“Weekend getaway for my grand children”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Decatur
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed January 21, 2007

On christmas my three grandchilren were given a set of pj's along with a pass for a weekend getaway. This getaway meant alot to me . I placed a call to the country inn and Suites and spoke to a very friendly lady. She said that I could come in and take a look at the suites and if I hade any questions thereafter I could give her a call. The check in on 1/13 went very smoothly .In the lobby area there were fresh chocalate chip cookies. Peanut Butter cookies are one of there favorites. My granddaughter asked the hotel clerk if they hade peanut butter cookies. She said yes and she would bring them to the room after they were baked. Sure enough there was a knock on the door with the cookies. I would say she went out of her way to please my grandchildren. I would have rated it excellent but sadly when we checked out on the morning of the 14th the person checking us out did not thank us for our business.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank dimple01
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Decatur

Reviewed December 31, 2006

The public areas of this hotel need care. The elevator floor had two big piles of sand on it, dirty towels were left on the hallway floor outside the elevator. The pool area needs maintainance - floor tile grout and tiles are buckling. The public restroom was dirty when we checked in - paper towels overflowing the trash can, no toilet paper on holders. It was in the same condition in the morning when we checked out, so no cleaning crew had been there. The breakfast was plain and ordinary. The room refrigerator's seal was filled with grime.

People were running up and down the hallways at 12:30 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. shouting obscenities and yelling about being naked. No one from the hotel staff came to quiet them.

Having stayed in over 70 hotels this year, I know this is definitely an inferior place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 50statetraveler
Reviewed December 2, 2006

I have always loved staying at this hotel, but the last time I stayed, one lady at the front desk (A MANAGER) was very rude, to me and everyone else. A man asked her if he had done something to offend her (this is how rude she is) and she replied no I have problems at home, very unprofessional. The only upside is the lady that does the breakfast is wonderful. The maids are very nice also. But you can forget about checking in a minute before time, if she is working, she is very rude even if you ask. She never said hello, or thanked us. If my teenager needed something, she would ignore him at the front desk. I will go back when they get rid of her. but not until.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank leslie92
Wausau, WI
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I have stayed at other Country Inn and Suites and have always been impressed with the service and the cleanliness of the rooms. This location; however, is the exception to the rule. The room was "junky" looking--wallpaper peeling, worn carpet, et cetera and not sparkling clean.

My husband and I booked three nights over Christmas and the pillows were uncomfortable. I called the front desk and the clerk informed me that no other pillow types were available--the pillows had been switched due to corporate policy-- and then promptly hung up. On Christmas day, the housekeeper did a TERRIBLE job cleaning the room. No wiping of the bathroom sink and no cleaning of the bathtub or bathroom floor.
The topper of the whole experience was not receiving our wake-up call on our day of departure. When I talked to the desk clerk, he just said that it wasn't written down anywhere. I understand that this is not a luxury hotel, but I do expect quality customer service. With increased lodging competition in this area, Country Inn and Suites would benefit from training their staff to not blame others but to solve problems. Stay at the Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, Wingate Inn, or Ramada Inn Express instead. All of which are within a stone's throw of Country Inn and Suites.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Traverse City MI
Reviewed July 2, 2004

The Country Inns have nice rooms, spacious and usually very clean. I've had some of the best service from Country Inn and Suites (I stay in hotels around 50 nights a year) so I choose that brand when it's available. However, if my travels take me to Decatur, I won't stay here.
Among the reasons: very rude at check in. I arrived a bit early and was told "You'll have to wait like everyone else. The room isn't clean yet." I believe there would have been a nicer way to say that, don't you? When I asked a question of this woman while I was waiting, she snapped at me. If I hadn't travelled so far, and if I hadn't been so tired, I would have immediately cancelled my reservation and moved on to another hotel. The pool area was dirty and had no towels.
I don't know what's changed at this place but it's a totally negative turnaround from when I stayed there in February. Definitely not returning.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alpharetta GA
Reviewed April 14, 2004

We stayed at this hotel while on our way to Minneapolis. I like Country Inns concept and the rooms are spacious - huge bathrooms, plenty of room to move about. The decor is charming and the ambience is truly like home. However, this location has a great deal to learn with regard to customer service. Only two people that we dealt with on our stay took the time to be courteous and went out of the way to help us. I wish I had written down the names, because they certainly were the only reason I didn't leave feeling as if my business was unappreciated. When I attempted to check in, the woman working the desk was reading a book and behaved as if my check-in was an inconvenience to her. One of the maids asked her a question to which she rudely responded "How the heck am I supposed to know". Perhaps they were joking and used to this, but it was extremely unprofessional in the presence of customers - and I believe in having fun at work - and it appeared as if this housekeeper was quite offended. A very lovely lady from the maid staff smiled as we went to our room and wished us a pleasant stay and offered to help us as needed. We went to use the pool and there were no towels. When I asked the woman at the desk for two, she informed me that the laundry wouldn't be done until the 2nd shift person arrived and gave me one bath towel. She sighed when I asked for a second one. My husband called to ask directions to a local restaurant and this same woman said she was "busy, but would call back soon". The call didn't come. Calls to the desk weren't answered. Around 5 or so, we left to find a restaurant and saw that a different person was at the desk (male). The man was very welcoming and gave us three excellent suggestions for restaurants, a map showing us how to get to them, and wished us a great evening. I admit I was a little snappy with him when I asked about the restaurants, because I was frustrated about how we'd been treated before. He didn't blink an eye, and we were treated royally. If you're just looking for a place to sleep, you'll be happy with the accomodations here. It just seems to depend on who's working as to the level of service you'll receive.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Champaign IL
Reviewed January 6, 2004

Friends stayed at this hotel during the weekend of January 2 and 3. It was fairly central between Champaign and Springfield, and they had people to see in both towns. The hotel is very convenient to the interstate highway and they liked the fact that shopping and restaurants were close by, some within walking distance. They loved their room. I visited with them and thought the room was quite nice, also. My friends told me they called the front desk several times during their stay and were always treated politely. The man who helped us Saturday night was so courteous and was just a joy to deal with. I had never stayed in a Country Inn, but my friends had. They told me they are rarely disappointed with Country Inns and they will return to the one in Decatur thanks to the great staff and clean room and friendly service.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Homewood Suites Decatur-Forsyth
Welcome Hotel and Suites
Welcome Hotel and Suites
#5 of 14 in Decatur

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Decatur? Share your experiences!