“The Breakers one of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Breakers

Breakers
Ranked #85 of 128 Restaurants in Crystal Lake
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Breakers one of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I live in New Orleans travel to Crystal Lake at least twice a year. The service is fantastic and so is the food.

1 Thank Joleen M

“Quality has changed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Have dined here for over 30 years. Our favorites were the eggs rolls and the shrimp with pea pods. On a recent visit we noticed the egg rolls have changed from the old time great flavor to a tough bland disappointment. The shrimp with pea pods was also different....in a bad way. Maybe there is a new chef or a food procurement philosophy change to cut cost. Breakers has lowered it's standards and no longer is our destination for great egg rolls and shrimp.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank MJM2991
“dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

i used to look forward to a monthly dinner there so after they re-opened my family took me for my birthday..i was very disapointed with my favorite meal..sweet-sour chicken..just now the same as it used to be..but will give it another try in the near future..

• Visited April 2013
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“My quest for good Chinese warps me back in time to the 70's for the best egg rolls ever”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We've been to Breakers before and loved their food. The egg rolls are the best I've ever had, crispy not greasy, filling is good served with tasty sauces.

They had closed for what we thought was a major rehab so we went back after they had re-opened. They are only open Wed - Sun and only for dinner. They have specials and live entertainment (check their website for specifics). We went on a Wednesday excited to see what changes they had made. Unfortunately we were very disappointed when we walked through the door. The parking lot had been repaved and the building got a fresh coat of paint; but other than being cleaner on the inside there was no major transformation of the decor. Same old dark dreary atmosphere, with worn carpet,(YUCK) and booths. The bar looks real nice but it's sectioned off and occupied by local regulars which makes it uninviting; despite the cheap drinks.

We were seated on the other side of the bar, on the other side of the plexiglass divider. The server was slow to arrive (guessing she was new since the table in front of us was promptly waited on by someone else). She was friendly enough and since we had been waiting for a bit we knew what we wanted and ordered right away. The service was really slow but the food was very tasty. Of course we ordered some egg rolls to start. I ordered the shrimp kew and my daughter had beef with broccoli, and we shared an order of vegetable fried rice.

They do offer American food, meals to share, as well as take out, but we were happy with our choices.

The food was good, but a little pricey, $40 with no alcohol. The service was painfully slow. Overall, I'm not going out if my way to go back. I'll continue my quest for the perfect place to get great Chinese.

Visited December 2013
Cary, IL
“Average at best!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have lived in the Crystal Lake for many years but had never been to The Breakers. Our visit was average at best. The Egg Rolls were tasty but very small. The Crab Rangoon hardly had any filling and the order was again on the small side. The Shrimp with Pea Pods contained small shrimp and the Pea Pods were not crisp. The flavor was bland. The Beef with Tomato & Green Pepper had a lot of peppers not very much beef and was again on the bland side. The Thursday night entertainment was pleasant but the atmosphere was old and out of date.

• Visited November 2013