“Home to see the family hotel”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I are from the area and stay here each time. It has a good location, well kept rooms, good staff and nice added breakfast. Enjoy the kitchenette when it is needed too. It is nice when you can wake up and grab a local newspaper as well. Just wish, like most hotels, they had a bigger coffee pot in the room!

Room Tip: Go with the accessible rooms if possible, otherwise the bathrooms are a little cramped.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Home to see Family,
Thank you for the kind words I feel I have a great staff and a lovely Hotel and it's very satisfying to hear when a Guest enjoys it as well.
Aren't the coffee pots disappointing when I travel, as well, I don't feel like getting dressed and going to Breakfast area to get more coffee, I try to see that we leave extra coffee to make more then one cup or two. I personally would like to see this changed.
Hope to see you next time your in area, and thank you again for your nice comments and suggestions.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

These are the things we enjoyed about our recent stay here:

Great breakfast selection. We often stay at inexpensive hotels that include a continental or hot breakfast of some sort and this was one of the best we've been to for the price point. The hot food was actually decent and my daughter loved making a waffle each morning. The first morning of our stay, there was a wider variety of cereal but the 2nd and 3rd mornings it was very basic Special K, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, etc. Not crowded at all.

Large room size. The room was perfect size for our family. Still plenty of room to move around with the sofabed fully extended. Didn't use the kitchenette, but there was a microwave, a coffee pot with coffee, a refrigerator, cabinets and a sink. More than adequate to fix a few simple microwaveable meals or to bring a crockpot if you're planning on saving money on meals during your hotel stay.

Nice staff. Each person we came into contact with was nice and happy to help.

Area. The hotel is in an excellent area. Shares a parking lot with the movie theater and mexican restaurant. Wal-mart is across the street along with a strip mall. Lots of nearby restaurants and a grocery store. Everything you need is right here within a quarter mile radius.

Things this hotel could improve on:

The workout room is sad. I didn't expect a 5-star gym with a personal trainer, but a fan would be nice to help circulate the air. The treadmill squeaked something terrible with each step taken. Both bikes worked fine as far as the workout goes, but one was missing some buttons and the display didn't work properly. There is a TV in the room but I didn't turn it on. A mat and stability ball would be a great, inexpensive addition to the room. It was nice they provided towels and a laundry bin to place them in when finished so I didn't have to take a towel from my room. There is also water in the room.

The elevator inspection certificate was 2 months out of date. It's a bit of a creepy ride up, regardless of this but that is just my personal opinion as I have an aversion to small spaces like that. I took the stairs after the first ride on the elevator with no problem.

Minor issue - no one appeared to be manning the desk the morning we were checking out. I stood there for several minutes before an employee walked in as if she'd just arrived - jacket on, carrying her purse, came in through the front door as if she were just arriving. She helped me right away once she got there, but there isn't a bell to ring or any way that I saw to find an employee if you needed one.

Another minor issue - holes in the bed linens. Lots and lots of holes in the bed linens. They were clean, but holy and I don't mean religious. This didn't impact our use of them, but it did look bad.

Overall, I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to a friend who is looking for a clean, inexpensive place to stay in the Decatur area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Had A Good Stay,
Your praises are welcomed and will be discussed at our next staff meeting- as well as your suggestions. It's thru your eyes that I review needs and wants with staff as well as owners. Appreicate all comments. Hope to see you in town again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Reviewed November 30, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Have stayed here a couple times, have had a good experience each time. Room was clean and spacious. There was a strong smell of chlorine in the lobby, but I presumed they had just shocked the pool. Hallway smelled a little musty, but once in the room, could not smell it any longer. The night clerk on the front desk was very friendly when we arrived very late on Thanksgiving Eve. I thought the doors were locked so I rang the bell and even though I scared her, she just laughed and joked that she was awake now! Day clerk was just as friendly, too. Breakfast could stand a little help, but overall was typical. I have stayed in just about every hotel/motel in Decatur while my kids were at Millikin and now again that my daughter lives there. This is about the best Hotel Decatur has to offer.

Room Tip: can get a good price if you book on a discount website like hotwire.com
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

BesT Place To Stay,
We appreciate all your kinds words and the review. I'm using your comments at our next staff meeting. When all is said and done the staff deserves the high praise. Hope to see you next time your in our area.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family and I were in the area for a wedding in Sullivan. Check in was great. The girl at the desk was very friendly and greated us with a smile. I wish I remembered her name...however this is where the good stopped. The room was freezing. The A/C was turned on high?? It's November. We also noticed right off the bat the fridge was really loud. We called down to the desk and the clerk didn't really seem to care and said "yeah, they are loud sometimes when they run." (This wasn't the same girl we checked in with, her voice was different) I thought this was an odd response...how about fixing it? We then left for the wedding and reception. We got back to the room late to realize we had to make our own pull out sofa? I realize the bag had a pillow blanket and extra sheet but no sheet already on the pull out? And wow speaking for myself who had the great honor of sleeping on that pull out...I think I was poked by springs all night! It was horrible! The next morning we couldn't really eat in the breakfast area because the hotel was hosting a large group with the I think the National Guard.Check out was the complete opposite of check in. We had checked out pretty early around 6am and the girl looked like she had been up for days and barely said two words to us at check out. There were other hotels in the area and closer to the wedding but we had picked this one because the bride and groom had blocked off rooms there. We were highly dissapointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Sandy D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent letter regarding your stay at our property. I agree that the usual high standards of our guest servies were not met in this stay. And I can understand how disappointing it can be when your expectations are not met. Please accept my apologies and as a result of your letter I have set a new program in place to prevent re-occurrences. I do hope you'll give us another opportunity when your in Decatur area to show you that customer service is our main priority and once again thank you for your letter.
SandyD