“Hit or Miss”

Chuck's Southern Comforts Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Chuck's Southern Comforts Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cass Ave & Iroquois Street
Illinois
“Hit or Miss”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Six of us went to this location. The day's special was Mexican Pot Roast - VERY salty. The pulled pork was good, but the "hot sauce" not very hot. The sides of macaroni and cheese and potato salad were quite good, but the cole slaw very average. The cat fish dinner was very over-breaded and deep fried - not very appealing or tasty. Might try this place again as the service was good. Also the ambience at this location is not very "southern." This building used to be a night club of sorts and it still has that feel to it.

• Visited October 2013

chicago
“and Dessert was even better”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a nice BBQ place saw on Diner's drive in's and dives for their Burbank location we decided to come here. 3ish on Saturday....what got me was I asked about a soup and they brought me a sample...how nice was that and the soup was good. A unique stuffed pepper soup ( Guy should have tried that bad boy) We then had BBQ Nachos (tasty) and rib tip appetizer, well my stomach should have stopped there but we ordered Brisket and Hot Links dinner with Mac and cheese and Garlic Mash. Husband ordered Chicago Wings Korean Style awith fries and slaw. It was so good, the sauce on the table is very earthy in flavor I asked for the Carolina they brought it out and it was vinagery sweet and I liked it. My take on the food was over all great, gravy has a lot of sage in it and I am not a sage person. I liked the hot link and it had kick, the Brisket was like "BUTTER" it melted so nice and good, the wings are ALMOST as good as crisp in the city. Mac and cheese was ok not the best I have had, the fries and slaw were tasty. Then came dessert and I am soooo glad we ordered this it was a special of the day and it was a Pear Upsidedown cake made from pears behind the restaurant (they have a garden how cool is that) it was incredible they got the sugar to carmalize just right. I will try the banana bread pudding in the winter when the fresh stuff is gone....LOL this was a great experience and all that food with 3 soft drinks less than $60 so not bad at all!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Great Southern Food and Barbecue!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been to Chuck's in Burbank several times after we saw the review on Check Please. So glad he opened the Darien location, so much closer. The best ribs I ever had--meaty and juicy with choice of sides. The baked beans are special in a spicy sauce with some meat in them. The pulled pork and barbecue wings are also very good. Chuck worked with Rick Bayless and has several Mexican dishes on the menu. They also have this special Mexican coffee that I haven't found anywhere else. We got seated right away and had good service, our waiter was very informative about the menu and the beers. Save room room for the dessert, many options. Large portions and well priced.

• Visited September 2013
Darien, Illinois
“S L O W”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

What should have been no more than an hour for a sit down dinner, turned into an hour and 45 minutes. It was not crowded (Saturday 8/31) approx 6:15pm. We waited less than 10 minutes for a table. Pulled BBQ chicken sandwich was verrrry dry and crumbly and chopped, not pulled. My husband did enjoy his BBQ Beef Brisket and our friend had the Jumbalaya which he said was good. The side of cole slaw was a few cabbage shreds in a bowl of liquid. Garlic mashed potatoes were decent (they were not hot either) The service was extremely slow, the server not knowledgeable about the menu items, or the beer list.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago
“Great food at great prices”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you like Southern food, BBQ, and all the accompaniments, this is the place. Located conveniently off I-55, the restaurant is new to this location, but has been serving great food in Burbank for years. Daily specials are scheduled a month in advance so you can pick the day to indulge your passion.
Great portions, freshly prepared, and desserts are fabulous. We'll be back!

• Visited August 2013