“Pleasant enough hotel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Crystal Lake
South East England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough hotel”
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed here in May 2008 for a couple of days and our stay was pleasant enough. Room was clean and quiet despite being close to quite a busy road. Breakfast was ok but not a buffet and our Best for Breakfast package only entitled us to $20 towards the cost of it. Staff seemed a bit flummoxed about us ordering cereals and bacon,egg etc and everything arrived together the first morning and the second we had to go and find someone to take our order although there was an apology for this. The hotel seemed very quiet but we did hear other guests saying to avoid the rooms over the lake/park because of some noisy A/C units but we were overlooking the carpark so this was not an issue. We did wonder if the hotel is about to be refurbished as there were people with clipboards measuring up generally and certainly the decor looks very dated.This may have happened recently as the website does descibe the hotel as newly renovated.
Staff were helpful and polite so all in all while not a particularly memorable stay it was pleasant enough and was about a good 3.5* hotel and with refurbishment and a better breakfast could go up a notch.

• Liked — friendly staff on reception
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JENNIE B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Pittsburg
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Stayed at the hotel for business. When I checked in, I asked the desk where the fitness area was. She explained that the health club was on the lower level. Went up to room, which was clean, called the desk to request feather pillows, had them delivered within two minutes. I couldn't believe how fast I received them. Went down to the fitness area and was fully surprised to find they actually have a full health club for their guests. It had a sauna, pool, full weight equipement, free weights and all the cardio machines you could need. Usually hotels have just two treadmills and bike. THEY HAVE IT ALL!!!! Look forward to my next stay.

• Liked — Health Club
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Hoffman Estates, IL
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We stayed at the hotel on the 4th of July. The room (#509) and hotel was adequate but is definetely could have used a little more attention. They allowed us to check in early which I appreciated but the room didn't seem clean. Potato chips were on the floor, black hairs on the white sheets & pillow cases (gross!). The dust ruffles had some sort of splatter marks all over them. The curtains had either blood or chocolate smeared on them. The bathtub was disgusting (mildew in the cracks, the tub was old and some sort of mat was permanently glued in the bottom of the tub. It was awful. I was afraid to walk barefoot on the carpet in the room and in the bathroom! Then, we went to get ice in the ice bucket and my son found a large container of chili (i think) from KFC with mold growing on the top!!!!! That was disgusting! I found the cleaning crew in the hall and asked for another. She sprayed it and wiped it out and returned it to me. Then, we had a used room-service tray outside of our door from when we checked into our room 12:30 p.m. until we finally asked the front desk to have someone remove it at 6:30 p.m. It was a ceasar salad (uncovered) that made me sick to my stomach to watch sit there for 6.5 hours. The windows in the room appeared never to have been washed - we watch the fireworks from our room and I washed the window with a washcloth. Much better then. I was most disappointed to learn that the whirlpool in the pool area was out of order. That was one of the reasons I picked this hotel - for a whirlpool & pool. The fitness club in the hotel is called Club One and locals purchase memberships to it. They use the fitness equipment and pool. A member told me the whirlpool has been closed since April. How long does it take to fix? Overall it was a quiet stay - just clean the place us a bit and we might be back.

• Disliked — Rooms need more attention - not clean.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Crystal Lake hotels

Ewing, il
Reviewed June 29, 2007

This hotel has a dance club called "Crystals" on the first floor and it seems that people who party there on weekends book rooms in the hotel. My wife did not get to sleep until about 2 AM because of people periodically shouting or having loud conversations in the hall. One of them started an argument with someone so we called Security and he came up promptly and handled the problem, however we could still hear the person who started the argument yelling in the room next to us. Also, the lounge outside the hotel restaurant was generally dirty and we had a hard time finding a chair without food or fresh food stains on it and there was burned coffee on the bottom of the in-room coffee pot.
We have stayed in numerous other similiar types of hotels like Country Inns and have never had experiences like this.

• Liked — Nothing in particular
  • Disliked — Noise and lack of sleep
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank msdb40
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 5, 2007

My daughter and I stayed here while she participated in a volleyball tournament at the Sky High facilities. We stayed for two days during the weekend the area experienced blizzard-like conditions. The hotel is not bad, but it is not above average either. First, the good things about the hotel: the room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was updated with good lighting. The lobby was pleasant and well-lit. I noticed they had a couple of computers set up with internet access. Nice touch. Next, the bad things about the hotel: the bathroom is not big enough for two people. It was very frustrating trying to get ready in the morning and maneuver in and around the bathroom. The breakfast at the hotel was disappointing. They didn't offer a good variety. For example, one day it was eggs and the next day pancakes. The only other breakfast offering both days was toast and cold cereal. It is fair to note that our group had an arrangement with the hotel to have a conference room set up for breakfast with dedicated service. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant and cannot comment on how good or bad the food is there. Overall, this hotel is not bad and does meet my minimum daily requirements. However, if I were choosing a hotel and I was not part of a large group, I probably would have stayed at another local hotel.

• Liked — Proximity to restaurants and to highway
  • Disliked — Small size of bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007
SE, WI
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Based on the reviews I read, it is exactly what we expected. The room was very clean and well maintained. One minor thing in the bathtub, the stopper was missing. The carpeting in the lobby and the stairway going down to the pool and fitness center is in serious need of cleaning or replacement. The fountain that was under the stairway was empty, if they are not going to use it why not use the space for something.
They were nice enough to allow our group to use one of the boardrooms for a place to meet and order pizza.
Overall the experience was very good.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2006

I recently spent a weekend with my family at the Holiday Inn in Crystal lake, Il. I normally stay at Hilton hotels (I am a Hilton Honors member) but seeing there weren't any in the area, we chose the Holiday Inn. The service and quality of the hotel was exceptional. The staff was very helpful, and always friendly. The healthclub was much larger than that of most hotels, and my kids loved the pool area. The rooms were neat, clean and comfortably fit my family of four. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington
WaterFront Hotel & Marina
WaterFront Hotel & Marina
#1 of 1 in Johnsburg

Been to Holiday Inn Crystal Lake? Share your experiences!