“Quite satisfied!”

Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Front desk staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful & ready to accomodate our requests. Hotel lobby area, elevators etc all appeared to be clean & in order. The room was very clean, even the tile grout looked like it is regularly scrubbed. Toilet paper wasn't the softest, but we bought our own anyway. The beds were more than comfy, my husband thought they were better than our bed at home, lots of pillows & soft sheets. AC worked marvellously as it was hot during our stay & our two boys (11 & 12) slept comfortably on the roll out sofa bed. Food served at breakfast was better than average, although the scrambled eggs tasted a bit funny, there was fresh pancakes available & omelettes made to order. Coffee was good & there was good selection of fruit, bagels, donuts, muffins etc. for those who would want to grab something & run. Pool was quite small for hotel that size, but that was a small inconvenience considering all the positives. We'd stay again if we needed to be in Deerfield & recommend this hotel highly. If you do plan to spend all your time in Chicago downtown, it's about a 35-45 minute drive depending on time of day so be prepared for that.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Fosson,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent visit. I sincerely appreciate the positive feedback regarding your housekeeping team. They work very hard and it is nice to see when they are recognized.

I also thank you for the detail in your review to assist other readers about the hotel.

My hope is that you will return and please let me know if I may assist you in any way.

Brad Harvey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a neat place. The lobby is beautiful with the Koi fish. Glad there were 3 elevators so everything moved fast. I enjoyed the free drinks daily 530 to 730. Also enjoyed the free breakfast which included custom made omelets. The rooms were very spacious, but needed some work. There was only one basket in the whole room which was in the bathroom. The front desk said they would bring another, but it never made it. The room could have used a better cleaning with the cob webs on the ceiling. Also the pool was nice, but on the smaller side. I should have expected the price for washer detergent plus box of 2 fabric softener sheets would cost almost $5. I would like to try a different Embassy Suite to see how they compare.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear John37Family,

Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your visit. Thank you for the positive comments and also for bringing to my attention the areas for improvement. I have shared your response with the team at the hotel so that we can continue to improve.

I am pleased to let you know that we will be undergoing a 7.2 million dollar renovation to breath new life into the property.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way in he future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My stay at Embassy Suites in Deerfield, IL was Sept.3rd, 2012. This was my second stay in a year. The hotel itself is beautiful, the rooms are very nice, very clean, and the amenities are relaxing and convenient, all for a very good price.

HOWEVER. One of the main attractions for me when I go to a hotel (it's actually one of my pastimes) is swimming in a nice pool, both at night and morning of my stay. Last year, my first stay, I swam in the pool and was disgusted by dirt and clumps of hair in the pool. When I made the reservation for this stay I mentioned this and was told the hotel was under new management and everything was much cleaner. Both in the evening and the morning of my stay this time there was the same problem. Filthy floor, clumps of hair in the pool. I mentioned something in the evening after I swam, they said they would clean it in the morning, a million apologies, etc. They open the pool at 6am. At 9am, me already running late, the pool still had hair, and the floor around the pool was still filthy. I complained to the manager, he said he could have it cleaned in an hour. Checkout is 11am. I'm like, are you kidding me? I need to leave! I stood there as they cleaned the pool 10 minutes later. Now every time I think of that pool, I see hair. Gross. I was offered no discount, for that stay nor any other. It's a shame, because in every other way I really like this hotel. So, if you need to stay in the Deerfield area for a reasonable price and don't plan to swim, I highly recommend this hotel. As for me, I probably won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Daniella E,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Deerfield. I was pleased to hear your compliments about the positive aspects of the property, the staff, the clean suites and good value. I was however disapointed that we did not meet your expectation in our pool area.

I have addressed the sitatuation with our team to make certain we do not have a repeat situation and I thank you for your feedback.

I would like to apologize in person and please contact me at the hotel at 847-945-4532.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Nice clean hotel with the standard enclosed courtyard surrounded by hotel rooms facing the interior. Nice pool and hot tub area with several conference rooms. Hotel offered complimentary breakfast with a chef making ommelettes upon request. Breakfast fare was typical of most restaurants.

We also had catered food for a group event. The cost was actually quite high for basic group meals (pizza, pasta, salad, soup). The initial quote did not include tax or cleanup fee. Staff would negotiate the catering fee off of their standard rate of $250 depending upon the size of the group but you must request this. Staff would not change volume of music, change channels on TV, or give To Go boxes for leftover food. The reason had to do with liability or so they claimed but we felt cheated as there was quite a bit of left over food. This just seemed quite silly.

Hotel rooms were clean and neat and recently updated. Staff was pleasant and quickly responded to requests.

Hotel is on the NW side of Chicago; not too far to make a day trip downtown, but distant from most major attractions. Residential areas and businesses nearby and hotel was difficult to locate as it was offset from major roads with poor signage. Even with a GPS hotel was tough to find and almost hidden behind an office building.

I would stay here again but definitely pass on having catered food for a group event.

