“Happy! Sad! Angry! Happy! Disappointed!”

Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Happy! Sad! Angry! Happy! Disappointed!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My spouse and I have stayed here several times, and it is our mini vacation spot as we go to the botanic gardens a couple times a year.

We love it because its a mini tropical oasis with Koi fish, and it feels vacationy even though we are an hour away! We love the breakfast! It's our little getaway!

Most recent visit was good/not so good.

1. The planned remodeling.
There's enough business penguin hotels in this area already. Now it's going to become more businessy, and they're getting rid of the fish.

2. The room service, dollar for dollar was the worst money I ever spent.
We ordered at a Sunday at 6:30, a grilled cheese, Cobb salad, and chicken wings.
Hoping to eat during the Simpsons.. Then hoping to eat during Bobs burgers, then hoping to eat during family guy. As the credits were rolling on family guy, we got our cold grilled cheese... Needed to be microwaved, the hot Cobb salad, with warm dressing, and the weirdest chicken wings I ever saw. All for only $58. The girl who dropped it off was very nice.

3. The pool and hot tub, were great as usual! No complaints.

4. Comfortable, clean rooms. Stomach issues from weird meal.
5. Yay redemption breakfast!!

How can bacon have no flavor!!??!
It's bacon! It literally had no flavor, and the pieces were as big as a fingernail. (To be fair my spouse thought the bacon was ok)
The scrambled eggs were ice cold, I could have put them in my coffee to cool it off!
French toast was good! Bagels were good and thick.

We truly love this hotel for the most part, but were a little disappointed overall. We don't want our little tropical Chicago to go away, but the briefcase model I guess will appeal to the loosen the tie, have a whiskey on the rocks as mergers and hedge funds make my $179 dollars on weeknights seem like a bargain.

Don't kill the koi! We love them! Especially the black lurker..

• Stayed October 2012
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear TheFBH -

First things first, the Koi will be very well taken care of and we have a home that will be even better than what they have enjoyed over the past several years. You may not know but Koi can live to be over 200 years old.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to report that I have gotten to the bottom of the challenge with room service and will be reach out to you to provide resolution. I was glad to hear that apart from the delayed room service you enjoyed your visit.

Please do visit again and please let me know if I may assist in any other way.

Brad Harvey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our recent travel this weekend was for a conference and we wanted to stay an extra day in Chicago. Went to the north shore to look at parks and marinas on Sheridan drive, hotwired a hotel and got this property just off of 294. Easy off and easy on, but went to check in and was reminded that hotwire doesn't guarantee the type of room you want, so we got a smoking room when we checked in. I appreciate smokers as trying to kick the habit, but there was no way that we could stay in a smoking room....so we asked at the desk to be switched, and they did so without complaint or issue. That was a service plus for me, as they equally could have told me to lump it or leave it....but they didn't. The hotel was really easy to get around from, train only a few blocks if you want to take it downtown, the Edens and the Tri- state only a stones throw. Tried the resturant, the bar, the managers get together and the breakfast in the am....all were very very nice. If you can get a good rate, the hotel staff here want to take care of you and want you to come back....and we will be back.

Room Tip: opposite corner from the desk, on the second floor nets you a easy stair walk to the main floor, min...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BGould1001 -

Thank you for the very kind words regarding how the front desk team handled the situation with your reservation. We sincerely beleive that we always need to do our best to "take care of the guest." It seems like a simple phrase but when the associates think of it in all situations it can really make a difference in the guest's experience.

I am very glad that you joined us and my hope is that you will visit again soon. Please feel free to contact me if there is any way that I may assist in the future.

Genereal Manager
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The level of service at this property is unacceptable, particularly compared to the outstanding stays we have experienced recently at Embassy Suites Phoenix - North. Details:

1.) Not greeted as a Diamond Level honors member or thanked for my business at check-in.

2.) Electronic door lock on our room (201) only works sporadically. We are on our third set of key cards with no improvement. No offer to actually repair the &%*#**^(&ing thing has been made.

3.) At breakfast this morning:

a.) Omelets were pathetic. The "cook" is using rings on the griddle, not omelet pans, and the "egg" mix is so thin and runny that the resulting product is also thin. Lack of true omelet capability resulted in folded scrambled eggs with fillings spilling out on the plate when served. The quantity of ham the cook put in the omelet was insufficient to even taste it, especially since the ham used was minced into 1/8" cubes.

b.) There was no silverware available at the buffet line for at least five minutes. No support for the one guy serving the line was in evidence. (I use the term buffet loosely, as this guy was rationing the food - no self-service here!)

c.) The coffee urns were both empty, and people had been tilting them to get the dregs out for over five minutes. When I finally spotted an employee in a gray jacket, he acted as if I were being unreasonable in bothering him with the problem. Hew said "I'll makes some more." Point is, no monitoring of the situation probably resulting in at least another ten minutes with no coffee.

