“Great service, good size room, good ammenities”

Ramada Limited Decatur
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We have family in the area and visit a few times a year and this is our first experience with Ramada. I was pleasantly suprised when we checked in to see that our room was very large for the discounted price we paid. This hotel is by no means fancy, but it is clean and comfortable. The bathroom could have used a little updating...but again, it was clean and that was the important part. I found the WiFi easy to use and the signal to be high.

The pool was clean as was the jacuzzi. The workout room was an elliptical machine and a treadmill, but better than nothing.

The front desk staff were all VERY friendly and more than accomodating. I needed to make copies and couldn't find an open copy place on Labor day weekend so they allowed me to make 24 copies for free!

The breakfast was good. The donuts/muffins were a little old but there was toast, oatmeal, cereal, milk, juice and you could choose fruit and make fresh waffles so that was good enough for me.

When we had to check out a day early we did not get charged for the last night and that is the defining factor in staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ramada Limited Decatur

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I'm from Tennessee but my husband has family in the Lovington-Arthur-Decatur area. We stayed in the Ramada Limited for labor day weekend. The hotel was clean with a decent breakfast. You could make your own waffles! The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had a ncurved shower bar for a roomier shower. A few complaints: pool water that was a little smelly, a blanket that was so full of tears that it should have been garbage, and no AC in my in-law's hotel room. However, the staff was pleasant...my father-in-law is very demanding but they handled him with grace.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I spent one night at the Ramada Limited Decatur on a drive east. After spending the day in Springfield, Decatur was an easy drive to cover a little extra distance. I chose the Ramada based on the room rate I found online and the generally good reviews here at Tripadvisor and some other online sites. I pre-paid a non-refundable rate of about $67/night including taxes for a room with two queen beds. (I don't like non-refundable rates despite the savings, but I was 99 percent sure I was going to make the trip.)

We arrived at the hotel around 4 p.m. As We pulled into the parking lot, we saw that the outside of the building was undergoing a facelift. Trim and details were being replaced, and fresh paint was being applied. In one way I like seeing this because it tells me the owner is putting some effort into maintaining the facility. When we walked in the door, we saw that the remodeling was also being applied inside. Again, this is a good sign, but I had no warning of this work being done when I booked. With a non-refundable rate, I could have been stuck.

Check in was fast. I was asked if I would rather have a room with a single king bed, which was fine for my wife and me. I was told that there were more king bed rooms available during the remodeling. We were given our room cards, and on we went.

This room looked like it could be comfortable, but the remodeling had already begun inside. The baseboard trim was missing. Several outlet covers were missing. There was also something on the carpet near the door. It looked like heavy drywall dust, but it was not loose. We turned around and went back to the desk. The clerk listened to our reasons for wanting another room, and she got into the system to find something else. We were given new cards to a new room.

The second room was intact and clean, except for the smell of cigarette smoke. This was a non-smoking room, too. Despite this, there was an ashtray on the vanity. The clerk called the room within minutes of our entering the room to ask if the second room would be acceptable. I told her of the smoke smell. She offered two options: air freshener or yet another room. We were ready for dinner, so we said that we would try the air freshener when we returned. At the time, the smoke smell did not seem too bad.

After dinner, the smoke smell hit us hard when we entered the room. My wife went to the desk for the air freshener, and the clerk instead gave her cards for yet a third room. We went to the third room and it was just right. (The first room was too messy, the second room was too smoky, but the third room was just right.) We moved rooms for the third and final time.

After settling in the room, I went to get something from the car. I stopped at the desk to tell the clerk (her name is Chelsey, by the way -- and she is very helpful) that the third room was just fine. She apologized for all the trouble and thanked me for my patience. She admitted that the first room should not have been listed as available (the spot on the carpet was paint overspray), and the second room obviously had a problem that should have been flagged by housekeeping.

The room itself is a comfortable size. There is a refrigerator and microwave in each room. I did not use any Internet access. Breakfast is served each morning. It's basic (cereal, breads, waffles, juice, yogurt, some fruit), but the items were well stocked and the serving area was clean.

There is a shopping mall across the street, and there are lots of restaurants. They are all chains, so don't plan on finding something uniquely local. The hotel itself is on a road that parallels the main strip, and it is somewhat tucked away, although my GPS had no problem getting me there.

This is a budget hotel, and when the remodeling is complete (slated for mid-June 2009), it will be a fine facility, assuming the room rates are not increased. At that time I would give this hotel a second chance. (CS)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Unexpectedly had to stay over in the Decator area when the weather turned bad one night. Had been staying at the nearby Country Inn and Suites, but they were booked up for walkins. I was happy to get a room at the Ramada, but found worn/torn carpet in the hallways and the room, the elevator was making noises, and the rooms were dated. I would recomend the Country Inn and Suites over this hotel anytime, it is just a stones throw away from this one.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed October 31, 2007

We stayed the weekend of Oct 27 2007. The place was spotless, check-in staff helpful and the room (two queen beds) very nice. Paid $69 w/taxes per night. I would definitely stay hear again if in the area. Complimentary breakfast (continental) was just fine.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2007

My family all went to Decatur for a reunion. The hotel was nice enough. The staff was helpful and the breakfast was good. The pool and jacuzzi were all in good working order. It's not fancy, but clean and a good price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2007

I stayed here for three nights and was very impressed. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was clean, the hotel is located near plenty of eating and shopping choices and the free breakfast was actually worth eating.
The only negative is that the light in the bathroom in my room was very dim and the fan was incredibly loud.
Other than that, I had no problems whatsoever. I would definitely stay at the Ramada Limited again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo