“Save your money, sleep on a park bench.”

Econo Lodge Decatur
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Decatur
Econo Lodge Decatur
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Had a horrible experience. Property looks old, rooms are old with old furniture, and place smells. Wanted to watch the cowboys vs giants game on nbc and low and behold, they dont have any local channels. I mean no FOX, NBC, CBS, or ABC. Had to go to a bar to watch the game, came back to the room and crashed, woke up about 11:30pm with about 5 bed bug bites, I even killed 2 of them. Went to front desk to tell clerk, and he didnt believe me so I had him follow me to the room to see the slain carcass of the two bedbugs. He finally gave me another room and I got some sleep. I have stayed at many Econolodges, this has to be the worst I have ever seen. This place is horrible, listen to the reviews and just avoid it.

Room Tip: Just stay away
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank danboinwaco

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place is an utter dump. The hotel clerk told me I was staying in a room that had a bunch of fly's in it because the previous person left the window open. I thought it was a poor attempt at humor. She was actually telling the truth. The room smelled like wet dirty socks. The furniture was worn or broken. The walls were stained and had pieces of the drywall missing. There was no chair for the desk. Cobwebs on the ceiling. Toilet was cracked and dirty with pubic hair. This is a filthy and disgusting place.
There are people and children roaming the halls and lobby constantly. I think some of these people live here?

There is one gentleman who seems to work here, no uniform. He is polite and is willing to help in whatever way he can. Maybe he should own the hotel because I don't think the Indian owners seem to give a crap.
I would think twice before staying here. I intend to call Econolodge Corporate and leave a complaint.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, plain and simple.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MrColliNmidwest
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Total nightmare from beginning to end. The front desk purposely over charged us for the room. In total we we're shown three rooms that were pitiful in cleanliness standards. The first room had a filthy bathroom with used soap wrappers on the sink. The sketchy looking male on duty insisted he had a better room. There was a clogged sink, filthy tub and and dirty corroded microwave. We asked for a refund but the presumed manager swore he had a room that would fit our standards and we agreed since it had been a long day and my seven year old was growing restless. The third room looked fine so I washed my daughter up. Shortly after my sister found a spider in the sheets she pulled the linen back to find blood on the mattress pad. The manager refused to refund our money since I had already used the bathroom to wash up my daughter. It wasn't until I began to get irate and we threatened to call the police that they gave us our money back. HORRIBLE SERVICE AND GIVES A BAD NAME TO HOTELS. AND YES IT DOES COME ACROSS AS A HOMELESS SHELTER WITH ALL THE ALLOWED LOITERING. STAY AWAY.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank SHORTSTACK86
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It's hard to know where I should begin but let me start by saying that I have stayed at this motel at least once a year for a week at a time the last 3 years and between last year and now it seems to have entered into a viral downhill spiral!

One of the most unsettling points being the number of sketchy people hanging around in the lobby, halls and outdoors most of the time giving it the appearance of a homeless shelter. It also appears most of the staff live on premise along with their families. When I arrived back last night there were two ambulances in the drive way, surprisingly enough they were not taking someone away, they were bringing someone in? Really?

The lobby and breakfast area is clean enough but the halls and rooms have seriously deteriorated. Cob webs hanging from the ceiling, sheets that do not fit, scuffed up walls, holes and chips in the paint. The carpeting, even though appearing somewhat clean is filthy. Table tops smeared in a failed attempt at cleaning, There is one male housekeeper who is very friendly and seems to care about his job; however, it would take more than his dedication to save this place. There is also a young lady who works the front desk at night who is also very nice; however, the other staff seem skeptical and a bit standoff-ish when it comes to guest interaction.

On several nights there was an overwhelming smell of weed through the halls and other unusual smells of which I can only imagine.

The breakfast, which seems to be typical Econolodge, is OK. Cheap, out of the box pastries, cheap juices and cereal. The waffle machine is a nice touch though.

The location is good as it is in the midtown area making it convenient to navigate to and from but that is one of the only redeeming qualities.

I can understand why people would choose this hotel (sight unseen) due to the low price when compared with other area hotels (which by the way are extremely overpriced). Even when you enter the hotel it might seem OK but that's where it ends.

Even though savvy travelers know that when you choose Econolodge it is a roll of the dice I strongly believe this motel is well under their standards and that of Choice Hotels and it will be (or should be) a short time before their franchise is revoked. I gave it a Terrible rating for value as even at the low price they offer it is basically less than acceptable.

It will be the last time I stay at this motel and will happily pay the additional $40-$50 per night for a Forsyth area motel.

