“Great Italian Beef”

Portillo's Hot Dogs
Ranked #4 of 139 Restaurants in Crystal Lake
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 4, 2014

These 2 restaurants have separate menus but share seating. Portillo's Beefs and Hot Dogs are wonderful. Barnelli's fare is mostly pasta some sandwiches but generally the food is bland. They both do a great business it is always crowded during prime lunch and dinner hours usually you can find seating quickly. I always pick up 5 lbs of beef for parties.

1  Thank mogamom1

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I feel they are always consistent and fresh . My only gripe is that no matter what time of the day it is, it's a zoo inside. Really loud and chaotic . I prefer to drive through and eat at home. But if you have a bunch of screaming kids and want a laid back atmosphere it's perfect. Wish the prices were a touch more reasonable but you can't go wrong with anything on their menu

1  Thank AABTK1
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was looking for a local Chicago restaurant while working in Crystal Lake. I was interested that out of 133 restaurants listed, a "Hot Dog Shop" could be ranked #1. So with a co-worker in toe after work we were off to Portill'o Hot Dogs. My first surprise was when I open the door. The Crystal Lake location has a Gangster / Roaring 20'ies Theme. The restaurant was bright and very festive. I felt right at home. Portillo's is a place your own order at the counter and wait for your ticket to be called for pickup. After reviewing all the Hot Dog and Sandwich choices, I chose the adjacent Pasta Bar. That's right with all the great Hot Dog and Sandwich items, I chose pasta. I ordered a full dinner and added 3 meatballs with chocolate cake for desert. The meat sauce and meat balls appeared home made and were fantastic. I could not have got a better authentic pasta dinner in the north end of Boston. Yes, and I need to go back and this time try the Chili Cheese Dog. :)

1  Thank Ken L
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Probably the best hot dog in Crystal Lake and Ive always a good meal here. Good prices, ingredients and service.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

What can you say - It's Portillo's so of course it's good. I have been to this location twice and just like all the other locations it was the same good standards maintained as the other locations. Only downside was the construction going on right here but can't blame them for that.