“Vegan's unite!”

Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Railroad
Transit: Across the street from the Union Pacific Northwest Crystal Lake stop.
Description: Casual gastropub featuring gourmet sandwiches and comfort food featuring locally sourced organic and sustainable foods. Over 140 different Craft Brews and Belgian Ales, 21 of which are on draft.
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

If you're a vegan, this is a great place for you... If you're not, this is still a great place for you. Premium quality meats, cheeses etc. just all around wonderful food. My husband and I enjoy this splurge when the kids aren't around. Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I really want to like Duke's because they have a good selection of beer that you cannot find everywhere else. Unfortunately, the beer selection cannot save the terrible service and heading downhill food quality.

My wife and I decided to give Duke's another chance the other night. We had not been there in months because we were tired of the bad service and food quality, but we wanted to give them another shot. Never again.

This was on a Wednesday evening, and we just wanted to stop by and have a beer. The bar was crowded without any seats available. I asked the hostess if there were any tables available outside since it was rather cool for July and thought that maybe people didn't want to be there. I told her that we just wanted to have a couple of beers, but there was no seating in the bar. No, there was a wait list. No problem, she was nice about it. She then offered us a table in the bar area that has a sign on it reserving it for dining customers. We asked if it was okay if we were just going to have a beer or two and she said yes. This is where it went downhill.

After waiting for about 5 minutes with no waitress in sight, I stepped up to the bar (which was about 5 feet away) and waited to get the bartender's attention to order. After another 5 minutes or so, the bartender saw me and I placed our order. Around this time the waitress (who was doubling as another bartender) comes to our table and gives my wife menus. My wife tells her that we have already ordered from the bar and that we were just going to have a beer. The waitress tells us that the table is reserved for dining customers only, and we told her that we knew this and that the hostess sat us there. She replied with an "oh," and walks off to gripe at the hostess (we saw her doing it). A minute later she returns and tells us that we have to leave because the table is reserved for dining customers only. My wife then explains the entire story to the waitress and tells her that I have two bad discs in my back and can't stand at the bar. She responds with another "oh," and walks away.

A few minutes later, a manager comes up to us to apologize for what happened because she had heard about it. She was trying to placate us, and I get that, but the damage was done.

The waitress was simply being greedy and wanted tips and thought that kicking us out (of the restaurant, not the table) was the way to go with this situation. If the manager had fired this moronic waitress on the spot, we would have agreed to come back. Nope - she offered chips and salsa or a pretzel to try to solve the problem. Not good enough.

We used to go to Duke's because of the convenience and the beer selection, but this ridiculous service has absolutely ruined it for us. This was the third or fourth time that the staff did something that was totally unacceptable, and we have had it.

Stay away from this place so that they realize that when they treat customers like crap, customers leave. Maybe I'll open a competing restaurant just to put them out of business.

1  Thank 4cortinas
Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you are throwing a private party in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago Dukes Alehouse on main street in Crystal Lake is the place to go. Being just off the Metra it's an easy location to get to from all over the city and for out of towners. Jill, the coordinator was a pleasure to work with and all the help you get during the party its the place to be. We had rented out the whole upstairs for a surprise party for my wife and it went off with out a hitch. Jill let my crew get in early and prep the place for guest arrivals decorating with streamers and party favors.....the food was awesome as almost every guest (close to 80 ) all commented that the taco bar was one of the best they have ever had. Hats off to Dukes Alehouse and Kitchen and their staff for hosting a great freaking party for us! Thanks again Jill!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Disappointing all around. If our server wasn't so cool this would have been a horrible experience. Our food was mediocre at best, even for bar food! They need to step it up, especially with other great bars and eateries nearby! Management may need an overhaul and just a general upkeep, deep cleaning wouldn't hurt! May be back soon to give it a second shot depending on the entertainment, and or guests.