Room Tip: Happy hour with free drinks from 5 to 7:30 PM. One drink per person but no limit on trips to the ba...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank m w

Dear M W,

Thank you for staying with us for the occasion of the regional soccer tournament. It was very nice to have the families here with the teams.

Thank you for the compliments regarding the property and also for bringing to my attention the situation with the TV's. I understand that we had many Michigan fans at the hotel and also a contingency of White Sox fans wishing to watch thier games and we could have used a couple more TV's. I have communicated your feedback with the team to help them handle the volume level as well as TV selection better in the future.

My hope is that you return and please let me know if there is anything I may do in the future to assist you.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night in room 232. We arrived at 5:45pm and check in took approximately 4 minutes - very quick. First, note this hotel is on track for major renovation, although it isn't that bad at the present time, when renovations are complete it will be a fantastic place to stay.

The elevators are to the left of the check in desk. There are three elevators. The courtyard and restaurant are down five stairs to a plant filled area behind the elevator. There is a pleasant creek running through the courtyard area. The managers reception and breakfast are up five stairs on the other side of the small courtyard and entrance to the pool and exercise facilities are in this corner also.

Our room was very clean and had a nice smell. Upon entering the door we found a chest of drawers (4 drawers) with a flat screen TV on top, to the right of the door was a chair, table with lamp, and queen size sofa. In this room was a bar/sink area with a coffeemaker, fridge, etc. This was located in a small hallway with a door at the end.

Going through the door you enter the bedroom area with two double size beds on the left of the room. Specific note here: beds were clean and the comforter was covered by clean sheets. The bed had a bottom fitted sheet, a flat sheet, then the comforter, and then another flat sheet. Very clean!!! I like hotels that practice this type of bed making policy as I always wonder how often those bedspreads are washed. On the left side of the room as you enter is the bathroom which meticulously clean. Along the right wall of the bedroom was another sink area with a nice counter, an 8 drawer long chest with another flat screen TV on top, and a chair in the far corner.

The swimming pool was a little small, but the surrounding area to the pool was very nice. There were numerous trees and plants just outside the pool area and you could enter this deck and patio from the pool area. There were several lounge chairs both outside and inside. There was also a nice hot tub in this area. It was definitely a plus that there were actual beach towels in the pool area, not those small towels that barely cover your body!!

Breakfast was very good and although the choices were not as much as many other Embassy Suites hotels. A small minor item I did not like was the fact they insisted on serving everything except beverages. Although the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, cereal, etc. were set up buffet style, there were multiple people behind each table serving the food. It made me wonder if they were trying to monitor food intake of the guests?? It certainly prevented one from overeating! Two pieces of bacon per person, two pancakes, etc.

The hotel was fairly full while were were there, but we did not hear any noise during the night. The climate controls worked perfect and the beds were very comfortable.

Only other minor items besides the food patrol at the buffet was the coffee in the lobby was empty on three separate occasions. We requested extra towels in the room which were not there, but that was easily remedied with a call to housekeeping. The person who brought us the towels was very quick and gracious. The final minor item was after checkout I was overcharged for my room, but after conversing with the hotel the monies were refunded.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MinnesotaM-GreenBay
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Dear MinnesotaM-Greenbay,

Thank you for staying with us and for the great feedback regarding your visit. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on the positive feedback regrarding the room and other services to our team. I am also glad that we were able to resolve the billing concern and I apologize for the inconvenience.

My hope is that you will visit us again in the future and please let me know if there is anything that I may do for you or your family next time you visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My stay was wonderful and they made me feel like I was at home. The front desk people remembered me and always greeted me. On my friends birthday who also was at the hotel also they all sang her Happy Birthday, meant so much to her being away from home.
The food in Caldwell's was excellent the ribs are the best ever, and the desserts were all like homemade. I can'y say enough but a large THANK YOU......I will be back and I will refer you to anyone heading to Chicago, like home away from home.

Room Tip: I had a corner room and loved it although I did move once to a room in the middle and loved it also...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Julie V,

Thank you for the great comments regarding your visit. I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations. I will pass on to the team your comments regarding them serenading your friend for the birthday celebration. I love it when the team makes the stay personal!

My hope is that you will return and please let me know if I may assist in any way.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The sales management was most cooperative during the many months of planning for our military reunion. No request was un-attainable, they agreed to our every desire. The suites were luxurious, breakfast with omlet chef catered to any possible diet, and the free coctail hour, or should I say two hour was beyond expectations. The banquet manager was most cooperative, attending to our every request, I can't see how any other hotel could exceed the service of the Embassy Suites Hotel in Deerfield, IL..

Room Tip: All rooms are suites with windows on the outside and bay windows on the inside facing a 7 story trop...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Al D,

Thank you for staying at the hotel and if I remember correctly I beleive this was for a Navy Reunion. First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

I will let the team know about our positive experience and my hope is that you will return.

Brad Harvey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
4 mi away
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook

Been to Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield? Share your experiences!