“Great Food/Awesome Place”

Dining options: Reservations
Gary, Indiana
“Great Food/Awesome Place”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Old Vilnius Cafe is a nice and cozy place...the food, service and the atmosphere is excellent. As always I do not know what to order because everything is so good I order the Lithuanian Platter.... The price is reasonable and you get so much food for that price. Their Hot Beet Soup is delicious and for an appetizer I do recommend their Fried Rye Bread. I always recommend the Lithuanian Platter to all my friends so they are guaranteed all the wonderful tastes of Lithuania. After lunch/dinner it's nice to go shopping for a few Lithuanian Souvenirs. I enjoyed my visit to Old Vilnius Cafe and will return soon !

Tinley Park, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thought Grandma was cooking in the kitchen!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This brought back memories of the great meals my grandmother used to make. The Cold Beet Soup was excellent. The Kugelis and the Polish Plate were top notch. Nice atmosphere as well!. We'll be back!!

Downers Grove, Illinois
“Not to our liking”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Because of the great reviews, my husband and father decided to give it a try. First of all you get an initial shock upon entering and you find yourself welcomed by an old couch and a grocery/souvenir shop! My father thought we walked into the wrong place which one could easily understand. A waitress/hostess stared at us for a few seconds then motioned us down towards her into a DARK, dingy, did I say dark? room. Dark walls, dark floor, dark heavy wooden tables & chairs. Felt like furnishings belonged in a dank Medieval castle back in Europe.
Not very welcoming at all. The menu offered many choices but for us was very limited - as we do not eat tongue or take our peas with pigs ears. Two of us settled on the pork tenderloin and my husband ordered the Lithuanian platter. The pork was think and tasty, however we would have rather had the gravy over our mashed potatoes as it just made the crust on pork soft/soggy.
The potatoes and their version of sauerkraut were okay. My husband's platter consisted of potatoes in three or four versions (some quite unappetizing looking). The only thing he ate was the kugelis which was good but greasy. Soup/salad cost extra, no bread/rolls offered and no water provided. My dad who rarely complains said the $ 2.25 coffee was cold. By the way one comment mentioned the long lines, there were only 3 others in there when we dined. We won't be returning due to food/atmosphere and will instead make the quick 15 minute drive down to The Crystal in Westmont.

1 Thank jwoge
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great experience overall.
We were there for lunch. Best pork shish-kebob I had in years.
Waitress Agnes provided great service.
Didn't like soap opera on TV:)
Strongly recommend

chicago
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife bought a Groupon to this place based on high Internet reviews. I wasn't very exited about the place because trying Lithuanian food was never really on my list of things to do. This time my wife was right because we've been back several times.

This restaurant is attached to a small deli/grocery store and is very small. I think the decor is nice and it's always been clean. The service had always been good and is sometimes excellent.

The real highlight of this place is the food. The menu is huge and has a lot of variety. The Old Vilnius dumplings are really addicting. I like the fried zeplins (some kind of big sausage and potato dumpling). The pork tenderloin is a really impressive looking meal and is very good, but don't order it unless you're very hungry. I have also seen some tasty looking fish dishes come out of the kitchen but I haven't tried one yet.

This place is perfect for weekday dinner or just a change of pace from the usual resturants.

• Visited February 2014