“45 minutes from U of I”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Danville
Austin, Texas
“45 minutes from U of I”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night before the Illinois Marathon in Champaign. It's 45 minutes from the University and obviously it would have been nice to be closer (the closer hotels were booked solid) but honestly, after reading reviews of other hotels closer, we most likely would have stayed here anyway. It was very quiet, which was very important to us. The rate seemed high for the location, but perhaps that was due to the event at U of I. Overall, worth considering if you are willing to have a short drive to the University.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terri S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The hotel is very nice and seems very new. I got a HUGH room. You could had 2 rooms in 1. Place was clean and Breakfast area is large and open. Pool area is very nice. Only issue was the hot tub was not hot, like bath water. But over all I would go there again.

Room Tip: asked for 2nd floor large room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bink86
Kansas
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is not far from active RR tracks & close to the interstate. Danville is an industrial town. The hotel was on a dead end street. The parking lot was very small. A large vehicle would have to park out on the street. The hotel was clean. The room keys were deactivated after the first 24 hours. Since the group was scheduled to be there for 3 days, this was quite inconvenient & unnecessary. The breakfast offered in the mornings was varied each day & offered hot & cold items. This was nice. In the evenings, the group wanted to have adult beverages in the commons area but was told it wasn't allowed. They ended up outside & across the street at the other hotel in their gazebo.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IAwildrose
New Lenox, IL
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I travel on business to Danville and have spent a night or two at the Hampton every 4 to 6 weeks for the last year. I have to say that this is one of my favorite hotels to stay in during my travels in small towns in the midwest.

The desk staff is very friendly, I look forward to the cookies served in the lobby in the evenings, and the coffee is very good. You need to drive a few miles to find a good restaurant, unless you like Big Boy which is just across the street. I usually stop in town at the Green Garden Chinese restaurant on my way into town and get take out Chinese food, which I warm up later in my room if I don't feel like going out after driving all day. There is a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

I had to stay an extra night due to bad weather this winter and the storm was so bad I was getting water and ice coming throught the window in my room. Now I don't blame the hotel for this, it was a really bad storm whith gale force winds which is why I stayed an extra night. I called the front desk to inquire if this was happening in the entire hotel or was it just where my room was located? The front desk sent a maintenance person to my room immediately and moved me to the other side of the hotel. It was done in a very professional manner and they upgraded my room. I was just glad to be out of the storm!

There is noise from the train tracks nearby, but all the hotels in the area would be affected by this. When the trains bang it sounds like thunder. If this bothers you I suggest a room on a higher floor at the back of the hotel.which is much quieter. The rooms on the first floor closer to the highway (74) are much more affected by the noise then the rest of the hotel.

The breakfast is OK, I've had better at other Hampton's, but the overall quality of the hotel, helpfulness of the staff and updated rooms makes this one of my favorite Hamptons.

The TV's are flat screen, they have HGTV and the Comedy channel which is a step up from most of the hotels I stay in. They also have a little store where you can buy snacks and sodas.

If you are staying in Danville, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Upper floor, back of the hotel if the train noise would bother you.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Susanilz5
Belleair, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Hampton Inn & Suites at Danville offers an updated style of gathering space for breakfast, and the rooms appear to be updated as well. Check in process was efficient, and I was surprised that the desk clerk gave me the room number of another guest when I asked if I could telephone that person (I anticipated I would be connected to the room for safety reasons without knowing the room number). Breakfast was fine. As for the room, it was ok. It was clean, but had some marks of questionable origin on the bathroom wall. Advertising in the elevator that sheets and duvet covers are changed in between guests is kind of odd, if you ask me. Trains run nearby, and I fell asleep and awoke to the sound of freight moving on the rails (I suspect this would be the same experience at any of the nearby lodging options, too). Bright lights immediately outside my room made me keep the curtains closed. Just leaving a small section of the curtains open made it appear like a spotlight to the bed. If you are in town for dinner, eat at the Beef House. Very good food in a "throwback" setting to the mid 1960s. Oh, and if you use a BlackBerry or cellular phone, don't be surprised if it keeps changing times as mine did since you are staying just over the state line which marks central and eastern time zones.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor (top floor).
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SuzanneManhattan
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We visited our daughter during the UIUC homecoming football game. All the hotel rooms aournd Urbana-Champaign were booked 6 months in advance. We stayed at Hampton Inn Danville for one night. It is about 45-minute drive from the campus. The hotel is new, clean and comfortable. It is in the middle of nowhere with Holiday Inn and Fairfield Inn right next to it. There are no restaurants or stores close by. It is a good backup hotel if you can't find rooms close to the UIUC campus.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
auburn indiana
Reviewed October 17, 2011

stayed 2 nites with my precious daughter at this hotel.pros-room was nice-good bed and nice tv.cons-breakfast not the best, pool needed heat.but, the exercise room was great and the spa was excellent.overall, i would stay here again,but breakfast needs more meat and pool needs more heat!!!

Room Tip: get a higher floor-away from traintracks
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family