“Good clean, convenient stay for the right price”

Welcome Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed overnight, ate breakfast, and my children used the pool. The hotel is convenient to shopping (across the street from the shopping mall), the city of Decatur, and the highway (right off of 72). The room was clean and nicely furnished, there were a variety of breakfast items to choose from, and the pool was small but perfect for children enjoying a swim. There are at least a dozen restaurants (eat-in or fast food) within a mile of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank glomper

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Breakfast was gross! Overcooked burnt dried out. Coffee was weak and flavorless. My room was not cleaned well every day.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank aw_kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I have stayed here several times since it opened in 2002, and must say that it is better than the many other chain hotels (all budget-type) that are nearby. At my May 2007 stay, I found the lobby and decent-sized room well-maintained; a/c working well and not bad on the noise side. The bathroom is definitely nicer than the usual Hampton/Fairfield/Country Inn standard. The breakfast offerings were pretty good as these places go. The Wingate simply is a budget hotel, still rather new, that has been well-maintained.

On the cleanliness side, while my wife is rather picky on such matters, we have always found the hotel to be fine.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank FairBalanced
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I was very disappointed in this hotel during my stay. I've stayed at many Wingate Hotels from Illinois to Florida and this hotel may have been the one that will keep me from staying in another one. My hotel room was extremely dirty, the front desk clerk was extremely rude upon check in. To mention a few problems, the bathroom was filthy, rust like spots on the door casing, floor and the tub was pulling away from the wall at the corner. The floor had someone's hair on it and looked as though it hadn't been scrubbed in a very long time. The sheets on the bed were not that crisp, clean look I'm use too in a hotel. I don't mind paying $89.00 for a room but do expect cleanliness. This hotel is rated as a 3 star on the internet but if it's 2 star, I would be surprised. I would not stay at this site again or recommend it....Room 119 needs to be cleaned by someone that knows what cleaning a room consists of. The clerk that worked at 3:00 p.m. on April 2, 2007 needs a lesson in "how to treat a customer".

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank ILgrammy
Reviewed August 21, 2006

One night stay.

room was clean and comfortable.

Hotel staff friendly.

Good location: Shopping Mall, Chedder's, Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's and several other places to eat nearby.

Decent price for room

A little hard to find if not familiar with area.

Our room overlooked a corn field. If you are not from the midwest you'll love that view.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Wynner7
Reviewed August 7, 2006

First off, you don't have much to choose from in Decatur for hotels. There are no 3 star hotels here so you're options are all the standard 2 star next to the highway types. I figured the Wingate was my best bet. I'm here on business. It's not really a new Wingate which I think might be the biggest problem. The bathroom tub was really gross (brown mildew in the cracks all over) and the room was blah and outdated. Ugly "bed spread" and there's no central air. It's the cheapy one by the window that makes the room very musty. My particular room smelled like stale old smoke although it was a non-smoking room.

It's a cheap rate so don't expect much....I just don't think they have good cleaning service here.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank mustangcynth
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I simply wanted to thank the staff for thier assistance during my recent stay. I stayed Aug. 5-8, 2005. Apparently their was a problem when I booked and the reservation was cancelled, either by me or someone at the Hotel.
Because this was the weekend of the Decatur Celebration, rooms were at a premium.
Thank you Tequlia(yes that's her name) for making this the best Celebration visit ever.

6  Thank Marie752
Travelers also viewed these Decatur hotels
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#7 of 14 in Decatur
Hampton Inn Decatur Mt Zion

Been to Welcome Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Welcome Hotel and Suites

Address: 5170 N Wingate Dr, Decatur, IL 62526-9709 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Decatur)
Location: United States > Illinois > Decatur
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Price Range: $74 - $80 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Welcome Hotel and Suites 2.5*
The Welcome Hotel and Suites is located in a suburban area with shopping, dining and movie theaters within a half mile of the property. We are conveniently located right off Highway 51 and US Interstate 72. We offer a hot buffet breakfast, a light dinner from 5-7pm Monday-Thursday, Indoor Pool,Fitness Center, Microwaves and Refrigerators in every room, as well as free Wi-Fi. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Welcome Hotel and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Decatur