“Looks nice, but bad choice.”

Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Sometimes when I'm in the Chicagoland area, I stay at the Hyatt in Deerfield. Sometimes the rates are surprisingly low (e.g. I got an excellent rate of $69 over Thanksgiving).

The main lobby is bright, modern, well-designed. There's a great gym and swimming pool. Beds are wonderfully comfortable.

The major cons:

The staff is unhelpful. Simple questions like 'Does the hotel offer a laundry service?' or 'How much is the breakfast buffet?' baffled the front desk staff.

Everything is extra. If you drink a bottle of water in the room, you pay. If you want internet, you pay. If you want to use the business center, you pay.

The MAIN TERRIBLE THING is the following:

Twice out of the three times I've stayed here, I've been assigned (different) rooms, all with one feature in common: a leaking toilet that is annoying as hell and that persists 24/7. On one occasion it was just a constant drip, drip, drip, but sometimes it's like a waterfall in there - and not in a soothing way. On one occasion I called to have it fixed and nothing was done. This time, a service person did come but I'm not sure whether the problem was solved completely.

I'm thinking this must be a common problem in the hotel, since it has happened to me on more than one occasion. It's certainly annoying enough to potentially put me off staying here again, even though the hotel is lovely in other ways.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Carly S-

I'm sorry to hear you thought the front desk staff wasn't helpful... That is very much unlike the team here, but I'm sorry if that was your experience. I will certainly share your comments with them, so they can improve upon the concerns you had.

We hope you decide to give us another chance, the next time you are in town.

Hyatt Deerfield

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel knows how to do it right. Great customer service. Modern, comfortable, lobby area. The room showed some signs of age but nothing out of the ordinary. Prompt room service. Everyone was super helpful and accommodating. The price was great. I will surely stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Ginger2074-

Glad you enjoyed your stay... We look forward to having you back soon! If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed here with a hockey team.
Service at the front desk was spotty,depending on the time of day. I requested 2 wine glasses and was told I needed to call room service, the bar was right beside the desk. There was no staff at the bar or I would of asked there. I am not going to pay room service to deliver 2 empty wine glasses.
The charge for WIFI is outrageous . Every hotel provides free wifi these days.It wasn't even available in the lobby. Lots of unhappy kids unable to use their devices.
The coffee shop closes during the day.
The pool was great.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

northerngal_7-

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

We want our guests to have the best stay possible where every area of the hotel is clean and spacious and all services are on-time and of the highest quality. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here as part of a group attending a local field hockey tournament. I was in Chicago for work a couple of days prior, so I actually stayed here an extra night before most of the field hockey crowd arrived.

The hotel and rooms were clean. The amenities were in line with expectations. It is true that there was some noise in the halls in the late evenings once the field hockey girls arrived, but they generally had curfews, and I am not aware of any issues during the later hours. The price was good, the location was fine, service was good, and the the place was clean. That adds up to a good stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

pick6king-

Thanks for the note; glad you enjoyed the hotel... Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend for a hockey tournament, and the management and so-called security were a joke.

First, they claim that they take care of their customers, yet I had to call the front desk three times to get them to quiet down some of the unruly guests located near my room. The next day I tried to discuss this with the manager, but he did not want to hear it. His excuse was that they were packed with hockey parents and they could do control the noise--what a joke. The manager even went so far as to say that some of the unruly people on the floor were with me, and this was not the case.

He did not even have the decency to be understanding. Clearly, this manager realized that he had me and everyone else in his hand, so he did not need to be helpful.

Never again will I stay here, and I will make sure anyone from my area who visits Chicago knows about this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

christu-

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent experience. I want to personally apologize for the noise that disturbed your stay.

We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry if that was not the case during your stay. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel goes above and beyond to have great service! They make you feel at home from the time you check in, get to know your name at the restaurant and bar, and are always friendly. The hotel and rooms look recently renovated with modern furniture and finishes. Luckily it's a frequent stop for work, it's a great home away from home!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

cptra-

Glad you enjoyed the hotel... We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We got our room at a chapter rate through a third party site but even at their standard rate it would have been fair. We were only here one night but it's a nice place for a long weekend. It was about 45 minutes from downtown Chicago with traffic but we enjoyed being in a suburb type area with a mall nearby.

Our room was nice and we enjoyed that we had a small sitting area that was divided from the bedroom. We had our 9 month old son with us and we were able to set up his pack n play in the living area and feel like we had our own "space". The decor was nice in the room and trendy in the lobby. Wish we had time to try out the bar. Not sure if all the rooms come with a mini fridge but ours did which was nice to keep bottles in. Also enjoyed that the TV could swivel between both rooms.

The hallways were a little dingy and needed some sort of aesthetic fix. The shower and toilet had a separate area with a door that was pretty cramped inside but I enjoyed being able to use the sink without needing to wait. My husband however pointed out that the light switch for the shower was on the outside and anyone could turn it off if they wanted.

Overall though the staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean and comfortable and for the price it really was a great deal. Definitely recommend it.

Stayed: October 2013
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

TheIrishSmile-

We are glad you enjoyed your stay... Hope to see you again soon!

Hyatt Deerfield

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Residence Inn Chicago Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Deerfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook

Been to Hyatt Regency Deerfield? Share your experiences!