“Consistent over the years”
Review of Merichka's

Merichka's
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Crest Hill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Consistent over the years”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

What makes a restaurant "iconic?" Usually it's the fact that it has been around for a long time and nothing changes. That's a good description of Merichka's. Famous for their version of a Poor Boy sandwich (not the New Orleans style), they have never strayed from their recipes over the years. The only change has been the price. Cube steak on a bun with garlic butter shouldn't cost this much. It remains one popular restaurant with local residents and those who come back to town for a visit.

• Visited September 2013

Seneca, Illinois
“torn”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

As a repeat customer at Merichka's, I have often tried different items on the menu. It doesn't matter what I order, I always leave happiest with the salad and appetizers.

The homemade house dressing, similar to a classic French, it always spot on. I like to order it with a creamy garlic dressing on the side and mix the two at the table. Delish. The salads are small and plain, but with that dressing, it doesn't matter.

Onion rings are hand breaded, thick sliced, and consitantly tasty. And I love the sliver serving platters with the red and white checkered table cloth.

I have had 3 different sandwiches to date, the poorboy, the yodel burger, and the spicy chicken hoagie. You must love greasy garlic to be a fan, which I am. The chicken was a little overcooked, making the sandwich somehow dry and greasy at the same time, but the flavor was pretty good, none the less. As a personal preference, I would like the option of lettuce and tomato for my sandwich.

As a server, I have to comment on the service we received during our last visit. She was very kind and welcoming, although we believe that she may have forgotten to put our order in, as we saw table after table that came in after us be served their dinners while we waited. She did come back to the table and tell us twice that the kitchen was really backed up, but looking around at empty tables made us question how or why? Once we were finished with dinner, we asked for boxes, which she promptly brought. Upon putting my remaining dinner in the box, I noticed a hair. Being a blonde, it was obvious this one did not belong to me. When I told her about it, she asked to see it. Once she was sure there really was hair in the to go box, she asked if I would like a new box? REALLY? She informed me that the hair was probably just in the box when she brought it to the table, not on my plate the whole time, so it was ok. She also hoped that it wasn't hers, as she "makes sure to put a lot of mousse in ther hair" before she comes to work. With that, she left the bill on the table and I left with a pit in my stomach.

I serve. I understand that things happen. What I don't understand is that there was nothing done to try and rectifiy the situation. A comp on the bill? A replacement dinner to go, as I had probably eaten a third of my meal after all of the delicious salad. But nothing. She didn't even apologize until she presented the bill.

I love the story and the idea behind this family owned restaurant. But I am sadly leaving with average food and a server that, in my opinion, handled a hairy situation very poorly.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank BeulahJoon
Streator,Il
“will not return”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Read reviews so all 3 of us ordered the poor boy and and did not like the taste . Price was expensive , base sandwich was 7.75 plus 1.50 for cheese plus 1.50 each for mushrooms and onions so it was over 12.00 for the sandwich and the meat was tough and didnt like the taste
Could of had a 7.00 steak and cheese subway instead . Service was outstanding

• Visited August 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must love GARLIC”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I travel to Joliet about once every other month for the last 15 years. I make it a point to eat there at least once while in town. Have to admit I have never had anything except the po-boy and an Appletini. Have never been disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
Plainfield,IL
“Happy Return Customer”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We have been customers before and we will be back. We came for lunch this past weekend and had another great meal. Our service was fast and helpful as always. If this is the first visit, try the Po Boy Sandwhich, they are great. We had two and even had enough for left overs later that night. Yummy. Great prices and a nice clean restaurant. Great local institution.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Merichka's? Share your experiences!