“Just Average”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in DeKalb
Elkhart
“Just Average”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The night staff was very friendly and very helpful, day shift left a little to be desired. Room was ok, clean but badly worn and in need of serious updating. Breakfast was OK nothing special to mention just the run of the mill hotel breakfast. You are right off of the highway so that is nice and there is not much right around you, had to drive a little bit to find something to eat. No elevator and of course got a room on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The room does smells and it sticks on all my clothes. Yakk
The house keeper guy looks unwelcomed and unfriendly.
Some part of the floor was left unclean and looks not very good.

Overall, it's a decent cheap stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Normal, Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I travel quite a bit and I stay in a lot of Super 8's. The location for this Super 8 is great, right off the highway and there is a grocery store just down the road. It is quiet since there is nothing else around. This place needs to be cleaned and updated. The room was OK and for the most part clean. The bed was OK. But the carpet in the halls needs to be replaced and update. The doors, furniture, chairs has been beaten up. Replace it. If you are on business and price is an issue stay here. If you are on vacation go to the other side of town to some newer hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these DeKalb hotels

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very good motel to stay. It was right next to the exit and the beds were very comfortable to sleep and watch tv in. The motel was also clean and looked up to date, looked like it was recently painted due to the new paint smell. I was on my way to NIU for the wrestling tournament and wanted to find a quick spot to stay. I really enjoyed the pool here and the breakfast was also just as enjoyable. The staff was also helpful during our stay. I really to recommend that you stay here and try it out. As the title states, the motel was nothing like the other reviews and the overall rating.

Room Tip: Try the whirlpool suite, its nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank speedystay8
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A friend of mine and I were driving to Dubuque, Iowa, for a weekend excursion. On our way there, we stayed overnight at this Super 8 in DeKalb. It was in a good location off I-88 and was fairly reasonably priced.

We arrived around 10 p.m. and had a smooth check-in. Our room on the second floor was comfortable and fairly clean for the most part. The bed was comfortable enough, but I kinda had a feeling that the bed sheets might not have been changed before we arrived. (I thought I noticed some other person's hair on the sheets. Some people might be really freaked out by that, but I didn't care too much. I was just too tired and fell asleep shortly after the lights were out and I closed my eyes.)

Everything seemed to work okay in the room, but for some reason, one of the lamps had been unplugged before we arrived. The bathroom was okay (pretty small, but the sink is out in the open). When I took a shower, the water in the tub didn't drain very well.

The hotel also has a small pool (no hot tub) and a continental breakfast with cereal, waffles (not the make-your-own Belgian kind though), donuts, and juice. Not too bad, but we decided to grab fast-food breakfast on our way out of DeKalb because we wanted hot eggs and meat. The check-out process was quick and easy.

In general, we didn't have any major problems at this facility. It was definitely average. I wouldn't mind staying here again if this is all that's available (and the price is right), but guests should not expect anything fancy at all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My niece had a competition at NIU so we wanted to stay somewhere close and affordable. The pool was definitely the best part of the stay, and honestly the reason we booked it in the first place. The kids loved the pool. It is small but well maintained. The rooms definitely need to be updated. The beds were like sleeping on boards and the pillows were the worst I've ever slept on. It was almost like not having one at all! I agree with the other reviews that they need to have more than one staff member working and the breakfast was definitely lacking. For the pool, however, I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeKalb
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Motel 6 Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle
Holiday Inn Express Rochelle

Been to Super 8 DeKalb IL? Share your experiences!