“Good Business and Family Hotel but in need of a refurb”

Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Naples, Florida
“Good Business and Family Hotel but in need of a refurb”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions as it is well located for family visits. The staff are good and friendly and the hotel is generally clean and presents well, it is however now in need of some cap ex and a refurbishment as it is starting to look tired.

Room Tip: a higher floor and one that has exec facilities
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
DeerfieldMarriott, General Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Neil,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us, we truly appreciate your comments. We will be doing some updates to the guest rooms, restaurant, meeting rooms, pool and fitness center as we move into the summer and fall this year. We look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Deerfield. Please contact me directly for assistance.

Safe Travels,

Sam Kelly
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Two Parkway North
Deerfield, IL 60015
Phone: 847-405-9666 Fax: 847-405-9660
samuel.kelly2@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
NYC
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just completed a two night stay for business. My stay was very disappointing.
the list of issues:
1.Check in was a joke. Got to the elevator and realised the desk clerk did not put my room number on the key holder

2. Couldn't get eggs for breakfast as the omlette person was MIA
3.Twice at lunch someone in out group ordered a cheeseburger. Both times no cheese and we had to track down the server to get it corrected. The second time the server never returned to the table.
4. No internet service in the room for over 3 hours
5. No Newspapers available 2 of the 3 days
6.Voice mail not working
7. Could not get a cup of coffee at breakfast. Had to go to the coffee station in the lobby to get it and when the waiter finally showed up i requested coffee. Never delivered so back to the lobby for coffee.
My general observation is Hotel Management does not care about Customer service. At lunch both days Marriott employees who looked like management were seated next to our table and NEVER intervened of said anything. It looked like they got good service and were having a good time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve T
Victoria S, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Steve T,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback regarding your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced and that our attempts to take care of your issues were insufficient. It is very important to us that your experience is an exceptional one while staying at our Hotel and that fact that it wasn't is very dissapointing to me. If you would like to discuss this further, I'd be more then happy to contact you at your earliest convenience. If you'd like, you can also reach me at victoria.shamshura@marriott.com.
New Jersey
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Nearly everything you expect in a full-service suites hotel but poor food.
Excellent staff - Marriott really gets the importance of good staff in its higher end faciliities. Front desk and restaurant (+ for Jennifer and bartender - always very attentive)
Nicely laid out and open lobby/bar/restaurant area.
Standard well appointed suite, comfortable bed, full bath (separate tub and 'tight' shower). Good closure between bedroom and living area
Awkward placing of relatively small tv in bedroom, made almost useless. Work area is substantial and well lit
Negative: The hotel is in a business park, nearest restaurants 1-3 miles away so I ate both nights and mornings in hotel.
Meal choices were adequate but everything was bland and nearly tasteless. Ok, don't expect much from fish tacos in Chicago, but this was a small slab of no-flavor salmon on lettuce in a tortilla - not close. Other choices fared no better, lacking any flavor at all
Breakfast buffet was better, sufficient choices including fresh fruit and omelets.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Victoria S, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
DillyScarlet,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am happy to hear that our staff took great care of you. I will also address your concerns with our F&B Department regarding your dining experience. We will be making some changes to our menu in the near future and hope that you wil see the improvement on your next visit.
We hope to see you soon, and if there is anything I can do to ensure an exceptional experience, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at this property December 21st. I was promptly greeted by the young lady at the Guest Service counter. I was traveling to chicago to visit my sister fora night then on my way to Iowa to visit the in-laws for christmas and needless to say leaving 72* Alabama heat for the low teens of Chicago was a shocker!!!!

The hotel itself was clean, quiet and comfy. It wasn't the easiest to find at dark and with snow/ice for southern folk like me but I felt more than safe in the hotel itself.

I would tell anyone that was looking for a hotel in the area about this hotel and recommend it to anyone.

I didn't test out the pool, weight room or the restaurant so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Deerfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Colorfully decked out in holiday décor in the bright, welcoming lobby, we were offered a beautiful suite (500) and had a comfortable stay while we attended a local year end party.

The suite was well-appointed and the front desk staff graciously offered a late checkout of 200 pm as we knew we would not be early risers on New Year's Day.

A surprising gem in the north Chicago suburbs!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and upgraded suite, especially on the weekend!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. My room was very nice, spacious and comfortable. I really liked having coffee service and a microwave as well. The desk space was plentiful and I really appreciated the outlets to recharge all my electronic gadgets.

I am all about working out on the road as I travel a lot (and therefore eat out quite a bit). The fitness center at this hotel is adequate but very small and cramped by today's standards and in need of an upgrade. I think I would look for a different hotel if you are interested in a good fitness center - beyond cardio (of which they have plenty of cardio equipment). I've added pictures of the fitness center - please note that it is adequate for a workout, but will only allow one person to work out at a time. The multi-function weight machine was useful, however some attachments are missing - and have not been replaced by the hotel.

One other improvement would be the food in the lobby grill. It was sub-par, except for the chicken breast - which was excellent. The drinks are not generous - and I was told they were strictly monitored by cameras - so you will pay dearly for a very small glass of wine. If you want a nice glass of wine, you are better off to purchase elsewhere.

Room Tip: This is an off-street location, so most, if not all rooms should be quiet unless you are next to the...
Green Features: No recycling containers in the room :(. That would be a great improvement.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
COLUMBUS OHIO
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Not a fan.
The address on the website is wrong, TWO GPS's sent me to the wrong end of the office complex, and one cannot see the hotel from the medical bldg at the location designated.
After driving around for a while - and calling a friend for help - I finally found the place.
Check-in was good, the lounge was nice, the bar/cafe staff pleasant, the room was clean-ish.
Here are some thoughts:
1> bare wires and an exposed electrical socket? not good.
2> what 'genius' decided that however you get from bedroom to WC you HAVE to negotiate two sets of doors, - one of them a slider that doesn't? Particularly in the middle of the night?
3. Other '3 star' hotels generally provide guests a bar of soap for bathroom and washbasin. Is that SO expensive?
4. Kleenex in tissue box cubes.....those boxes cost a buck apiece at the drugstore, but the one in my room was stuffed with misfolded tissues from a 'letterbox' style tissue box. Red Roof Inns does better.
The bed was comfy, however.the entertainment provided by the couple whispering in the next room was intrusive (never have i dealt with such poor room privacy...i think the headboards acted as resonators somehow).. ad i refused to buy the wifi cos it was exorbitant $.
Dinner was at least as good as Burger King and only 3x expensive.
Breakfast was pretty good, quite honestly - a nice surprise....although Tea requires HOT not lukewarm water.
Parking was free.
I didn't check out the fitness center, I got quite sufficient cardio battling the revolving door in center of atrium. I know it wasn't just me being feeble - two other guests remarked upon it, we ended up comparing bruises where our shoulders had collided with an 'immovable' object that needed lubrication BADLY.

Look -if you're visiting a business in this office park......well this place is better than camping out in a tent. If you're not, then i'd respectfully suggest the Hyatt Deerfield. That's where I went for nights #2 and #3 of this trip.

Room Tip: Windows facing AWAY from entrance if you can - or you will get woken by headlights all the night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
The Westin Chicago North Shore

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield? Share your experiences!