“Always a good stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in DeKalb
Dearborn, Michigan
“Always a good stay”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

For the years that my daughter attended NIU (2008- Present) my wife and I often stayed at the Dekalb Best Western. Thanks to Vicky Torres, and her staff, (especially Scott) each visit was pleasurable. From the intense moments of graduations, rushing to banquets, or just there relaxing before one of our daughters basketball games, this Inn handled our needs while making it a good hotel experience. Rooms were good, service was great. No question the place to stay while in or around the Dekalb area. Tony Brown Michigan

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TONYB676
BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Mr. Brown:

Thank you for taking the time to review Best Western Dekalb Inn & Suites. I have made sure that my staff has read your review, as I do all reviews. We strive to accomadate all of our guests and appreciate all comments. Thank you once again and hope to see you and your family soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Barrington, IL
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went there mid-March when it was very cold. Room was warm and very clean. Nice little set up with a small table and two seats. Bathroom clean and shower bar is of the preferred curved variety. The exterior of the building was a little beat up with some "pothole" like concrete patches on the second level, and needing some small outside cleaning and trash pickup (the area has numerous take out restaurants). Friendly check in, and inviting lobby. Older hotel (probably built 50 years ago, and the electrical outlets are sparse in the room (we used the bathroom outlets mostly). The beds were super comfy with top padding and nice white sheets (and the wrapped comforter inside the sheets - very nice. The outside pool was covered (it was snow outside) but looked good size and is in the center of the entire hotel complex. The amenities in the room were very minimal and low quality (think thumb-size for a shampoo bottle, and a tiny soap). Also note that the rooms (including ours) all appeared to be the type that open directly to the outside (no hallway) so you are exposed to the weather a little depending on what the wind is doing.

This property is right next to the freight train tracks (literally, we parked and were about four car lengths from the tracks), and these are apparently the main west bound tracks for railcars out of Chicago. At one point a large freight went by, and then another one started going by within 10 minutes of the last one. We were about five rooms in from the corner of the hotel, and still heard / felt the trains throughout the night, but notably the kids slept through it.

Based on friends, we would probably shoot for a hotel in Sycamore instead of Dekalb in the future. Most of the big shopping centers and chain restaurants (Applebee's, Noodles & Co., Panera, DQ, etc.) are towards Sycamore (go North on 1st street downtown and follow the sign to veer a little right to shopping).

Room Tip: Go towards the front of the hotel (rooms 100 - 110 or similar on the second floor).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank munchman
Woodstock, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Well we had just left the super 8 down the road because it was just discusting. So we hope to find a good hotel down the road, we arive at this one and there is a fire truck and ambulance, but still we decide to stay. The room was nice housekeeping does a very nice job cleaning, but the door to get in the room was broke you have to slam the handle down and push real hard to open it. So later on we notice the toilet doesn't flush the handle is broke. So as we're going to bed we get a call about a family emergency and end up having to leave, and nick the front desk attendant ask's "what we need" we a tone I sure didn't like. He says he can't refund us one of the managers has to do it and tells me to call Vicky or Scott. I just talked to Vicky this morning and she was great, helped me no problem. So overall, if the hotels maintaience team was a little more focused and Nick knew how to address and talk to customers better this would be one of the best hotels in dekalb.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Phil1989
BWDK, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Phil:
Thank you for the review. We take each and everyone seriously.I appreciate you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. I have spoken with the staff members mentioned. The maintenance issues have been resolved. .I understood your emergency as soon as we spoke yesterday. Please stop by on your next trip to Dekalb. Hope all is well. Take Care.
Bristow, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 27, 2013

When we arrived, Scott at the front desk was so helpful. We needed a couple of rooms for the family. We were from out of town for our Mom's funeral. He gave us an excellent rate and helped us get settled. Whenever we asked for anything, he and Vicky were there giving us what we needed. So HELPFUL!!! We were very grateful to them both!!! We would definately stay there again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Scott and I we're just talking about all of you yesterday. We hope everyone is doing well and your finding comfort within each other. Stop in on your next trip to Dekalb.
Chicago
Reviewed February 24, 2013

For the quality of the room, a $40-50 price would have been much better than the $90 price. The bathroom was not well kept up and had maintenance issues (see attached pictures). Mattresses seemed like they had not been replaced in a while and did not make for a good nights sleep. The trains coming by at all hours of the night were very loud. The location is very convenient, but the price is too high for the room quality.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away as you can from the train tracks.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for you review. It is always great to get feedback from our guest, negative or positive.It helps us to better serve our guests. I have taken all your comments to heart . We have already corrected issues from your review and would like to welcome you back on your next visit to Dekalb. Just mention my response to your review and we will upgrade you to a luxury suite.
Cortland, Ohio
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed at hotel January 27, 2013. Even tough they were very buzy, I was very impressed with the prompt and courtious sevice,They even upgraded me to a suite. Melanie was very helpful in giving driving instuctions. I had the best sleep. I have stayed in the area before but never have I been treated so special. They just had their flat screens installed and told me I was the first to use th new TV"S. Perfect location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BWDK, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are very pleased, you enjoyed your stay. Stop by on your next visit to Dekalb. We will try to upgrade you again. I told Melanie about you, mentioning her in the review, it's always nice to hear positive comments. We do try to upgrade our guest when at all possible.

Remember on your next visit Fatty's Pub & Grill and Pizza Pro's offer a 10% discount on food when you show them your hotel key card.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed here periodically over the years since it used to be a Holiday Inn. It is my favorite hotel in DeKalb. Room was clean and comfortable. Front desk help was very friendly and helpful, both at check-in and check-out. I have lots of good memories of this hotel over the years. I welcome the sound of the trains behind the hotel, as they seem to help me sleep. Beds are firm and comfortable, and I never sleep better than when I'm here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Jeff:

Thank you for the refreshing review. You have been a very loyal guest. I would like you to mention this review on your next visit to Dekalb and we would like to check you into one of our luxury suites. There's been a few upgrades since you check out. We have installed flat screen TV's and new furniture.

Vicky Torres
Hotel Manager /DOS

Anyone who mentions this ad from 2/7/13-3/7/13 will have the opportunity to be upgraded to a luxury suite. Based on availability.
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeKalb
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Super 8 DeKalb IL
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle
Holiday Inn Express Rochelle

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb? Share your experiences!