooms are tiny and they are very stingy with the towels pillows and soap.

Staff is friendly but a little hard to understand on the phone.

Will try the King. Size room when I return next year.

• Stayed: September 2012
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for your response. While we do try to accommodate all of our guests needs, we may, on occasion run short on supplies. Please accept my apologies for this. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Nathan Gavzer

Reviewed September 13, 2012

WONDER! is the first thought that comes to mind when visiting this fine establishment. A short walk across the highway to the joy of Nickel CIty will have your fears of Rm. 217 melting away.
Upon experiencing the tearful bliss that only 1004 tickets can bring I purchased the Wizard's Brew with my earnings and used it to create a magical Russian Fantasy.
My morning walks to the conveniently located Starbucks were carefree.

Shopping carts races you might ask?

Yes, they were abundant and terrifying.

I recommend this Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with 217.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ravinia217
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had a reservation for a king bed, non smoking. They put me in a smoking with a double bed. Room odor from spray to compensate for smokers was overwhelmingly irritating. General condition of room was a c-. I was compensated for one nights stay due to screw-up, but this did not make my stay there acceptable. I learned that in future only book directly with the hotel. Booking through Hotels. com or similiar agency does not guarantee that if you have booked a non-smoking room, you will, in fact, receive a non-smoking room-- and then having them make an adjustment to your bill at the hotel is impossible--you will need to contact booking agency and they will inform you of the fine print which you undoubtedly did not read which says--they really don't guarantee any of your requests--just too bad for you. I will say the manger of the Deerfield Red Roof was helpful and courteous l in resolving our difficulty

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank chuck s
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Please again accept my apologies for not having the room type you booked available at check in. We strive to please every guest, but sometimes do fall short. When we do fall short, we try to make things right and I am glad that you found us helpful and courteous when we resolved the situation for you.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, weeknight, solo, in a ground floor room. This was a hotel of last resort - had a power outage during a heat wave.

Most of the hotels in the area range from $100-$200 a night, but this one hovers around $60 a night. So its basically the cheap hotel in the area, its a one start property, so set your expectations at that level to start with.

Location-wise, its right next to the Edens Spur (I-94), close to shopping and some businesses, but difficult to find (it is back behind some commercial stuff, on a small access road near the highway ramp).

The building is older, it is an outside hallway hotel that is in mediocre shape. Not horrible, but could use some work. Very few common ammenities - ice machine, some vending machines, coin-fed washer/dryer, free coffee in the lobby.

First room I got, looked OK at first glance... until I saw the dozen or so dead bugs all over the floor, mostly in the bathroom. Then I saw the diner - a large wolf spider, who I squished. Then I killed another bug, and another spider. At this point, it was obvious no one had been in this room in a long time, so I called the Front Desk, and they moved me to the room next door.

Second room was bug-free. Decor is very basic and mostly outdated, room is smallish, but it seemed clean. Bed was OK, pillows were lousy. Carpet was coming up a bit in some places, shower area of bathroom needed some work. A/C is a loud under-window unit.

They do have free Wi-Fi, so that was nice. And the Front Desk guy was nice, quick to change my room, so that was fine too.

Basically, unless that $40 difference per night or a bit of a drive to a different area are dealbreakers, I'd stay somewhere else. As an emergency place or on a budget, it will do, but walk around your room and check it before getting settled.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Migizi
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your first room, but I am glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to provide a viable solution for you. With respect to the condition of the room, I am glad to hear you found it clean. We do our best to keep our rooms as clean as possible. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Older inn, with exterior entrances. Very clean, good facilities, and a really helpful staff. Great location, near I-94 and Chicago's northern suburbs. Good beds, but pillows need replacement. Easy access to several affordable and reliable restaurants.

Room Tip: May have to pay a bit more for room with coffee maker, though coffee in office is (weak but) free.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheDane_10
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for your kind words! We are in the process of replacing some of our soft goods and pillows are definitely on the list. Thanks again.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

What an unexpected pleasant surprise! I hate to get a hotel for such a short trip but the weather dictated that I get one. The room was clean and well laid out with good working space. With tax my bill for one night was $54.87, at that price I don’t need a free breakfast, work out room or pool. The staff was friendly and it was easy check in & out. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2011

LOCATION- So, this property sits right off the expressway and right next a Bally Total Fitness. It's a little off in the deep so keep your eyes open for the big "Red Roof Inn" sign.

PROPERTY- The check in was easy and fast. We were givien a room right next to the front desk. That was perfect considering we were only staying one night. The was ample parking too. The outside of the buidling was a little worn. The front desk area had FREE coffee, a computer for guest use, and attraction, dining, and shopping brochures.

ROOM - The room was nicely updated! Very cool lamps and lighting. Had an old school motel feel, loved it. We had a room with a refridgerator, microwave, safe, and coffee maker. These are NOT standard and you have to pay a little extra for a room like this. The bathroom was tiny, but the shower felt great! Not enough towels and no iron and ironing board in the room. You had to get one from the front desk. Bed was comfortable, needed better pillows.

CHECK OUT - This is where we experienced the problem. So we were using a FREE NIGHT certificate to cover the cost of our room that we received from another manager at the Red Roof Inn in downtown Chicago. The person that checked us out (he seemed like a manager) wasn't aware and I told him that young lady that checked us in took it and put it in our file. He didn't want to look for it until I asked him to! Then once he found it, he questioned it! Reading it over and over, turning in backwards and forwards, and then asked where I got it from! I was appalled! But there was nothing he could do since it was a valid certificate and signed by a supervisor with her card attached. He said "Ok, you're good." Then I asked for a reciept and he said "for what?" REALLY?! And I explained that I like to have reciepts for all my hotel stays. He relunctantly gave me one and we left. Personally, I just think he had an attitude because we didn't have to pay for the room and he wasn't expecting that. OH WELL!

Overall, it was a decent stay...would I go back? Maybe.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room if you think you may need a fridge and microwave
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!