“Nice atmosphere, good cepelinai, ..but skip the kugelis!”
Review of Old Vilnius Cafe

Old Vilnius Cafe
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had found about this new restaurant via Duke’s in Summit, which was fantastic. So I was enthused to try this place, which is much closer to home.
It’s in a building on 75th St adjacent to a Mexican restaurant. Parking is really limited, but the lot at the vacated Wolf Camera store is less than 50 yards away. The location is a little strange in that you can’t turn in if you’re approaching from the east; you have to continue to the strip mall at 75th and Lemont Rd/Main St and turn around there. And if you want to head westbound when you leave, a similar maneuver is needed in the other direction.
All tables were full when we got there – about 7pm on a Saturday – and we had about a 15-20 minute wait. (But by 8:00 it was cleared out) It went quickly, since they have a shop and deli there with lots of European/Lithuanian items – food, liquor, souveniers (some in our party didn’t care for the Lithuanian Playboys displayed so prominently, since there were kids…cultural thing, they’re not so uptight about that stuff in Europe). But the shop was great, and we spotted a few things we’d like to pick up on the way out….Turns out they close that part earlier than the restaurant, so if you’re there in the evening make your purchases before you dine.
The restaurant: not big, but high ceilings and a roomy airy atmosphere, with a few big tv’s. Pleasant. Clean bathrooms. Friendly service, no complaints.
Nice beer selection – Kalnapilis, Utenos, etc..
Food: the cepelinai/zeppelins were huge and tasted great. Potato pancakes very good too. Those who had kaldunai described them as excellent.
I had the Lithuanian Combo platter – One cepelinas, kugelis, sausage, sauerkraut…My disappointment was with the world’s thinnest kugelis, which had obviously been made using shortcuts and came out thin and runny and sort of mealy in texture. One in our party got just that – one of her favorite foods – and only managed a few bites.

The sausage was not the fresh Lithuanian sausage I had expected, but more of a hard smoked sausage. It was OK-tasting but tough, that’s about it. Wouldn’t specifically order it again.

So overall, I liked it. I’d go again.

Pluses on the cepelinai, potato pancakes, kaldunai, beer, atmosphere, and the shop.
Minuses: the kugelis. Hopefully this was a one-off and not indicative of the way they normally make it. And the sausage – replace it with something else, like what they serve at Duke’s.
Just needs a few tweaks, I hope Old Vilnius Cafe succeeds!

2  Thank RAIMIS2