“Delivers again!”

Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Railroad
Transit: Across the street from the Union Pacific Northwest Crystal Lake stop.
Description: Casual gastropub featuring gourmet sandwiches and comfort food featuring locally sourced organic and sustainable foods. Over 140 different Craft Brews and Belgian Ales, 21 of which are on draft.
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I've eaten lunch or dinner here about 5-6 times in the last year or so, and they have delivered a yummy meal each time. I feel their pricing is right for the quality of the local ingredients. If the serving size were smaller, then I would say the pricing is off, however, they are adequate. My chorizo and goat cheese flat bread pizza was great. My two adult daughters each took some home of their excellent madras curry,(could've been more rice), and the chicken pasta. Son inlaw and granddaughter went for burgers and were very happy. Haven't seen much change in the menu in awhile, though. Great beer selection. We'll be back!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Been here only on Friday nites, very busy so expect to wait min 45 minutes. Good variety of food, gluten free fish fry, pasta, all have been good so far. Portions depend on the kitchen we've had mixed amounts depending of time of nite.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We came with a large family group for lunch. According to my sister who lives here, they are know for burgers. Perhaps Iwe should have gone for the burgers, but we both opted for the salads. I had the Grilled Romaine Caeser and she had the Alehouse salad. Both were good, but not great. If I come back, I will order a burger.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

If you're a vegan, this is a great place for you... If you're not, this is still a great place for you. Premium quality meats, cheeses etc. just all around wonderful food. My husband and I enjoy this splurge when the kids aren't around. Enjoy!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I really want to like Duke's because they have a good selection of beer that you cannot find everywhere else. Unfortunately, the beer selection cannot save the terrible service and heading downhill food quality.

My wife and I decided to give Duke's another chance the other night. We had not been there in months because we were tired of the bad service and food quality, but we wanted to give them another shot. Never again.

This was on a Wednesday evening, and we just wanted to stop by and have a beer. The bar was crowded without any seats available. I asked the hostess if there were any tables available outside since it was rather cool for July and thought that maybe people didn't want to be there. I told her that we just wanted to have a couple of beers, but there was no seating in the bar. No, there was a wait list. No problem, she was nice about it. She then offered us a table in the bar area that has a sign on it reserving it for dining customers. We asked if it was okay if we were just going to have a beer or two and she said yes. This is where it went downhill.

After waiting for about 5 minutes with no waitress in sight, I stepped up to the bar (which was about 5 feet away) and waited to get the bartender's attention to order. After another 5 minutes or so, the bartender saw me and I placed our order. Around this time the waitress (who was doubling as another bartender) comes to our table and gives my wife menus. My wife tells her that we have already ordered from the bar and that we were just going to have a beer. The waitress tells us that the table is reserved for dining customers only, and we told her that we knew this and that the hostess sat us there. She replied with an "oh," and walks off to gripe at the hostess (we saw her doing it). A minute later she returns and tells us that we have to leave because the table is reserved for dining customers only. My wife then explains the entire story to the waitress and tells her that I have two bad discs in my back and can't stand at the bar. She responds with another "oh," and walks away.

A few minutes later, a manager comes up to us to apologize for what happened because she had heard about it. She was trying to placate us, and I get that, but the damage was done.

The waitress was simply being greedy and wanted tips and thought that kicking us out (of the restaurant, not the table) was the way to go with this situation. If the manager had fired this moronic waitress on the spot, we would have agreed to come back. Nope - she offered chips and salsa or a pretzel to try to solve the problem. Not good enough.

We used to go to Duke's because of the convenience and the beer selection, but this ridiculous service has absolutely ruined it for us. This was the third or fourth time that the staff did something that was totally unacceptable, and we have had it.

Stay away from this place so that they realize that when they treat customers like crap, customers leave. Maybe I'll open a competing restaurant just to put them out of business.

1  Thank 4cortinas