“I wanted to vomit”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in DeKalb
Chicago, Illinois
“I wanted to vomit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

After reading the previous reviews I decided not to unload my car before I checked out my room. Upon entering my room, I noticed 2 bugs on the bathroom floor. One bug was dead and one was crawling. The 1st floor room was very damp. I pulled the bedspread back off the bed, and the flat sheet as well, and there were several hairs in the bed and on 1 pillow. The sheets looked rumpled, like they were already slept in. I told the front desk woman, Laurie, about the hair and said she would check my room. Upon returning to the desk she said, "I picked the TWO hairs off the bed and I remade both beds. Are you happy now?" I told her I was disgusted and I had never seen anything like this place before in my life. I arrived home 2 days later and my husband told me that they still charged my bank account $84 for the gross hotel I never stayed in. I just spoke to the manager, JP, and he said our money should be refunded in a couple of days. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE!! YOU MIGHT AS WELL SLEEP IN A DUMPSTER. Also, my sister's room was even worse than mine.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank E R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Janesville, Wisconsin, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

The hotel is a good location when visiting the University and the night staff was very friendly and helpful. However, the bed linens were stained and had not been changed since the last guest. The bottom of the toilet seat was spotted with urine. The front desk person came and cleaned the bathroom for us even though it is not her job to do it. The desk in our room had the front trim peeled off of it and staples sticking out - which was nerve-wracking since we had our toddler with us in the room. It wouldn't be a bad place to stay if they just cleaned it after each guest and took care of these maintenance issues. Also getting one more ice machine would be more convenient, since the small ice machine shared among the entire hotel seemed to have a hard time keeping up.

Our timing seemed to be bad too since there was construction on the rooftop right out side our room early Friday morning and Friday and Saturday nights had bands at the bar next door that played loudly into the night.

The night service people were great. The day people (who I think was the hotel manager/owner?) seemed to lack any interest in anyone staying there.

Room Tip: If you must stay here due to the lack of other hotels in DeKalb, get a room on the West side of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Denise M

Travelers are raving about these DeKalb hotels

Davenport, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have stayed at Baymonts before and this one was very disappointing. We use Baymont's when we go for work conferences and we no longer will be. Receptionist was too busy reading her newspaper. Our room 108 was full of mold, especially around the fan and bathtub. Stains on the bed and carpet. We went to the pool and there were dead bugs floating in it. The breakfast was awful and minimum offered. Coffee was out and everything else looked left over from the prior weekend (We stayed a Thursday night). Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Kim N
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had the chance to stay in DeKalb several times this past school year and the Baymont was the best. The inside pool area was clean and a nice place to take a break. Breakfast was the same as what you get at any other hotel. What we really liked were the updated rooms (compared to another nearby hotel). Also, I had to call to book my room the first time because it was a same day rental. Laurie at the front desk was super friendly and professional. Several weeks later I had to speak with her again for a quick need and she was just as professional and friendly. I believe the owner may have chit chatted with me one morning while I made breakfast and he too, was very friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bevyb821
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Spent the winter and spring of 2012 travelling in and out of Dekalb, and always stayed here. It is family operated so the staff is always willing to help out whenever you run into an issue. There has been a lot of major changes over the past few months: new room TV's, carpeting, breakfast area, and more. I get the impression this was a privately owned facility before becoming a Baymont and suspect the facilities were a bit lacking, hence the need for upgrades.

Will continue to stay here when in the area, the price is very competitive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Litchfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Spent 1 night at this hotel. The room was dirty, tub did not drain and too much water softener. Breakfast consisted of stale donuts. Breakfast area was dark when breakfast was supposed to be served from 6:00 am to 9:00 am. Extremely disppointed considering my family and I had stayed in Baymont Inns previously. Noisy with trains in back of hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank M J
Reynolds, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

$103 for a dirty room. My wife and I went to my sons wrestling sectionals and stayed the night there on March 2, 2012. The first thing we ask when getting there was if the kids could use the pool. We were told the pool could not be used over the weekend due to chemicals they just added to the pool. After getting to our room 215 we noticed how very cold it was. We turn the heat on and the furnace was very loud with a sqeeky fan. Cold air flowed in under the broken window sill which caused the the furnace to kick on for 3 minutes then shut off for 30 seconds. This went on all night long. There was hair all over the bathroom floor and the sheets on the bed had stains on them. A train went by every 10 to 20 minutes. I slept maybe 1 hour all night long setting up in a chair. My wife and I got up in the morning and decided to take the stairs down for breakfast. When we got to the hallway leading to the lobby by the pool it was blockaded by old rolled up carpeting blocking the doors to the pool. Finally after stepping over all this carpeting we finally made it to the the lobby for breakfast. The bannanas were black and the oranges had mold growing on them. No coffee, and the orange juice was sour. Other people complained and the only thing they brought out was another picture of orange juice. That one was also sour, so we take it the do not refrigerate it. My breakfast consisted of the only hard boiled egg they had out, and a piece of stail bread for toast. Would be helpful if the people working could speak english at the desk. First time staying at a Baymont inn and it will be my last. My son made state and the state wrestling will be held in Dekalb coming up this weekend. All the hotels in Dekalb are book except this one. My family will be staying in Rochelle at a nicer motel further away.

Room Tip: Stay Away!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Patrick P
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeKalb
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Super 8 DeKalb IL
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Dekalb? Share your experiences!