All in all, a performance at a level consistent with the general ethos in Chicago: "Service? We don't need no stinking service. We can fill up the place without it!"

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David G
Dear David G,

Thank you for staying with us and for letting me know about the challenges. I was so glad that I was able to speak with you after the disapointing start to your stay and my hope is that the remainder of your visit was much more enjoyable.

I have taken to heart your comments and what you experienced should not have occurred and for that I sincerely apologize.

Please let me know if I may assist in any way either now or in the future.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Visited Monday, October 8th and found the room and hotel to be in good shape. The pool and hot tub were also in good condition. I also had the best pancakes so far this year! The evening reception and breakfast were typical Embassy Suites style with happy employees! Great job!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Gbtraveler2 -

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words regarding the "happy employees." I was also pleased to hear that the pancakes were the best you have enjoyed all year. I will pass this on the breakfast team.

My hope is that you will return and thank you again for your feedback. It makes a difference when the team gets this kind of positive feedback.

chicago
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel advertises a free, cooked to order breakfast. However, on Saturdays and Sundays, it was not available until our entire group had to leave for work. They begin breakfast at 7:30. Anyone having to be at work by 8am will not get breakfast. The manager doesn't seem to care. We spent a lot of money booking 3 rooms for two different stays (total of 15 nights) in this hotel because of the "supposed" complimentary breakfast, but we were unable to enjoy it due to their policy of not beginning breakfast on the weekends until 7:30...which is conveniently not published on their website. This is money I could have spent at another hotel and wish I would have.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank steven g
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Steven G,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Deerfield. I sincerely apologize for the different hours on the weekend for breakfast. It is true that most of the guests on Saturday and Sunday do sleep in and come down after 9 in the morning.

I will review the hours and speak with the staff to find out if this is a common occurence and consider revising the time for the future. I do understand that this does not resolve your situation and please let me know what I can do to resolve your concerns.

Orange County, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Overall we found the hotel to be excellent...except that we did not sleep either of the two nights we stayed there. I look forward to finally sleeping at home tonight, I am exhausted. The mattress had a giant dip in the middle. It was more comfortable to try to sleep on it sideways. I also tried wedging a pillow behind me to keep me from rolling to the middle.

Otherwise the hotel is great. Clean, great breakfast, plenty of hot water, lots of parking, fast elevators, great atrium in the middle. It was awesome to find cold water bottles waiting for us in the fridge. Coffee in the room was good. Did not try the pool as we spent all our time keeping busy with the Navy bootcamp graduation.

It looked like they have renovation plans, I hope that includes mattresses.

Room Tip: Maybe ask about mattress age?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lars22,

Thank you for the very positive comments regarding the hotel and the services, cleanliness, breakfast and atrium. It is very encouraging to hear these words of praise. I do however apologize for the less than comfortable sleep experience and I would love to hear from you to find out what room number you stayed so that it can be addressed right away.

Please contact me at the hotel on my direct line 847-945-4532.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently had the opportunity to stay here on Saturday night. Check-in was quick and the room was fine. The hotel is undergoing improvements, so be sure you ask for a renovated room. If you plan to sit on the couch in the room, don't expect much comfort. It is very rigid and makes a 'gasping' noise when you get up from it. However it is a sleeper so one should not be too critical. The breakfast was nice, but the donuts have much to be desired. These must be pre-frozen and thawed ones as they were rather hard and more like 'dunkers' instead of bakery fresh. However I don't stay at Embassy's for the donuts though!

Overall, satisfied our needs and provided me with something to talk about here!

P.S. No acknowledgement as a valued HH Diamond member.

Room Tip: As for a renovated room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear JetsForFunJourneys -

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback regarding your visit. I was pleased to see that you were satisfied with most aspects of your visit and also for items noted that we should address.

I was disapointed that we did not acknowledge your Hilton Diamond Status and would like to determine the root cause and make certain it is addressed with our team. We strive to provide a memorable and enjoyable stay and our goal is that each guest is personally recognized.

My hope is that you will visit us again and please let me know if I may assist you in any way either now or in the future.

Brad Harvey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
The Westin Chicago North Shore
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire

Been to Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield? Share your experiences!