“Try to stay here whenever I am in area. Nice place”

Welcome Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years while visiting family in the area. Although their name has changed 3 times I think over the years, still a nice place and good staff. Nice warm indoor pool and I love their hot tub. Located across highway from Hickory Point Mall but far enough back off road, no noise. Decent hot breakfast with numerous choices. Will definitely be back when there. Easy on off from Intersate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us when you are in the Decatur area and for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay. I appreciate the positive feedback and will make sure that it is passed on to my staff.

There are newer reviews for Welcome Hotel and Suites

Reviewed November 30, 2012

NOW called Welcome Hotel & Suites. Stayed here for 2 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. Entry was decorated nicely, but there was litter on the floor (paper). Elevator also had litter on the floor. Room was mostly clean, but carpet in front of bathroom had two huge bleached stains. There was a dead spider under the counter in the bathroom. The window in our room whistled when the wind blew. We were only there to sleep, so the room served that purpose, at least the king size bed was clean and comfortable. We went down to breakfast around 7:30 a.m. Breakfast was horrible, could have used some serious help! Orange juice was so watered down it tasted like orange colored water. Both of my husband's cartons of milk were spoiled, and when he talked to the front desk, they were very disinterested. We also watched two middle school aged kids handle every cookie in the basket at the snack counter, tossing them back in the basket, while the person at the front desk did nothing. We walked thru to check breakfast the next morning, to see if the day before was just a fluck, but the milk in the fridge was spoiled as well, the pancake machine was out of order, and the rest of the selections were minimal (not that we ate breakfast there). We booked this room on hotwire which said it was a 3-star, it definitely was not! Price we received did not reflect a 2-star property, but that is hotwire's issue, not the hotels. I would not stay here again, hotel is way over priced, then have to deal with the issues above.

Room Tip: best tip to find a good room, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My hotel of choice was booked and found the Welcome Hotel & Suites. It is definitely NOT a Holiday Inn! The entire hotel looks dated as do the rooms. I kept having issues with my room card where the door would not open and had to have my room keys replaced 3 times. Don't fall for the "keep your cards away from..." excuse. The door lock needs to be replaced! I was here for 3 days and had to try my card 20 or more times to get the door to unlock each time. My room was not serviced the 2nd night. Also, the mattress did not fit the bed frame and I found that the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. I kept knocking my shin on a metal piece that was protruding from the frame and left with a few bruises. They do offer a free breakfast that was okay and they offer a free dinner on some nights. I found the food to be quite salty and barely eatible.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked this as a Hotwire Hot Rate so didn't know what I was getting. Hotwire had it labeled as a 3* which it definitely isn't. It's probably is a 2.5* or 2*. That's Hotwire's problem, not the hotel's. As other reviewers have pointed out, it is no longer a Holiday Inn and Suites and now the Welcome Inn and Suites. Overall, the hotel didn't live up to expectations, nothing really blew me away and there were some areas that were lacking. I probably wouldn't stay here again as the price wasn't worth the value.

Pros:
- Location, close to the mall with many dining options
- Relatively quiet. We had the a corner room, 2nd floor looking over a cornfield. First floor, however, always had kids screaming and running around by pool
- Foyer is nice, however, same quality doesn't extend into the rooms.
- Fridge and microwave in the very large room.

Cons:
- Strange, off-putting smells throughout the hotel. It always smelled like over-ripe bananas on the first floor, there was a musty smell in certain parts of the room, and the elevator just smelled rotten. We took the stairs the rest of the stay.
- Room seemed slightly dingy. Broken tiles in the bathroom, carpet not well-cleaned.
- Left hotel between noon-1pm, room was never cleaned
- Breakfast was picked over by 8:30 and not replenished
- 4 puny pillows on king bed. I know I could have asked for more, but it looked ridiculous and cheap on a king bed.
- Sheets were scratchy and bed was average, nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side of the hotel overlook a corn field rather than the parking lot and the back o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TechieTravels1
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Now the Welcome Inn... Pretty good hotel. I'd stay there again. Very nice foyer.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McElSteve
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have travelled to the Decatur area on business a number of times over the last few years and have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Forsyth and have been quite satisfied. However, a year or so had past between my two most recent stays and I noticed on my recent stay that the rooms had become quite worn and things had slipped considerably. Then two months later, I needed to return and I reluctantly booked my usual stay at the HIE Forsyth but at the last minute I received an email from Intercontinental Hotel Group (owners of the Holiday Inn brands) that the hotel was no longer a Holiday Inn Express. Now more concerned based upon this change and the disappointing prior visit, I cancelled my reservation at what is now the Welcome Inn Hotel and stayed at a different hotel. However, one of my travel companions did stay at the Welcome Inn and said his room was recently remodeled.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you stay in has been remodeled.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve1362
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Checked in last night after coming from Springfield and visiting Abe Lincoln's final resting place. This was a moving and worthwhile experience. Was informed by the front desk staff that they weren't sure what the hotel brand was anymore, since this is all locked up in litigation and attorneys are attempting to right some mistakes in contracting and branding. Whatever... I didn't recieve any HI points for staying but these are such nice hotels, it just doesn't matter.

Brought in a great meal from a nearby Red Lobster, settled into my accessible room on the first floor, adjacent to the ice machine, exercise room and the pool and suddenly, life is good and this is how I foresaw my day ending in my mind's eye. The setting sunlight streaming through the diffused sheer curtains, all the channels working on my flat screen, and the ice chiming a high pitched tinkling chord in my wine glass.

My room is large, nicely equipped with mini-frige, microwave, the view through my window is "country" and more importantly, this room is clean and squared away. I like that, and look for it in all of my travels and am quick to call a hotel out for neglect in this regard.

Front desk staff are veterans, they love their job, and fear the current mix-up with brands may interfere with thier well-being and job security. Can't blame them for this. Nontheless, they're helpful, pleasant, and accomodating under this pressure. Great people are hard to find and this hotel, I hope, appreciates this in their staff.

While you're cruising in the pool or speeding nowhere fast on your bike in the exercise room, take a peek out the east windows and gaze upon a glorious field of green corn growing not six feet from the breakfast room deck, and stretching out to the distant treeline and then beyond.
With the rising sunlight of the morning as a back-drop, is there anything that makes you feel more grateful to be alive than this? Regale and savour the moment before you head out today to your meeting or other destinations.

This hotel does it all better than most... regardless of what it ends up calling itself.

Room Tip: Don't miss breakfast on the east veranda!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barry H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#8 of 14 in Decatur
Homewood Suites Decatur-Forsyth

Been to Welcome Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!