Room Tip: I believe there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David M
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The five stars are based primarily on value- by no means do I think this is a 5-Star rated hotel and I'm not lining up to spend my honeymoon here.

A regular room was $50 including tax. Compared to other places I have stayed for this cheap, and also what I would expect from a $50 hotel room, I was quite pleased and would stay there again. Also, no one comes to Decatur, IL for their lavish spas an resorts. If you're going here, you likely only need a place to sleep.

For $50, this is what we got:
A king size bed. And it was surprisingly comfortable. And the pillows were the proper level of fluff, also comfortable. If I want one thing out of a hotel, whether it is $50 or $500, I want a nice mattress. Check.

A tv with enough channels. That's right, we got the Food Network, TLC, and Nickelodeon. What more can you ask for?!? Normally at hotels I'm stuck watching local news that's useless to me- since I'm not local, or some movie I don't care about on the HBO Hotel Channel. What I wouldn't do for Discovery and Food Network to be at every hotel in the country!!!

A mini fridge and microwave. Yes! Not that we needed these, but, nice touch.

Free Wi-Fi. In case Food Network is on reruns.

Continental Breakfast- this was way better than expected- waffle maker and everything! Not just your average dried up bagels and cranberry juice from concentrate. Well done, Econolodge.

Finally, the girl at the front desk was extremely helpful. We stopped in early on the off chance that they would let us check in ahead of time (no demands, it would just be a convenience for us) and she got us in quickly and easily.

I figure that anywhere else you stay, you're going to pay $8 for wi-fi, $20 for two people to eat breakfast somewhere, if you leave a tip, and you'll have no fridge in which to put your leftovers. And you're still taking your chances on a comfortable bed. This room pretty much pays for itself.

The only thing is the soap, etc in the bathroom isn't the best quality. But nothing a $2 bottle of Suave 2-in-1 can't remedy. And who doesn't bring their own shampoo anyway.

Bottom line is, when you add up all that you are getting, consider the comfortable, king sized bed, this is worth the $50, and I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I can review this hotel as far the lobby. Booked a reservation five days in advance through the ChoiceHotels "club" which I joined to get good rates for a future trip to Washington. For a quick trip to Decatur, I thought I'd go ahead and reserve through Choicehotels. Now I know this is an inexpensive place. I don't mind getting what I pay for. A clean bed, comfortable temp, and clean bathroom are all I expect at this price. We arrived (2 kids, 2 adults, and small dog, previously arranged) for our non-smoking double queen room. When we got out of the car, a loose dog comes running out barking aggressively, followed some minutes later by his yelling owner. At the counter, we see a "clerk out temporarily" sign. A housekeeper comes behind the counter, answers the phone, then sees to us. She did not have a room for us--all booked up for double non-smoking she says. The clerk had a burst appendix she said, the manager was out of town in Champaign, and she was the only staff around. This is a Saturday night around 6 pm. She has no explanation for the room. We ask what she has, which is single rooms and a king room. We say the only thing to make this right is two singles for our double room price. She calls her out of town manager, who only offers the singles at their regular individual price or a king with only one rollaway. That's it. Choice Hotels literature is all over the counter. We left and found a very nice nonsmoking double that accepted our dog at a Baymont for $4 more than our original "bargain" econolodge price. The Econolodge was very unattractive on the outside with no landscaping, loose dogs, a worn exterior with shabby looking window air conditioners, , promising less than nice individual rooms. The fact that one housekeeper was the only staff on site on a Saturday night in the middle of town seems downright dangerous. That the out of town manager would make no concessions is inexcusable. That "ChoiceHotels" literature is all over this Econolodge's counter does not say much for its standards for hotels in its membership. Do not stay in this dump. Less than five miles north on 51 is a huge group of chain motels, who have to compete and have much higher standards for not much if any more money.

Room Tip: Don't. If you have no other options, confirm your room before you show up.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in August 2011 and I had no problems. I had a No Smoking room and I smelled absolutely no smoke or incense so I have no idea what the other reviewers are talking about. Frankly, I spend many nights in motels and I really don't see how a reviewer could honestly give this motel just a one star rating based on my experience. The rooms have wi-fi, a microwave and a mini-frig so this is very convenient.There is a Kroger grocery store just across the street in case you need grocery items and a McDonalds, Wendy's and Papa Johns Pizza all within walking distance.Yes the motel is an older model, but that is why the rate is about $20 less per night with tax than other motels. Considering the rate is only $50 per night(Aug2011) I really don't know what more anyone could expect.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo