“Horrible machinery hum kept me awake”

Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is actually a very attractive hotel, with a beautiful, modern lobby, and appealing guest room layout and decor. However, there is some loud industrial machinery noise that seems to be coming from outside but which is resonating quite loudly though my whole guest room. I stayed awake from 4 am onwards hoping that it might stop, but it never did.
As an unrelated observation, the wait service is just horrible at breakfast. I (thankfully) ate from the breakfast buffet, and was not able to get a cup of coffee until I was about halfway finished eating. Then I asked for creamer, and that came pretty much as I was finished breakfast. If they can't keep up with the simple task of providing coffee, I would be happy with a self-serve coffee station like most of the lower end hotels provide.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

BinRoundDWorld-

I'm sorry a noise kept you up! If you wouldn't mind reaching out to me, so I can figure out which room/wing you stayed in, I'd greatly appreciate it, so we can track down the noise and get it fixed!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This Hyatt is a solid 4. It is clean and well run with a good gym and breakfast. The room was also in good shape and the bathroom updated. The location is a little odd as you have to wind around to get to it off the main street.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

eatingaroundtheworld-

Glad you enjoyed the property... Please visit us again soon!

Hyatt Deerfield

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at Hyatt Deerfield for a one night business trip.

Was pleased with the room size, nearly a junior suite with semi-separate living/office area from the bed area. Was pleased with the welcoming front desk staff.

The room was fairly tired, older decour, older style bath area. Air conditioner fan was directly toward the bed area, had to put a towel in the blower to avoid catching a cold.

The gym is small, not all the bicycles worked. Small free weight area. Definitely not a Westin.

Breakfast was over priced.

Overall, an average stay, average location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MPCLDC

MPCLDC-

Thank you for the feedback and your business... I hope you stay with us again, when you are in the Deerfield area.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on our way back from New York on a tour. The room was very clean as was the rest of the areas of the hotel. It was nice to have a lounge after a long bus ride as a drink was definitely in order. The dinner and breakfast was excellent as was the service. I have no idea what it would of cost us as it was included in the tour package. The morning head waiter, I believe his name was Hank, took care of every need we had during the morning breakfast as did the rest of the staff. I thought the dinner was great but the breakfast far surpassed the dinner. I did notice that there was a charge for everything in the hotel room (water, internet, etc.)l so if you're looking for free you won't find it there. One has to remember it's right outside of Chicago and a corporate hotel therefore one would expect to pay more. Would I stay there again, definitely depending on the price as our room was included in the tour.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

DSchmidt-

Glad you enjoyed the hotel! Thank you for your business... come visit us again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked my stay through Expedia and I read the reviews before booking seems like the biggest complaint was the cost of breakfast and the wi-fi. When I arrived the clerk said I have your King Room ready. When I explained that I had reserved a room with 2 double beds and a pull out sofa he started to argue with me. I showed him my confirmation e-mail he still insisted that is not what I reserved. Not only did I reserve this room I paid for it in full at the time I made the reservation. He told me to call Expedia but my calls to Expedia kept being dropped because of the poor cell phone reception. I asked to speak to a manager and he said he was a manager then I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said that was the General Manager and he was in a meeting, I told him I would wait. This desk clerk was smug and condescending. A 3 hour frustrating, tiring and draining experience ensued. After waiting for 3 hours to see the General Manager I stopped some man walking through the lobby with a Hyatt badge. He said he was an operations manager and within 3 minutes I had the room I reserved and paid for in advance. Why did it take me 3 hours to get the room I had reserved and paid for in advance?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HDKat

HDKat-

Thank you for reviewing the hotel online. I'll speak with my operations manager to see why it would take 3 hours for you to get a room. If you are checking in before published check-in time that could have been the reason, but nonetheless, I'll get to the bottom of it, so that it doesn't happen again in the future.

Hyatt Deerfield

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The rooms are nicely configured with a small partition separating the bed room area from the sitting area. The sitting area had a nice couch and large desk. The bed was very comfortable with nice pillow top mattress. The bathroom was small and in need of a remodel.

The lobby area was very open, nice and clean. The restaurant was very good. The front desk staff and the restaurant staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RondaJS

RondaJS-

Thanks for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate your business and hope you'll return soon to see us!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked my stay through Hotwire...So I guess they are partly to blame for my negative experience at the Hyatt...For starters the hotel is beautifull, and for the price I received both nights for, I guess I cant complain...However I am....There was no free Wifi, and everyone knows u need Wifi...Even the Motel 6 gives it to u for free...So I felt that such an upscale place surely would provide it to their paying guests...Upon entering the room there were 2 "complimentary" bottles of water for 3$ a piece...That was a joke..I started to go down to the Walmart and buy a 24 pack and tell them to dish those out to their guests on me...The breakfast is way overpriced....What happened to Continental...What a joke...As we tried to enjoy our swim there was a lady in the pool with all these contraptions giving swimming lessons...So I was forced to go back to the room and watch one if the 12 channels you offered for free...In conclusion...what a waste if a birthday weekend...At least the bed was soft.... But the Thin comforter was noisy....It sounded like we were boxing in our sleep as we made a sudden move....Never Again will I stay at the HYATT....

• Stayed: September 2013
101610A, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

mommyoftwins3-

I'm sorry you were disappointed... As you may know, most full service hotels charge for these amenities. We do offer packages which include the said amenities, but you cannot get those on hotwire.

Adam Patenaude

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
The Westin Chicago North Shore
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook

Been to Hyatt Regency Deerfield? Share your experiences!