“JUST OK” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Crystal Lake
Chicago, Illinois
“JUST OK”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I would like to complain about the "we ID everyone" policy.. Where do I begin. oh ya, I am a 75 year old man that just had a severe heart attack and when the lovely worker heidi brought up my drink she asked for my ID... Really!! I am 75 years old!!!!!!!!!! of course I left it in my car so I had to go all the way out to my car still out of breath from my heart attack. I really appreciate the ID process with having minors, but come on give me a break!!! If you can tell someone is in there +40s you should not have to show ID especially for myself! Unfortunately you lost my business because of this policy. I have been to other local hotels and they do not ask for my ID. shame on you guys!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
hicrystallake, Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments on our “ID Policy”, we love to hear feedback from our guests so we can better provide service to our clientel. As you stated your age and of course the situation we understand your concern with going back out to your vehicle for your license to show to our employee for alcohol consumption at the Lobby Bar. As a business we try to be consistent in our policy and we recognize that sometimes circumstances to arise with guests, we do apologize if this caused discomfort and we have notified our Food and Beverage team of the issue you stated. Thank you for providing us with your feedback and when you come back to the Three Oaks Lounge please stop by and introduce yourself to our team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Bloomfield, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I spent one night here and found the staff to be helpful and everything was as-expected for a $120 hotel.

I think the hotel has been around a while. I couldn't tell if the room was recently re-done but it was definitely clean and the king bed was just right.

The lobby seemed large and clean and there was a sports bar that was well attended when I checked in after 10pm.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hicrystallake, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our property and we look forward to seeing you in the future. We are excited to hear feedback our property and the amenities we have to offer. If you have an opportunity to please "like us" on facebook.
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has the potential to be great but it really needs a renovation badly. The room was clean and that's #1 with me.... BUT, the room is dated, no desk, no microwave, no refrigerator , TV was typical poor hotel selection. Was a flat screen but not HD? Watched TV on my iPad with my Internet air card because the hotel Internet was dog slow?
No included breakfast? Resturant was ...OK. Not great. Expensive.
AC & heat unit was old and noisy. Extremely cold air was leaking in from the AC unit and the wall plugs? Yikes....
I left a note at the front desk with a list of items that needed attention and only one of them was corrected??
Again, looks like the owners are just taking the $ and not reinvesting in their property?
Note to owners and management: you have a property with great classy potential but your not involved and connected to your guests. Renovate, renew, update and make your hotel a place that corporate customers request.
Unfortunately, when I return on business I will request better accommodations .

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank kernvilledaddy
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel. We would like to apolgize that you found out hotel to be a little dated and would like you to know that we are taking your comments very seriously. The hotel has been doing many renovations along the way but unfortunately, some of the items that have not yet been completed are apparently very important to you. We hope you will give another try in the future as we complete more of our upgrades. I am confident you will be quite pleased.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I, along with our two pomeranians, stay for business frequently at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn. The facility and grounds are beautiful and the staff is always very friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floors facing pond have great view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for teh terric comments about our Hotel. We are thrilled that you stay with us often and really appreciate the fantastic feedback. Hope to see you again in the near future!
Madison, wi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited this hotel earlier this week. To begin with, we found that EVERYTHING you did took forever. Sitting in the bar, the bartender would rather talk about stuff on her iPad with other employees than tend to the other patrons. It took almost 30 minutes to get her attention, not to mention follow up once we had our drinks. The first morning, waiting by the restaurant area we waited, again, for someone to seat us. After 20 minutes, we ended up leaving and going to McDonalds. The third evening, after checking the hotel amenities guide for the workout center hours, worked in the restaurant until 10:00. The amenities guide says (and I quote) "Our Fitness Center is located on the Lower Level, near the indoor pool. Open 5:30 a.m. - 11 p.m., daily...” I went down to the fitness center at 10:05 and found every light to be off and the fitness center closed. After asking the front desk, I was told “the fitness center closed at 10:00 and had been that way for years (to her knowledge)”. To me, this is just another indication of laziness. You mean to tell me they can’t update ONE PAGE? The ONLY redeeming point to our stay was the server during our Wednesday night meal in the restaurant. Service was prompt and cheerful.

The room was fine overall except the heater, the thing sounded like aircraft taking off when running. You could not turn it off to escape the sound because the windows leaked like crazy and you would freeze to death.

They DO have internet access available in the lobby and rooms. The service barely worked and when it did was VERY slow. Do you see a pattern?

These small things added up quickly in my mind. If you just need a bed for the evening and don’t mind the noise you’re probably good. If you require anything else from the hotel I suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chris T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Chris T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apology for the unacceptable service you received during your stay and any inconvenience your room accommodations may have caused you. I am also sorry for the problems you encountered with our Internet Access. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Crystal Lake hotels

New Boston, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I wouldn't think this area should be considered a vacation spot, but if you're in the area for a meeting, Little League tournament (there was one while I was there) or whatever else, this is about the best place to stay. The staff were very good, friendly people and the hotel was very clean. The room was large with a kitchenette which I really didn't use much. The bed was comfortable and the A/C ran very well with a fan that stayed on all the time - one of my pet peeves. The bathroom was spotless.

My room overlooked a small pond where I could see foot-long Carp swimming around. I went down to the pond to feed them but they weren't very interested.

The only non-accolade is the restaurant on site. Don't expect great food and they're not cheap, either. There are many restaurants if you wanted to explore in downtown Crystal Lake, however. Still, the convenience of having a restaurant on site, even a mediocre on is a plus.

Over all, this is a very nice hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending it if you're in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Recon71
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so very much for the wonderful comments about our hotel. We are very proud of it as well as our staff. I was sorry to hear that you did not find our restaurant up to the same standard as the rest of the hotel and you may be interested to know that we have focused much attention to this area in the last couple of month. Our guest responses tell us that we are definately headed in the right direction and hope you will try us again soon. The Chef dares you!
Thanks again!
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

HI chains are a well known commodity - same-old, same-old. If you're in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and are looking for a totally friendly, clean, guest-oriented Holiday Inn hotel, this one is the ticket. We've stayed there at least 6 times over the last 3 years (it's close to family) and every time has been excellent. I really screwed up my last reservation (dates wrong, used points plus charged) and without a blink of an eye, the Front Desk said - no problem, we can get it straightened, don't worry about it. She didn't even pause to think it through, just did it!!! They have a nice pool (grandkids love it), a nice, although small workout room (daughter loves it), a friendly bar, if you're inclined and predicable breakfast fare. Lots of convention, meeting traffic. Bell Captain has been there forever and is the sweetest person. Servers at breakfast are a dream!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow what an amazing review. I was thrilled to read the tremendous comments about the staff and particularly what you stated about the front desk. I hope we will so see you for stay number 7 and since you mentioed the pool, you may be interested to know that we just completely painted it inside and out. It looks fantastic! We hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crystal Lake
Hampton Inn - McHenry
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest

Been to Holiday Inn Crystal Lake? Share your experiences!