“This hotel needs an update, badly!”

Danville Days Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Danville
leepoffaith
“This hotel needs an update, badly!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because it was the cheapest hotel I could find within a 1 hour radius of Champaign during the UIUC graduation weekend. I was not impressed with it, but I would not say it was dangerous or dirty either. Average with need of an update seems to be the perfect description. I would probably chose a different hotel to stay in if the prices were the same, but considering this hotel was less then half the rate of other hotels, it served the purpose I needed it to. Below are a list of some of the good and bad points of this hotel.

Good: Wifi signal in rooms was good, parking was easy, front desk staff was very nice and the continental breakfast was pretty good. Also, the LCD TV in the room did get a lot of channels including some in HD.

Bad: The whole hotel is horribly outdated. I would guess it hasn't been renovated since the late 80's or early 90's. The bed was not very comfortable, the sheets for the bed look like they had been shrunk so they did not fit the bed properly and the pillows were some of the worst pillows I've had in a hotel room. The tub did not drain well so you had to stand in water while showering and while the TV was newer, it was a regular LCD TV with no extra services and no one had bothered to delete channels that did not come in properly. Also, there was a lack of usable electrical outlets in the room (only 2). Lastly the walls seemed very thin and we heard just about everything our neighbors were saying.

If you stay here because it's cheap and you just need a place to sleep it will work just fine for you. If you are staying in the area for any other reason I would advice looking for another place to say. I would have liked to rate this a 2.5 star, but since I can't I decided to go with a 2 star since I believe it's a bit below the average hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Columbus
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The service was good. The hotel itself needs renovated. Water pressure wasn't good, lighting made the hotel seem dingy, carpets seemed yucky underfoot. The bath lighting wasn't good at all, and seemed dirty even though it wasn't. The hotel is just very old and could use some overall renovatiions. Only stayed there because other hotels were booked up. At this point would probably only stay here if that was the case again. Sorry.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Attica
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed there one night for a wedding that was 3 blocks away. It was clean & a great price for what we needed it for. The hotel is older & dated but very clean & staff was very nice. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I decided to try this hotel because it is very close to my client site, despite being warned not to stay there by my client. They were right, this is a hotel I will avoid at all costs in the future.

When I rate properties I do it compared to all hotels, no matter where they are in the world. I don't rate them based on "it's good for Danville" or such. There is no excuse when the hotel is managed by a national chain, that is be so derelict.

My overall rating is an average of several components of the hotel.

Location:
Honestly there isn't really a good hotel location in Danville. Most of the hotels are east of the town near the prison and the VA. These are the nicer hotels, but there is no where to eat or go on that end of town. From that perspective this is a better locations. Near downtown there are a few restaurants, mostly fast food, but a couple sit down too. The neighborhood however is a bit seedy and run down. I wouldn't leave anything of value, or for that matter, anything in my car.
Rating: 2 Stars

Appearance:
You might like the appearance if you were a 1950s Soviet Block architect. It's ugly, it's tired and it is run down. The parking lots are in rough shape and there is little landscaping. Not much else to say here.

Interior:
Slightly better than the exterior and slightly better than the room conditions. However it is still outdated. It is as clean as an old worn-out, stained hotel can be in the lobby.

Rooms:
Ugh, not much else to say. Mine was clean. Carpet is 1982 green and worn out. Colors are awful. Furniture is cheap and chipped and quite rough. The bed is new however and is the bright spot. The windows only have black out shades, no sheers, so unless you want everyone to see you, you have to keep the shades closed. There are few electrical plugs. Mine had a power strip stretched between a plug and the desk. It was the only place to plug in. Bathroom wasn't very dirty, but is stained and worn out as are the towels.

Bed:
The one bright spot of the hotel. It's relatively new, but the awful, thin pillows change the rating from 4 to 3. I slept well though.
Rating: 3 Stars

Breakfast:
It's complimentary. It's awful. Worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. Stale cereal, frozen waffles laying out in the room, gross room, and unwashed cloth napkins. Seriously bad.

Environment:
This is where I rate how friendly the hotel is. They had CFL light bulbs. Other than this there was no policy, no recycling, styrofoam plates and cups, etc.

Quality of Service:
Not awful, but not friendly. I only talked to desk clerks at check in and check out. All the other staff is unfriendly and disinterested. I'd be the same way if I worked here.
Rating: 2 Stars

Note: I did not try the restaurant. The 1 star rating from Yelp was enough to discourage me. There are decent restaurants around, don't bother with this one.

Value:
It is cheap at ~$59/night. Doesn't excuse the condition and such or make it worthwhile.
Rating: 2 Stars

Overall Rating: 1.63 Stars. Rounded up to 2.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere