Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewscollege townoutdoor poolroom was cleanin room coffeehave stayed here several timeslight sleeperice machinefront desk clerkliving roomdowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed here because it was close to a convention site at NIU so we figured it would be ideal. I read reviews online about this hotel, and each and every single one said this place was dirty and not a decent place to stay, it has a 100% THUMBS DOWN rating- we should've listened! The initial impression upon checkin was that the desk staff was friendly but maybe not so much well equipped or well trained. The initial cleanliness impression was terrible- carpets all along the side stairwells visibly full of dirt, grass, trash, etc. Halls were the same, also no A/C in halls, very humid and very musty. My allergies started bothering me immediately. The rooms that we (group of 3 rooms) checked into all had something wrong with them, one smelled of cigarette smoke (nonsmoking room) one had a drain that didn't drain and ours smelled musty. We hoped airing the place out would help, but that night and next day I had a splitting headache and constant cough seeing as I'm most allergic to mold and mildew. We asked to be switched to another room by day 2 but it was worse in smell with slight cigarette smell and wall paper peeling. All the way around this property is in dire need of better management, extreme updating, and intensive cleaning and cleaning staff training. Visible dirt and debris particles in carpet of all of our rooms, hair on bath floors, cracked and rotted bath ceilings, only 2 pillows per room, stains on comforters, and on and on. I've worked in hospitality before and the management line of thought there was that when this many problems arise in one stay, doing anything and everything short of giving away the farm would be neccessary to make up for it- this is definitely not the thought here, staff seems to be somewhat apathetic and not very empowered. The train that runs directly next to the property is ridiculously constant, several times in the hour running both ways. Certainly made for terrible sleep. In the fitness room, the equipment was entirely outdated (the treadmill has a max speed of 4.5 for running, this was a slow jog), the weights were broken, and the seat of the bicycle was broken, On top of this ALL- today on the way home from Illinois I realized we left two pillows in the room, one is a very expensive chiropractic-ordered orthopaedic pillow. I immediately called the hotel, the desk staff girl seemed very apathetic and nonresponsive-I had to give her suggestions of what to do,, "Can you look for them? Send them to me? Here is my number". She did not return my call as she said she would, so I called again, she had not looked for them in housekeeping yet. She didn't find them, not to my surprise. One positive point is the staff let us keep our refrigerated items in the Breakfast Room refrigerator for the whole stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank HollyLig
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed in this motel a few days back, since it was the only one near NIU and downtown Dekalb that accepted pets. The desk clerk was very nice and even came to our room in person far various things, and was always very helpful at the desk. The grounds and outside appearance of the motel are very nice. The biggest downside though are the rooms, some of the wall paper throughout the room had major issue with black mold, which wad a bit disgusting and lead to my family and I avoiding contact with the walls. The other issue was that the tub had several chips in it, and there was dirt on the walls of the shower in a few spots. As nice as the location and staff was, I think I will stay elsewhere next time unless I here of remodeling.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

However, for the price and considering there isn't much to choose from not the worse place.
Has outdoor pool. Rooms are very basic with a motel type feeling. To avoid this, I would recommend a room in the indoor part of hotel with King beds. I found that room to be a lot cleaner. They do have continental breakfast which we got use out of.
Not a bad place, just don't have high hopes.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Had to travel to DeKalb to visit an aunt as was not going to be at the hotel very much so i did not check the reviews. Behind the beds was disgusting, don't think they have been cleaned in at least 3 years, no towels. At 11:00 on our last night no toliet paper so went to the front desk because the phone did not work ( jack frayed ). Glad I did not have a 911 emergency, hotel could have been held responsible. Tried to check -in to flight on computer in lobby, after 45 minutes gave up, went that slow. ( They are aware there is a problem). FYI-I work in a hotel so I understand how hard hotels have been hit in this economy but there is no excuse for such a dirty room. They have never been checked by a supervisor or mgt .
Note to Best Western-I would deflag this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The room was unclean, with spiders in the ceiling corners, and it reaked of mold and mildew. There were no towels in the room when I checked in at 3pm. I picked up the room phone to call the front desk, but the phone was not functional. Calling the front desk with my cell phone, I informed the clerk that there no towels except for the one which is used as a floor mat. The clerk said that he would take care of the problem, but he didn't. I explained that I would be leaving the room for a conference at 4pm, returning to the hotel after midnight and would appreciate having towels at that time. When I returned there were still no towels, so I was forced to use the floor mat as a towel. I explained the predicament to the clerk again as I checked out of the hotel, to which he simply replied, "Sorry about that..." then handed me a bill for $88.50. The location of the hotel couldn't be worse --- built right alongside the train tracks, freight trains run every hour all night long. A miserable experience all around.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business